Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

AP .061 wasp troubles

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP .061 wasp troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 AM
longdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AP .061 wasp troubles

ORIGINAL: Red Baron Mike

The owner of this Cub has to be the winner of the "Biggest Idiot Award" running the engine with the front bearing hanging out of the case.
Isn't is a lazybee, not a cub?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:47 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the bearing is hanging out of the case, it looks like the bearing seized and spun inside the case, eventually it ate away at the housing till there was nothing left, I have no idea how the cam teeth on that fourstroke are even holding on, it must be riding at the tips of the teeth. Eventually, it will either lose the valve timing or the lower end of the rod from wobbling so much. either way I hope he's not trying to hover it around when that happens, it IS going to stop running very suddenly.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 AM
trumpteb

Wasp .61 muffler deflector. Do they make one?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 AM
digital_trucker

Your LHS should have (or be able to get) a small exhaust deflector. If you can find some silicon tubing of the right size that will work too. In the end, it's kind of pointless though.....the *ahem* 'muffler' on the Wasp (just like the Norvel) doesn't really seal. It's mostly on there for effect, and MAYBE give a slight amount of tank pressure.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If we are lucky, he may even place a classified adv to sell the engine on this website, stating "battle weary, but runs good".
Old 02-05-2009, 04:26 AM
trumpteb

Thanks for the info. This is my first Wasp so I don't know what to expect. I have it in aCloud Ranger" and the muffler port is against the side panel so I guess I just drill a hole in the side and let the

Thanks for the info. I've not used a Wasp before so I don't know what to expect. I'll try some tubing. I'll also try again at tower hobbys again as I'm 100 + miles from a LHS.