Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox props

Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Digger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox props

Greetings all, I have a question about cox 5x3 props.

I have been flying my UnSure Shark on an older cox black 5x3 prop. it says thimble drome on one blade.
I like this prop and wanted to get a couple more.

I went to the BAY and found a group of three cox 5x3 black props and bought them.

Now that they have arrived, I noticed that they are different. slightly differnt shape, and the ends of the blades have this bulbous tip. These props only say Cox and 5x3 on the blades.

Will these work the same as the other prop? Should I gring off the fat ends of the blades (Is that a safety feature or does it add weight to the ends of the blades in an attempt to add a flywheel type functionality?)

Any info y'all might have would be great.

Digger
Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Cox props

I believe it was more an attempt at a safety tip than a performance issue. Certainly that version came out at around the right "Safety Police" time frame. But the ones I saw still had a razor sharp mold line on them so I doubt they are all that much safer unless you finish the edges.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Digger-RCU

Do you think performance of these props will be less than a normal cox 5x3 if I just run them the way they are?

I agree what you are saying. "Unsafe safety" (the appearence of safety without a true impact. This makes you let your guard down with the result that you are MORE likely to get hurt)

Digger
Old 07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one 6x2 like that too, worst thing is that mine is really soft...
I like the grey ones better but these are becomming really hard to get.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I gave up on the gray Cox props. Their performance wasn't enough better than the rubber duckies to justify the breakage rate (at today's prices) on my belly landers. Once I stumbled across a couple dozen 7X3.5 rubber duckies, my quest was complete...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In case someone hasn't guessed it, the props with the big tip came on RTF's and (I think) the rubber tip helped them survive scrapes on concrete. The flexibility helped them survive impact when you tried to fly below the hemisphere...and they are affectionately known as "Rubber Duckies".

Some of them do supply surprisingly good performance even while flexing.

George
Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: Digger-RCU

Greetings all, I have a question about cox 5x3 props.

Now that they have arrived, I noticed that they are different. slightly differnt shape, and the ends of the blades have this bulbous tip. These props only say Cox and 5x3 on the blades.

Will these work the same as the other prop? Should I gring off the fat ends of the blades (Is that a safety feature or does it add weight to the ends of the blades in an attempt to add a flywheel type functionality?)

Any info y'all might have would be great.

Digger
Cox made rubber ducky props as: Cox Hobbies, Thimble Drone, Cox and probably others and they were all about the same prop and all good.

We have used bushels of them in CL 1/2A combat and still would, if you could get them easily.

If I could one have only one style of 1/2A prop it would be the black Cox.

I always cut the tip wart off with a single edge razor blade used like a guillotine. I use the same technique to trim the ends of Rubber Duckies when balancing them.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Digger-RCU

Thanks for all the help on these props guys. I will certainly put them on and run em!

I am sure that the 17 bucks for three of them (including shipping), was much more than they were originally priced. I am glad to have them though for the planes that will likely break most any other prop I put on them.

Thanks again

Digger
Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Digger-RCU

I am sure that the 17 bucks for three of them (including shipping), was much more than they were originally priced.
Digger

Always check [link=http://www.selecthobbies.com/enginepartsdata.htm#coxengineparts]Steve's site at Select Hobbies[/link] (skaliwag) for COX parts and accessories. He has a number of items, very reasonably priced.

[link=http://www.selecthobbies.com/]Select Hobbies Home Page[/link]