Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Another Dimension of Noob-ness (Norvel Related)!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Another Dimension of Noob-ness (Norvel Related)!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:16 AM
TCrafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Dimension of Noob-ness (Norvel Related)!

Just picked up a Norvel .074 used from a guy at our fly field and I know enough about these engines to be dangerous. I'm thinking of putting it in a Herr Lil Extra but, if I set up the plane for this engine, will I be able to get the necessary "stuff" to keep this engine running (glow plugs, etc). And, heaven forbid, what if I find out that the engine isn't in top shape, then I've got a plane set up for it but I can't us it in it. Just trying to decide whether there's another LA engine in my future or should I invest in this engine. Engine seems tight, good compression but I won't know until it runs.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:50 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Another Dimension of Noob-ness (Norvel Related)!

Your gut feel is right on - There are simply too many risks in purchasing a Norvel these days. Please send it my way ASAP.

OK, slight kidding aside, you can get after-market heads that let you use Turbo plugs instead of the standard Norvel glow-button, but aside from that if you bust a carb or bend a con rod you are largely SOL. Some Norvel parts are available on *bay from time to time, but not frequently and usually at a premium price.

For your Extra, if you can keep it below 20oz then the .074 will be fine. Above that, and you should be looking at a .10 or .15, or you could use a PAW .061 diesel.

EG
Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are nice running engines, but from personal experience, I would get a smaller plane for the .074, it will fly the Herr extra (not in my case) but only marginally....I had one in the Goldberg tiger 400 park flyer, the electric motor it came with sucked ,the .074 was a perfect engine for it, or one of the simple series would be good......I'd go with an LA .15 for the Extra......imho...Rog
Old 05-11-2008, 04:43 PM
TCrafty

That's what I was thinking. I do have an OS 15 CV-A that I can put in it. I think I'll go that way. I like the novelty of the Norvel but I was even wondering about it pulling the extra around. Not sure what I'll use the Norvel on but it'll definitely be a keeper. Maybe I'll check out one of those E-flight SE-5s or something.

thanks for the responses!