Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP .09

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM
unclecrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP .09

How big a prop can an AP .09 handle.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 PM
KidEpoxy

Default RE: AP .09

are you talking regular,
or by adding shims and dropping the nitro to make it Texaco'y ?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

are you talking regular,
or by adding shims and dropping the nitro to make it Texaco'y ?
Its a stock AP.09 on 15% nitro.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:24 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

I run an APC 7x4 on mine. Turns it just fine. I've also tried a MAS 8x3 which also worked well but I can't remember the RPM numbers.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Mr. Mugen

How much does this .09 weigh? I can't find it anywhere.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 AM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: foresterxt

I run an APC 7x4 on mine. Turns it just fine. I've also tried a MAS 8x3 which also worked well but I can't remember the RPM numbers.
I just pulled the prop off it and checked to see the size. But i culdn't see it. []I had to get the magnifer out its an 8x4. It will hold it in a hover in my hand at full throttle. I think its heating up too much with the tight cowl on it. Then I found a 7X4 and it rrr's up nice but can't hold it up in a hover in my hand. I think I will try the 8x4 on maiden set a little rich.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
unclecrash

Wondering whats the best glow plug to run in it.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 AM
JohnAV8R

I do not have an AP, but run Cox .09's , APC 7x4; 10% gives 16K rpm using a glow head adapter.
Using the Cox plugs will add 500 to 1000 rpm.
Running rich with an 8 x4 works well with a glider type model.
The Cox .09 is doing well in a small 300 sq in Wild Thing, full size radio gear, 30 oz.
In fact, the Cox does as well as an MVVS 2cc (.12) in a similar plane which is much heavier.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: unclecrash

ORIGINAL: foresterxt

I just pulled the prop off it and checked to see the size. But i culdn't see it. []I had to get the magnifer out its an 8x4. It will hold it in a hover in my hand at full throttle. I think its heating up too much with the tight cowl on it. Then I found a 7X4 and it rrr's up nice but can't hold it up in a hover in my hand. I think I will try the 8x4 on maiden set a little rich.
IMHO:

I am not surprised it is heating up with the 8-4, 2-stroke + large load = lotsa heat. For the hovering more disc area is always better, but for an .09 you need to lower the pitch. 8-4 is what I deem maximum load for a .15 (well, unless you want a fraction of it's potential performance). For the .09, and if you need 8" diameter, then try an 8-3. You might also try a 7-3 and let it spin up a bit more with finer pitch, you will be producing a bit more horsepower and should also see increased thrust at low airspeeds, including static.

I doubt a 7-4 will ever be your choice for hovering type flying. For small engines it is a "cruise" prop versus a "climb" prop in full scale lingo. With .09's to .15's, 3"-4" pitch is the "normal" sport flying range. 7-5 and 7-6 are also sometimes used on a .15, but those are only appropriate for small, clean and thus faster aircraft. You gotta let these little guys spin up. 13-14k is low rpm for small engines. It's okay for a lot of sport applications, but for hovering you want lots of pull at low speed, and lots of power from the engine - so I would prop it for at least 16k with finer pitch.

Does anyone know where the hp peak is on this engine?

MJD
Old 07-20-2008, 02:00 PM
unclecrash

Thanks MJD That was my thought on the prop was a bit much. The only 2 I had to try 8x4 and 7x4. I didn't get to try the 7x4. I believe It is supose to spool up 16.000rpm not sure though. I doubt it will ever see it.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 PM
MJD

Thanks MJD That was my thought on the prop was a bit much. The only 2 I had to try 8x4 and 7x4. I didn't get to try the 7x4. I believe It is supose to spool up 16.000rpm not sure though. I doubt it will ever see it.
Do you mean the 7-4 should turn 16k, or the engine is "rated" for that like they do in ads and instructions etc.? The mfg lists top rpm as 18,000, a figure which I take with only partial seriousness, although in general there is no reason to run it higher I think. I doubt it is set up for peak power above that, my guess is 17-18k. But it won't turn a 7-4 there of course. I believe it might hit 13k or so with that prop from the data I've found in a quick Google. I dunno if this is practical for where you hail from, but I'd at least test run it on a 7-3 and see where it turns and how the static thrust feels to you in relation to your other prop choices.

I found this:

"Measured performance using 10-percent nitro fuel:

Propeller Rpm

APC 7x4 13,000

APC 7x3 13,500

Graupner 7x3 . . 4,000

Idle speed . .. 4,700"

at [link=http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3819/is_199908/ai_n8852836]AP .09 test[/link]

How representative this is I do not know. He says it turns a 7-4 at 13k, but a 6-4 at 19k - that indicates quite a jump in hp through that rev range, although I do realize the blade cross sections etc. of 6" versus 7" props may play a significant role. But a 7-3 at 13,500k doesn't exactly knock my socks off. Someone claimed a Gilbert .11 would turn one at 16k.

I guess all you can do is experiment. Myself, I'd probably try an MAS 8-3 and an APC 7-3 stock first, and paying attention to the cooling issues, if any, on the 8" prop. Then, I might try clipping the 8-3 as well, a bit at a time.

There is a bit of a limit to the available prop choices, but after all the market for .10 size 3D props is so small now that it just isn't wirth tooling for.

MJD
Old 07-21-2008, 03:57 AM
unclecrash

Ya I thought I had read in the instructions that it was 16,000 I could be wrong. Like you say Im sure its grossly over rated. And that I think was with a 7x4. I tried it with the 8x3 today and it didn't like it it would lean out after a short run. I then put on the 7x3 and I wish I would have barrowed one of the guys tachs. It spooled up a hole lot better and seemed to like it. Oh and I was running it on 35% sig. But after the 7th or 8th flight i lost the plane due to aileron flutter. My own fault I told myself that i should rehinge them and add stiffer wire the stock push rods were wimpy. I think a bit thinner than the debro micro ones[:-] You can see it fly on utube if you want. Its a CG shock 3d I converted from Electric to glow it. Just punch in unclecrash in the search and you will find it. It was flying very nice till this happened. It was pretty zippy. I guess a bit too zippy for a 3d plane the dive probably put it over the edge.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:13 AM
MJD

Ya I thought I had read in the instructions that it was 16,000 I could be wrong. Like you say Im sure its grossly over rated. And that I think was with a 7x4. I tried it with the 8x3 today and it didn't like it it would lean out after a short run. I then put on the 7x3 and I wish I would have barrowed one of the guys tachs. It spooled up a hole lot better and seemed to like it. Oh and I was running it on 35% sig. But after the 7th or 8th flight i lost the plane due to aileron flutter. My own fault I told myself that i should rehinge them and add stiffer wire the stock push rods were wimpy. I think a bit thinner than the debro micro ones[:-] You can see it fly on utube if you want. Its a CG shock 3d I converted from Electric to glow it. Just punch in unclecrash in the search and you will find it. It was flying very nice till this happened. It was pretty zippy. I guess a bit too zippy for a 3d plane the dive probably put it over the edge.

Oops!

The sound of ailerons trying to disintegrate!

But the engine sounded happy..

MJD
Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM
unclecrash

Yup she was singing a nice tune.