Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tired of JUNK

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:09 PM
makoman1860
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tired of JUNK

Uliner,
Unless an engine builder wants otherwise, I have found the old "equal parts" diesel mix to work very well, and be very safe. Simply put its equal parts kerosene, ether, and oil ( castor or aeroshell 120 ). Some of the fixed compression engines have their own special blends needed. Ether can be bought from a few places, but it helps if you have an "in" with a petrol/chemical company. The starting fluid I have found to work very well, with the deere and solder seal "instant" having the highest ether content and working just fine in even sub .5cc engines. I get pint size screw top cans from MSC to keep the fuels in, only a buck or 2 a can. There is a nice feeling of being able to go to tractor supply and get dang near all of your fuel needs.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Rocket Rob, thanks for showing those "little diesel" threads. Those are some great looking projects. The black racer with the MP Jet is mucho caliento [8D]!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
peterburford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good recovery, CP.
I enjoy your quips, was tempted to post a comeback, but thought that I would bide my time and let someone else in first.
I didn't need to wait long!
Maybe we should have an alias to post replies?
Peter
Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the scaled down Old Timers with RC and tiny diesels. Keep the pictures coming.

Hey CP, if people think Led Zeppelin is old, what does that mean for me who still appreciates Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Harry James and others from the swing era who made such fabulous music without all the electronics and gadgets available today?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
combatpigg

Peter, your engine looked great on that old timer. It would be nerve racking to fly it any other way except for RC.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 PM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what does that mean for me who still appreciates Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Harry James and others from the swing era

I think it means You can dance![8D]

Rumor has it Chevy 43 does a pretty good Jive.....
Old 06-05-2008, 12:14 AM
combatpigg

Dan, don't forget Tommy Dorsey! Did you know that ex fed chairman Alan Greenspan was a swing band musician?
It was shocking to hear a young punk at work tell me that Led Zep was old fogie music, and this happened maybe 10 years ago!
Back to the topic.......if I let a small detail like working with JUNK get me down, I would never have stuck with 1/2A in any shape or form. It's just too easy to get a Webra .50 or Rossi .45..you know, the type of engine that starts if you just flick the spinner backwards. Working with standard sized RC gear is also such a slam dunk, if installed with any care it lasts for years.
In spite of putting up with the shortcomings of 1/2A junk, success seems more rewarding. With .40 sized stuff, success is taken more for granted.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:15 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

My Norvel .061 and .074 start with two or three flips on 5% nitro after a prime. The trick getting any of these little engines started is the correct prime, imho. The power isn't great on 5% but it's all I fly in my other planes. Everyone in my area has switched to electric on small aircraft. It's still fun to bring a glow plane out, start the engine and have it run well. For me it's the same feeling you get from building your own plane or designing a muffler or smoke system and have it perform well.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:23 AM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Funny, but my tanked Reedies are my best running Coxes. The only thing special I do is install Nystrom's tubing inside. Go figure.

I have an AME that will sometimes run a WOT, but dies every time I throttle down. That's one I've given up on.

David
You can get a Big Mig style, piston and cylinder from LiteMachines for only 25 dollars. The downside is that you get an extra crank and crankcase. What it is, is that they're selling off all their engines at a deep discount. It used to cost 25 dollars for just a piston and cylinder replacement.

Once you pop in that five port cylinder, you'll find that you've converted your AME to a Big Mig which had the reputation of idling and throttling much better. From there, do this, from this thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7602431/tm.htm

A Norvel, Revlite .061 with a bolt on muffler (like the .074) and a means to adjust the mixture at idle would be the perfect, 1/2A RC engine. Maybe CS would buy the tooling and make the necessary changes.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 AM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: makoman1860

Nope that you cant go wrong with. Eric has done much to bring "real" diesel engines to the US for a second go around I think. The nice thing is that he sells the tried and true technology fuels and engines that have been around for just about ever. My PAW .049 has to be about the most reliable 1/2A engine out there, and spinning a 7-3 APC at 12k isn't bad either! I lost count of how much fuel Ive run through mine, in 3 different airplanes, but it amazing how that ol' iron piston and steel cylinder keep cranking away hour after hour. Its almost as convenient as.....an eclectic! Fuel it up, give it a little prime, 3 or 4 flips, adjust the compression and mixture a tad, and chuck it in the air. Pint of fuel lasts a whole weekend plus of flying....ahh what fun.
Here's a Norvel .06, with RJL head, doing 16K on an APC 7 X 3. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4RmNMVH1nSI The downside, and it's a big one, is that it will not hand start, no matter what. A BIG plus for PAWs and all traditional diesels. All the Norvel conversions need an electric starter.

And I agree, steel and iron do make a diesel last a long, long time. AND, the PAW, despite no muffler, sounds a lot better. Must be the circumferential porting.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:30 AM
digital_trucker

Oh god no, don't let CS at them until they can demonstrate they can build what they already have satisfactorily. The last thing we need is yet another worthless blob of low-grade aluminum.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:12 AM
AndyW

You're right. What was I thinking. Getting desperate, I guess.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Andy,

I bought a spare piston/cylinder set from them a few years ago. Still no parts listed on website. Need to call Lite Machines for parts and prices? I see they are developing and or producing dual rotor UAV products for the military. I wonder if they are in the design phase or if they have a working model of the finished product.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:10 AM
AndyW

Yes, I've always called them. In retrospect, they may not have any .06 units left. Last I did business with them, I bought several of their .07 heli engines. That was for the piston and cylinders primarily till I saw that the case in these are brass bushed at both ends. Superior to the original Norvels in my opinion. So I converted one of these to a standard carb along with adapting a proper muffler to it. There were some idling issues but recent experience has shown that this might be helped by using the OS P3, ultra-hot plug.

They may still have the .06 version,, worth a try.

But as Jeffie posted, http://cgi.ebay.com/NORVEL-061-Sport...QQcmdZViewItem that looks a lot like the .06 heli engine targeted to be used in cars. The price there, is equivalent to the price of just a piston and cylinder. Neat.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 AM
digital_trucker

Just for the fun of it, I contacted Horizon Hobby (the folks who developed the Evolution engines with Sanye), asking about the possibility of a 1/2A Evolution engine. Might be worth a try!