Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Pending shortage of nitromethane

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Pending shortage of nitromethane

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:49 AM
GrahamC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pending shortage of nitromethane

I just read this on another forum. Don't know if it is founded in truth or whether it is a knee jerk reaction to current happenings.

Hello Alll,

There is a very severe shortage of Nitro methane developing. Many of the Model airplane suppliers are or have ran out of Nitro. Mike Lee at SIG said that it is rumored that the shortage is caused by the earthquake in China shutting down the factories that are the main producers of the fuel component. There is only one producer of Nitro in the US and they do not sell to the model airplane fuel producers.

So the short story is that if you need fuel get it now! Due to NASS�s contract with SIG they have our mix on the shelf and the price will not change. The fuel for the Nationals, most of the contests in the Midwest and LA area of California has been ordered by the CD�s. These orders were shipped by SIG today. Any other CD holding speed contests should place their orders with Barry Tippett to insure that they will have contest fuel.

Dave Mark

Editor- SpeedTimes

[email protected]
cheers, Graham
Old 05-25-2008, 09:06 AM
panzerd18

Default RE: Pending shortage of nitromethane

Or an underhand marketing tactic to get everyone into a buying frenzy...
Old 05-25-2008, 09:08 AM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past I've paid around $1000.00 a drum for nitro including shipping. I'm ordering from a drag racing fuel supplier for 99.97% pure Chinese nitro. I called last week for a replacement drum and was told the price had gone up. It was now $1,400.00(!) without shipping (and that had gone up a bunch); further, they didn't have any[>:] but $700.00 would put my name on a drum due in in early June. The good news continues... The price was projected to go up another $600.00 in the next six months.

I don't know about Sig or any other model fuel supplier but my cost to mix fuel is skyrocketing.

Bill
Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Glow fuel is one item that has held its' price pretty consistant since I got into the hobby.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Mr. Mugen

Is there anything we cherish that the chinese don't have a hand in? I am suprised Walmart doesn't carry fuel.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:44 AM
wjvail

Glow fuel is one item that has held its' price pretty consistant since I got into the hobby.
When was that? I remember being pissed when 25% Fox Missile Myst hit $7.00 a gallon! K&B glow plugs were 69c... Still, I get your point. Fuel really hasn't gone up much in the last 10 years. That could mean one of two things. This is just a big scare or we are long over due for a big jump in price.

There may be shortages due to production closures but an unspoken is the crashing of the US dollar. I noticed this morning the US dollar is BELOW the Canadian dollar. Buying from China is only going to get more expensive.

Bill
Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 AM
combatpigg

I only go back far enough to remember McCoy plugs for a buck each.
It would be interesting to know how much glow fuel is consumed, plus all the other nitro-meth fuel used by motor sports world wide.
How much do you figure a Top Fueler uses to make just one pass?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

According to Wikipedia auto racing is a minor consumer of Nitromethane:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane

David
Old 05-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

How much do you figure a Top Fueler uses to make just one pass?
From racecarbook.com

Top Fuel (2005)

Top Fuel In the Top Fuel class, the fuel volumes are greater. Four gallons of nitromethane consumption is the typical idle fuel volume. Several gallons of nitro consumption are the norm for the run.

Fuel capacity of 20 gallons is a typical size.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:28 AM
scudrunner77

10-12 gallons..... http://www.atozcollections.com/topfuel-01.htm

First time my dad took me down to SIR to watch top fuelers some guys in the front row had hot dogs on sticks stuck in the fence towards the track.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:52 AM
combatpigg

Last time I checked it was $100 for a weekend pass at a major event, like the NW Nationals.
Anyone who likes motor sports has got to witness Top Fuel and Funny Car at least once.
Nothing could be more intense. The shock waves are almost enough to knock you back into your seat.
The safety record must be better now, it's been a long time since I heard about any calamities.
The worst were the cars flipping over at 280 mph, or engines sending parts into the stands.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:16 PM
wjvail

The safety record must be better now, it's been a long time since I heard about any calamities.
The worst were the cars flipping over at 280 mph, or engines sending parts into the stands.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XIMmCn0VMjo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h_Xt5GUu37c
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kPxtuh44sP0

I think it's somewhat safer for all concerned. Despite the severity of these mishaps, drivers and fans went home for the night (or in the case of the Force accident, shortly after the crash).

