Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tired of JUNK

Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
SGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tired of JUNK

" Doesn't look like making the airbleed adjustable on the Mp Jet is going to work, not enough meat on the carb housing anywhere to put a screw. Their 2-needle carb must've used a different casting."
DT.
the MP Jets carbs are the same, if you look at the throttle arm side of the barrel you will see a threaded hole this is were the low end needle screws in - the hole just isnt bored right through. All you need is the low end needle and drill the hole.
Stewart
Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
digital_trucker

Any info on what the low end needle looks like and the size of the hole? I don't have a 2-needle carb to compare.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 AM
SGC

Unfortunately my only MP Jet with carb is a single needle type too, am trying to find a twin needle carb for my BB diesel.
Stewart
Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

Any info on what the low end needle looks like and the size of the hole? I don't have a 2-needle carb to compare.

The needle is approx. .039" in dia.. (A # 60 drill bit fits snugly, but not interference.) The threaded end is approx. .116" dia. across the threads. (3 mm) My thread gauge & I are about 1500 miles apart, & my eyes are bad enough that I can't count threads, but the Hi speed needle thread pitch looks to be the same. The overall length is approx. .587". Of that, approx. .195" is threaded. If you machine a needle, you'll still have to put a plug into the fixed bleed hole. The existing cavity in the crankcase is rather large, approx. .300" x .209". Might consider filling it with Devcon F, & drilling it out for some existing usable carb??? ........ George K
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86975.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	958742  
Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, you guys are confusing me on this MP-Jets 2-needle carb thread.

I have both the glo and diesel RC versions and they have a little screw type needle on the throttle arm side.

If I pull the primary needle and the screw needle I can see daylight through the spray bar so mine do not need drilling.

Here is a picture of the screwhead needle side of the carb.

Name:	Zx71416.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	958783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65641.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	958784  
Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
SGC

Dan, Both yours look to be BB type engines which are supplied with the twin needle carbs, wereas the plain bearinged engines (silver/plain head) were supplied with the single needle carbs. Oh just to confuse things there was a late production run of plain bearinged diesels with the black anodised head and prop driver- I have 1 with a C/L venturie.
Stewart
Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed Dan,
I was confused also and looked at three of mine this morning (diesel BB,PB and Glow) They all have the same carb as shown in Dan's photo. The paperwork reference a SN-1 carb. I have a couple more and even a carb or two bought independatly but they are down at the Hanger and I woun't get there till this weekend.

Any way, I've not run my glow but the diesels idle very well with this carb.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:24 PM
SGC

ORIGINAL: SGC

Dan, Both yours look to be BB type engines which are supplied with the twin needle carbs, wereas the plain bearinged engines (silver/plain head) were supplied with the single needle carbs. Oh just to confuse things there was a late production run of plain bearinged diesels with the black anodised head and prop driver- I have 1 with a C/L venturie.
Stewart

Name:	Da83140.gif
Views:	10
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	958969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59250.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	958970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71646.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	958971  
Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I get it. The PB engines have the simple carb. Or should I say "Some of the PB engines)

It's all to much for my pretty little head.

I'm going back to my old faithful McCoy .09 diesels.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 PM
digital_trucker

So how does the inside end of that idle needle work? I take it there is no airbleed hole in the barrel then? It actually adjusts the fuel end of the idle mixture?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 AM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

I take it there is no airbleed hole in the barrel then? It actually adjusts the fuel end of the idle mixture?
Yes, I think you're correct. Move your carb lever open-to-close. Notice that the barrel moves right-to-left. That's because the retaining groove in the barel is cut at an angle (helix). Now, look at the pic that I posted earlier. The low speed "needle" is not a needle at all, pretty much just a cylinder, or plug. As the barrel valve is closed it is stopped at the lo end by the mech. stop (or transmitter setting) This sets the minimum air flow. Then, the low speed "needle" is adjusted to set the restriction of the fuel. Now, as the carb is opened, the low speed needle is taken out of the way (by the helix cut in the barrel), & only the hi speed needle affects fuel flow. ........................ George K.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:34 PM
digital_trucker

Gotcha, pretty much what I thought. Shouldn't be hard to make one, I think.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:06 PM
digital_trucker

Got my PAW .049 today from Mr. Clutton. What a little pretty! It was nice to smell it too (he pre-runs 'em for all of us diesel dummies). Brings back the memories of my PAW .19 I had back in the '80s hauling around a Kadet Jr. (good vertical it had).

