Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Design Contest Dissapointment

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Design Contest Dissapointment

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 03:05 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design Contest Dissapointment

First off let me say that I do not want anyone to take what I am about to say wrong in ayway. I am just confused perhaps and maybe by asking I can get something cleared up.

I am dissapointed at the voting so far. Wile I do think the Blue Angels and the Ultimate are about the two prettiest planes in this contest I find it wrong to vote for them two. I thought this was a design contest, not a who makes the prettiest plane contest. I think any plane on this list that wasnt designed by the builder just shouldnt get a vote. Now I do understand that alot of the contestants had to "design" the plane for the apropriate size, and I have all the respect in the world for that, but if you desinged it on your own, AND for the apropriate size isnt that 2 in the bag rather than 1?

Now, and I wrong and we are not supposed to vote the way I am viewing it and I am taking it too literal, or and I actually write and those who are voting have lost site of this?
Old 05-18-2003, 04:19 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

oh well, it is a really informal contest, i took it more for an excuse to make a new plane than trying for any monetary or notariety reward. don't take it too serious! i mean, the f-104 was designed by lockheed, but it wasn't designed for a 1/2a pusher! i took a picture, and designed something that looked like it from a distance, did it without plans or autocad, in a week or two, and am flying the crap outa it and having a ball. that makes it a winner in my book and i would not have made something that radical had it not been for the guys saying, "let's have a contest and see what we come up with?" the next one we do, you will have to knock out something! it is a blast, whether you get 1 vote or a hundred!!
Old 05-18-2003, 05:22 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default Yup

I do have to agree with you some what that it started off as a DESIGN contest and kind'a grew from there, it changed I think for the most part to allow lower level builders to compete, Its really hard to define your own design without a ton of rules as a guideline, and like WF said it was a relaxed contest, but hey I will never be an Ugly American and denie any one the right to express them selves, I voted for the one that I thought was a builder designed plane, but you will find most people will vote for some thing that looks like a plane that they can see in a full scale design, hence the reason so many ARF manufacturers make the same aircraft designs over and over again, and few have the insight to be original,
Old 05-18-2003, 06:11 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah OMPE, its all in how ya look at it, designing is building, if you buy a bipe kit and open it up to find theres no wheel pants so you shave down a couple of blocks of balsa to make your own, well,, that thar is what we call deeeesignin...all the spads are pretty original (ugly but original) and if you want something unbreakable than thats the goal, anyway like Fred says its a game, contest for fun, an excuse to build a plane or a reason to try ( I should probably shut up now since I didnt finish mine), but I did try, and will again, believe me I can only get better at this point... as for voting, well, I voted on the f-104 cause of the cool factor, and it looks simple enough that I may try it sometime. theres 15 of us and another 100 people (at this time) have stopped in to vote, I think thats pretty cool too.......
Old 05-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Digger-RCU

Greetings OMP,
Thanks for your comments. They are very insightful and appreciated. I would like to comment, as I find this to be an interesting topic (also, one of the planes in question was build by me.)

I think, I must agree with you in part. I have always considered the “idea” of something infinitely more significant than the “execution.” When the Wright Brothers were building their second glider in 1902, they came to a realization that a flying craft needed to turn in the direction of a bank, and coordinated their “rudder” with their wing warping “ailerons.” This, a full year before their first powered flight. Until this time, no one had ever thought of that particular aspect of flight. That intuitive leap is the work of genius.

What I mean is that folks who imagine things that have never existed previous, are definitely a step ahead of the rest of us. Guys like AJ, Milton, and Phil clearly are outside the box and thinking beyond where others have gone before, and I have the greatest respect for them. Heck, its one of the reasons I voted the way I did.

Having said that, “designing” my first plane, taught me something about the above philosophy. The execution is the expression of the idea. As such, it is no less a part of the design than the idea. The execution needs many small ideas to be imagined every step of the way. Bringing an idea to fruition is not a second step, it is a continuation of the idea to become something. (I hope all that makes sense and is not too ponderous)

When someone looks at Fred’s F104, and sees the way that plane looks and flies, an incredible understanding of the design process should be evident. (Incidentally, many thought that plane impossible to build into a ½ a design). The many small ideas that are put together into a whole that make Jeremy’s Caudron, the work of art it is, are true inspiration. I take nothing from them, and think their work speaks for itself.

Further, I think that everything we designers, is done by standing on the shoulders of giants and taking the next step. The true measure of “Design” is how big a step is taken. Model airplanes have flown longer than full sized planes. How different is mine, or any of ours, from the next guys. (Ok, lets leave Phil’s Plane out of that last statement ) Nothing we do in this hobby is done in a vacuum. I feel that while some of our planes represent a tiny step into the abyss, and others have taken large strides, we have all gone into that unknown I will call design.