Bill
Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 PM
makoman1860

Hmm, I just bought 4 gallons of nitromethane a week ago, price hadnt changed in a year. However they did mention the US govt. cracking down on the business due to some terrorist group using the material in explosives.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:12 PM
skyraider71

Is this just a conspericy to get us all to switch to electrics?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
jj46

http://vpracingfuels.com/article.htm...54616.62469907

Great article, gives some good info. VP claims they sell more nitro for hobby use than racing. It was said today on ESPN2 during the drag races they are now concerned if they will even have enough to finish the season. (The NHRA pro series)
Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
wjvail

In post 3 of this thread (about 1 week ago) I posted that I had reserved a 53 gallon drum of nitro that would normally have cost me $850.00, for $1,400. This morning I noticed that price was now $2,080 (+ shipping)!!!!! That's a 240% increase![:@] If I am not able to pass this cost on to friends, club members and fellow modelers, I will not be able to mix fuel any longer.[:@][>:][X(] If this is a conspiracy, I'm not the one getting rich! I worry that my friends will assume that "Bill is screwing us" when the price goes up.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/anal...5-nitro-1.html

Bill
Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM
KidEpoxy

Given the current powerhouse the SureStart is with 25%,
just how light will we have to make models to run SureStarts on 0% ?

We might be looking at a lot more Texaco-ish models to run 0%,
just to get some sticktime without burning C-Notes for 1/2A flying.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 AM
GrahamC

Nitro is not the be all and end all of making power. The North American Speed Society (NASS) adopted a standard fuel for all IC classes that is 10% nitro 20% (50/50 mix castor/synthetic) oil and the balance alcohol. Speed fliers are setting new records with the new fuel on a fairly regular basis.

The motors have to be set up a little differently for less nitro (ie more compression and a hotter plug to start). Nitro is and always has been the quick way to make a bit more power. Granted the smaller motors tend to be a bit more finicky with less nitro but it is not insurmountable.

I generally use 10% fuel for everything 1/2a through larger .60 size.

cheers, Graham
Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
combatpigg

Tell Don Garlits that nitro isn't the only way to make power.
Take my $40 AP .061 and show me how to replace the power lost from running it on 0% nitro without doing $200+ worth of machine work.
Might as well buy a couple Cyclons and pocket the change.
Even with .15 sized engines, the throttle response is so much crisper with 30% nitro VS .15%
If 0% nitro engines in this size range gave better all around handling there would already be lines wrapped around the block to buy them.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 AM
digital_trucker

mmm - diesel
Old 06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
flyinrog

whole thing sounds like a load to me....Rog
Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
makoman1860

Funny,
Glow engines started out with no nitro, now we assume we cant live without it. Seems to me Nitro was quick and easy fix for marginal engine design. Find a good european or Oz engine and the run great on 5% or less nitro, but their carbs tend to have more work done to them from a tuning standpoint. Higher nitro just gives you a huge AFR band and allows sloppy carb and port design. Imagine if half of these engine companies had to make something that ran on pump gas!
-Aaron

P.S. I always considered Top Fuel engines to be more like a rocket engine with some reciprocating parts in the way, then an real controlled IC engine.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:34 PM
combatpigg

Top Fuel is what it is, the king of the hill for piston engines.
When we run out of nitro, then lines should start forming for Webra, MVVS and Rossi again because the problem will surely be insurmountable for a "sloppy" engine builder like OS
Old 06-02-2008, 02:43 PM
makoman1860

OS? I dont think so, everything I have from them from a .10 FP on up to .40 size run just fine on FAI or 5% fuel. What the fuel is not tolerant of seems to be air leaks in the engine. Hence....Sloppy. Questionable carb sealing, backplates, all those places. The China engines seem to be really bad for this, along with the older K&B stuff I have owned. The people I have known who couldnt get FAI fuel to run in a decent engine....were the type of people better off with an Air Hogs toy in the first place. Yes its more technical and more demanding on the engine, but thats ok. Or maybe I just seem to have exceptional luck.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
combatpigg

Any engine that runs well on 0% can be made to run better with nitro. It is pointless to make it any more complex than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.