I hope the fuel comes soon, I can't wait to run it
Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 PM
makoman1860

Not mixing your own?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

DT, I think you might be the first member of this forum who will be able to give us regular 1/2A diesel flight reports. There have been other reports before [with conversions], but they have usually ended with photos of broken parts. Hopefully you end up with a 1/2A engine that does it all.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 PM
digital_trucker

It's been so many years since I've run a diesel (and even then not much) I wouldn't even THINK of mixing my own. If the PAW .049 performs anything like the .19 I useta had, it's gonna be a winner.

Luckily I kinda like the smell of kerosene (I'm a trucker after all) and the smell of ether (I'm crazy too).
Old 05-30-2008, 09:52 PM
makoman1860

Well I suppose I could understand that. I just could never see spending 10 bucks a pint ( or whatever it is now) for what costs me 2 to mix quick. Ive never run any ignition improvers, never really found a need to, and it lessens the corrosion risk quite a bit. Ive never understood why some of the diesel "conversion" places treat it like such a mystery. Ive run the heck out of my 1/2A diesel engines on a 60 year old formula. Oh well, I suppose they have to make their money too. Well if your ever driving through WI and want some blended up let me know!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH count on that big boy.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 PM
digital_trucker

I get through WI once in a while. I figure I can't go too wrong with some of Clutton's fuel though...
Old 05-30-2008, 11:43 PM
makoman1860

Nope that you cant go wrong with. Eric has done much to bring "real" diesel engines to the US for a second go around I think. The nice thing is that he sells the tried and true technology fuels and engines that have been around for just about ever. My PAW .049 has to be about the most reliable 1/2A engine out there, and spinning a 7-3 APC at 12k isnt bad either! I lost count of how much fuel ive run through mine, in 3 different airplanes, but it amazing how that ol' iron piston and steel cylinder keep cranking away hour after hour. Its almost as convienient as.....an electic! Fuel it up, give it a little prime, 3 or 4 flips, adjust the compression and mixture a tad, and chuck it in the air. Pint of fuel lasts a whole weekend plus of flying....ahh what fun.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

CP,

The only diesel project of mine that I reported on in this forum was the PAW .049 powered all-FFF model that I flew a couple of times - once at one of Rog's events. It was a converted 3-D electric design that really didn't lend itself to Internal Combustion power but I was curious as to how the foam would hold up under the ether in the fuel. So I put it in storage for a year and there were only a small place or two where I hadn't sealed the raw cut edge of the foam but other than that it was all OK.

My original intention was to then fly it with a glow engine but like I said it really wasn't designed for IC power. Right now my favorite diesel engine (PAW 033) does not have a home but I haved it and two other small PAWs mounted on a sophisticated test fixture (board) that I take out and run the liitle jewels once in a while (love that smell). FWIW I'm hoping to hear that I'll be allowed to buy a Mills (sorta) replica from Down Under "any day now". Watch for it in a Tomboy coming to this forum soon.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That would be a cool project to follow, Sir Stenchalot of You-reeka!
Much better than looking at another "1/2A diesel bolted to a picnic table" type thread.
99.9% of all the diesel run time [over about a 10 year span] I ever saw at our local club field was little diesels bolted to a picnic table. I started to think that they all needed 20 hours of bench time to be ready.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 AM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CP, Here are a couple of 1/2a or less Diesels not hauling around a picnic table

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7283054/tm.htm]Jack Rabbit MPJett 1cc (.061" )[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5829626/tm.htm]1938 Mercury - .33cc (.020" ) Peter Burford[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5734554/tm.htm]1939 Lancer .25cc (.015" ) Schlosser[/link]

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: makoman1860

Well I suppose I could understand that. I just could never see spending 10 bucks a pint ( or whatever it is now) for what costs me 2 to mix quick. Ive never run any ignition improvers, never really found a need to, and it lessens the corrosion risk quite a bit. Ive never understood why some of the diesel "conversion" places treat it like such a mystery. Ive run the heck out of my 1/2A diesel engines on a 60 year old formula. Oh well, I suppose they have to make their money too. Well if your ever driving through WI and want some blended up let me know!

Ok, I am from down in milwalkee, and spend a lot of time up there. What is the mix Keosene, castor and Either I'd guess, where do you get the either. Cans of starting fluid?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody try one of these? It's a NorVel and yes it will turn a prop. Just needs a little off the top so to speak. http://cgi.ebay.com/NORVEL-061-Sport...QQcmdZViewItem

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.