Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Who will take this on?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Who will take this on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:30 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who will take this on?

Check out this auction: 170242662829

I have no connection with the seller, but if anyone here wins it I will email you a full-size copy of the plans.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38908.gif
Views:	30
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	999938  
Old 07-29-2008, 01:06 PM
exocet-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who will take this on?

Is it my imagination or does one servo control both the rudder and elevator? maybe it's just the way the plans are drawn.

Tim
Old 07-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Trisquire

There are two bellcranks. In the side view, one is right behind the other.

Tom
Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
exocet-RCU

Thanks, that makes more sense. You never know with older plans though. Back in the single channel days it seems like a lot of "interesting" things happened. I, myself, being too young to personally experience them, just have to sit and wonder
Old 07-29-2008, 04:58 PM
ebeneezer3

I built that plane back in 1972. It was a pretty good flyer. I used an OS 15 for power. I have the 3 constant cord wings and have thought about building another. Send me the plans and I'll pay your postage. In his construction article he told how to mix artist acrilics to make olive drab. That's how I found that they were fuel proof. Only drawback would be: not high gloss and brush marks in the paint.

Ted
Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM
exocet-RCU

Is it still possible to buy the Ace foam wings? The more I look at this the more interested in it I become.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: exocet-RCU

Is it still possible to buy the Ace foam wings? The more I look at this the more interested in it I become.
I have not tried these myself but supposedly they are the same physical dimensions yet cut from lighter stock than the original Ace Foam wings which were molded rather than cut.

Here is the link for the constant chord set:
http://www.thundertiger4u.com/consta...g-p-12687.html

Robert
Old 07-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

There ya go Dave.. just the plane we need for a new racing class !!!!... what a hoot !!!!

Dan
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: Deadstik

There ya go Dave.. just the plane we need for a new racing class !!!!... what a hoot !!!!

Dan

What a great idea! A tripe racing class!

By the way, when I first read this thread and went to see the auction it was already a done deal. The winner got this set for only 99 cents! Then I saw the shipping! Ouch! Still when figued together it was actually a pretty good deal, all said and done.

Robert
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 PM
rainedave

Well Dan, you da man to cut all the cores we'll be needing!

I'm searching my bookcases for another magazine from the same era that has a double set of plans for an SE5 and a DVII using Ace wings. I seem to think these were done by Ken Willard. I just can't remember if it's in AAM or RCM.[]

David
Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 PM
rainedave

Ok, I found it. The Tripe is in RCM 1/72 and the Sunday Fighters are in AAM 3/74. I was wrong about them being an SE5 and DVII.

There's no reason why someone can't re-draw the Tripe plans to look like a Dr. 1. Then, we'd have four possible models.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67547.gif
Views:	41
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1000554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56342.gif
Views:	30
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1000555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32487.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1000556  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

I've got a couple of sets of Ace constant and tapered wings stashed away. But I've always hesitated to commit a project to them since they seem a little heavy - compared to a dozen ribs, spars, LE, TE, and laminating film. So I made me a template out of Formica and can cut a set of ribs while watching "Dancing with the Circus of the Celebrity Stars (you never heard of)". The last model I built using this rib profile was a stick model right out of RCM (t be used as a test bed) Darned if that fatish airfoil didn't make for a right smart little aerobat.

However, having blurted out the above, I would think foam wings would be a good idea for a figure-eight racing course (we did it with Zagis a couple years ago and it was a hoot) or (dare I say it) . . . combat.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
build light

Quote by David:
"Ok, I found it. The Tripe is in RCM 1/72 and the Sunday Fighters are in AAM 3/74."

Yep that march '74 issue of AAM is one of my favorites. They just don't publish them like that anymore... At the time I was cuckoo over the Bipes 'N Tripes in that issue.
Just between those two artcles there wereplans for a total of six model planes in that issue. And there was at least one more. Maybe more.
They don't publish them like that anymore...

Robert
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM
rainedave

Robert, so true. It was a creative hobby in those days. People got ideas and made them happen, using the materials at hand. It's amazing how much inspiration came out of those Ace foam wings in the '70s.

David
Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Bipes 'n Tripes . . . followed by Monsters and Monos. I was in a CL club in Roanoke, Va. in the 70s and 80s. Flew lotsa combat and some stunt and 1/2A 'anything' for fun.

Didn't have good luck with the Tripe (Sopwith I think, not the Fokker. CG was probably off and top heavy) but the Mono was fun (Bristol something maybe)? Ah for the simple life.

True story; our small group flew in a school parking lot for years. Not everybody was diligent about mufflers - carrier and combat mostly. But the first time someone (not me thankfully) flew a powered R/C glider the police showed up, said there had been a noise complaint, and we had to look for a new field. Later when I told Howard Crispin (the AMA sound guy) about it he explained that it was because of the way the sound "cone" worked and as soon as the noise got high enough the sound would carry much further.

Well, the good news is that everybody uses mufflers now (even though some of the big Gassers make you wonder why they bother) and that has certainly saved a lot of fields. Now if we could only muffle some of the pilots (no one here of course).