Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

glow conversions

Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default glow conversions

O.K.,
You've all read posts else where on this and other sites about converting electric planes to glow, and I as many of you have had a fair share of disagreements over power options. In my mind, (as small as it may be) which is your favorite plane on the market, designated electric olny, would you convert to glow. I own bolth, and I must admit, no castor oil on the fuse is awsome, but I love, no!, crave the smell of nitro pulsating from my planes as I throttle up while tweaking the needle. There's no compairison in my mind. So let's here it, I have a N.I.B. wattage pitt's special, and a os .15 hanging around, is it a match made in heaven or should it remain the same and be volts only?
I also plan on aquiring a few more 1/2a bugs to my fleet soon since they're cheap and easy, any recommendations?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: glow conversions

I'm working on a Super chipmunk, I like the way they look but haven't seen any kits in the right size.

I got the Goldberg 400, wich has two nice intakes in the cowl. I'll fit a Norvel .074 (engine with muffler can all fit inside the cowl) and hope to get a total weight around 500g (i.e. below 18 oz)
Sofar I've beefed up the body and firewall, this added about 15 grams. I'm struggling a bit to find a good container for a tank but can easily fit a commersial 1.5 oz tank. Will see how the balance turns out, the commercial motor mount could also be replaced with a wooden one, to save a bit of weight in front if needed.
Supplied hardware is a bit flimsy though, more like parkflyer stuff, so I might replace that too...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96511.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1005480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66799.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1005481