Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Who makes a good tach?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Who makes a good tach?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes a good tach?

I have a hobbico I cannot seem to get a good reading with. I get readings all over the place. Nothing is consistant. It seems like the only way I can get good readings is to put a flashlight on the other side. What do you guy's use?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Who makes a good tach?

Mine is a TNC, which is an excellent tach. Unfortunately, Tony sold the design to another company and I think they stopped making tachs.

Try shielding stray light from around the sensor with a tube or electrical tape or something of that nature.

George
Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I used the same $15 tach for 20 years. It will give wild, unsteady garbage readings until you move into the light just right, then the readings will be more steady. If I made my living doing R&D on these engines I'd get a fancy tach, but the cheap one does the job I need.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like a company called Fromeco is now selling the old TNC tachs:

http://www.fromeco.org/Products/05FRCTNC/Default.aspx

David
Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
makoman1860

I bought 2 of NEW TNC tachs from Froneco. Best unit bar none. Not cheap though.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 AM
lildiesel

I use a black plastic 35mm film can as a light shield for the sensor on my tach.

ORIGINAL: gcb

Mine is a TNC, which is an excellent tach. Unfortunately, Tony sold the design to another company and I think they stopped making tachs.

Try shielding stray light from around the sensor with a tube or electrical tape or something of that nature.

George
Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM
chevy43

Are you doing it in the day or night? Night is tough! I can do it now but it isn't easy. If night, then read on the oposite side from the light bulb. Disregard all 3,600 rpm readings - they are just 60 cycle elcetricity reading on the tack. You will need an incandesent bulb. Florecents almost always make the tack read 3,600 RPM...
Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

I have a hobbico I cannot seem to get a good reading with. I get readings all over the place. Nothing is consistant. It seems like the only way I can get good readings is to put a flashlight on the other side. What do you guy's use?

Been there, done that. The same manufacturer must make the Globee too. Piece of heat shrink over the photo cell, flat black paint on the prop, back to the sun, shade the unit from direct sunlight, read through the prop away from the sun, hold my tongue just right, skip around on my left foot, & hope that the planets are in correct alignment. THEN, when none of this works, bring everything into the semi-dark basement, & use the flashlight. Works every time. Anybody notice the similarities between this scenario & that of trying to get one of the sub-standard engines , (that the present manufactures are providing us with) to run as they should when we purchase them? We must be easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ........................... George K.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I am still using a heathkit tach! [:-]
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

I worked with the guys that own / run Fromeco while I lived in Oregon, they primarily deal with the battery end of things for large
aerobatic planes. Great bunch of guys.

Yes, they did buy the technology from Tony and have begun to manufacture their own units. My understanding
is that they also made some improvements electronics-wise.

From what I have heard, these are the one of the most reliable tachs around.

Brian
Old 05-27-2008, 05:58 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

How are the Ace tachs?

I bought one at a swap shop last winter but have not used it yet.

Rainedav mentioned how to use a flourescent light to calibrate it.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52975.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	958335  
Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Toad

Ive used my tnc tach at dusk, with very little light and it reads fine in bad conditions and I like the fact that you do not have to get it very close to the prop, you can read on the fromeco site what improvements they did to Tony's design, Great tach.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM
rainedave

Brian I recently sold my 18yr old Ace Tachmaster II. It always worked well, but it was hard for me to read without my reading glasses, which I never seem to have handy when I'm running engines. It gave steady readings but the numbers were too small.

Make sure to point it at a fluorescent light and use a screwdriver to adjust the needle to exactly 3600. If I remember correctly, the needle post has a slot for a small screwdriver.

David
Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well I ordered a tnc from airwild just now. I am sick of guessing....hell I just move it until I get the reading I want...haha.

Thanks for all the input once again. I appreciate it more than I could tell ya's here. Nothing like making informed purchases!!!

Kevin
Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little history, hopefully accurate:
Tony C. made his tach for himself because he wasn't satisfied with what was available at the time. If you know Tony, he is a perfectionist, so he put in a lot of design work. Some of his friends wanted a good tach also and Tony started producing them on a commercial basis. Last time I spoke with Tony was when I ordered my tach. At that time, his eyesight was failing and he was relegated to flying large RC planes.

Tony sold his design to Fromeco who, as I understand it, maintain the quality built into TNC tachs. A wrinkle in the process was that the chips used in the TNC tachs soon became unavailable so a redesign was needed.

I tried to read some of the FROMECO advertisement but the font comes up too small to read.

One of the advantages of the TNC (and I assume FROMECO) is that you can take readings in about any light conditions and usually from as far as six feet away. Keeps you away from the prop.

I do not know what they cost now but mine was ~$115.00 some ten years ago...and well worth it.

Of course, this is just one opinion. Some other tachs may be just as good these days.

George
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Mr. Mugen

I paid 95 bucks + shipping. I feel if it is as good as you's say it will pay for itself fast. ( I have no doubts in you guy's and your opinions what so ever). It sure is nice to have a group of knowledgable fella's like you's to help a fella out. Once again thanks guy's. Your advise is taken to heart everytime.

Kevin