Until the day I can measure myself with the likes of Milton, AJ, Rich, Jeremy, Phil, Fred, Bipeflyer, and other true designers, I hope I can at least satisfy myself.

Having said way too much, I will close with this. Contests like this make us better at what we do, and I hope we have more of them. Whether scale or independent designs, all the plane are great and inspire me to build more and more.

And finally, there are many planes in this contest more worthy of winning than mine, and I hope the voting bears that out by the end.

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 05-18-2003, 09:11 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, designing a model plane isnt necesarily doing something that isnt fullscale.

If the guys that built scale models drew their own plans and built from them from scratch they DID design their planes and they are beautifull at that!

I for one voted for the planes in question, they simply put my simple carbon delta to shame But I had fun and thats the MAIN thing, we all had fun and learned from it.

Andrew
Old 05-18-2003, 09:31 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Designing a model of a scale aircraft is very different from building the real thing. I guess you feel the contest should emphasize originality over any other aspects of the design, which is fine. Others may feel that flying characteristics, "cuteness", ROG, aerobatics, endurance, looks etc. are more important.

I built an Ultimate because it hadn't been done in that size before and having built many biplanes in the past I wasn't even sure one could be built that small and still ROG. I also liked the challenge of making a plane that had scale appearance in such a small size.

As for the other scale designs, I wouldn't have believed a F104 would have been possible as a ½A pusher if Wildfred hadn't built it. It blows me away to think that the Panther is Digger's first design and scratch build.

I'm also impressed with designs like the phuffstatler's Norvelian Star Cruiser. Dickeybird's Gyrator is very impressive as well. I really like Soarrich's Staggerthing because I love bipes.

I didn't pick the plane I did in hopes of winning the contest, but because it was what I wanted to build.

The whole idea behind the voting is that YOU pick the plane YOU like the best.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Bipe Flyer

Originally posted by ajcoholic
I for one voted for the planes in question, they simply put my simple carbon delta to shame But I had fun and thats the MAIN thing, we all had fun and learned from it.

Andrew
I certainly don't think anything put your plane to shame. Your choice of materials and building techniques are innovative to say the least. How many people can build their own tuned pipe?

Only one of my votes went for a scale plane... and it wasn't my own.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:56 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Like others have said, this was all in fun. And fun it has been! I truly didn't expect to 'win', as I know most folks vote for what's popular (not necessarily the contestants, but the 'onlookers'). In my book, we're all winners because we did something we all agreed to do. I really doubt I would have built the Starcruiser had this contest not popped up. I searched a month for a design that was different enough, and came up with nothing that I felt I could do in the short time the contest had left. Procrastination didn't help, either... But I got it a prototype together and flown in time. Truly, I feel I'll have to take another two or three prototypes before I'll get a plane that I'm really happy with. If it's really good, I'll even approach the magazines with a possible article on it (a life long dream). Wouldn't that be grand!

There are some real works of art in the contest. Beautiful renditions of some difficult aircraft that have flown really well. I tip my hat to these gents, and wish to emulate them. They manage to do in one prototype, what will take me three times, most likely. But the cool thing is, is that it put the fire back in my blood for building again, and that is what I was really looking for....

Now I've got a couple of major projects coming up, and I look forward to them...

phil in austin
Old 05-18-2003, 11:02 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we all as the contestants have the right frame of mind. We all love planes, love to build and do something our own way and we all like to learn. I am very happy for all of us that had the chance to participate and I for one would do it again in a heartbeat!

ANdrew
Old 05-18-2003, 11:12 PM
JasonRP

Default Great job, everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone who designed a plane and entered it into the contest for all of us to see! I'm a newbie, and I have to say that EVERY plane that is pictured on the contest site fired up my imagination in one way or another!

It is great to see this kind of event, because it can only get people more interested in our hobby! Last time I was in the LHS, I was a little disheartened to see that there is a definate slant towards buying ARF's these days, and the most of the ARF's have been .40 to .60 size, with the exception of the latest electric park flyers.

Now, don't get me wrong, all model airplanes are neat, and it is wonderful that these newly made ARF kits are making it easier (and more attractive) for more folks to get into this hobby. But, it makes me very happy to see that there are still folks that still *LIKE* to build their own, and *LIKE* to design 1/2 nitro powered planes!! Whether it is a scale plane, or a spaceship, or a powered frisbee or flying whether-vane! Regardless, it's a contribution, and it is great! I have learned a lot looking at the contest website (Thanks go to everyone involved in putting that site up too!)

So, whenever the NEXT contest arrives, let me know and count me in.. I can't promise that a plane designed by me will fly well, but It's gonna look cool!

Jason
Old 05-19-2003, 03:59 AM
jtech

I agree with the other contestants and Jason too. Designing and scratch building anything was within the guidelines of the contest. All of the aircraft entered, from completely original ideas like Phil's aircraft (or spacecraft?) to Digger's (Randy I believe) F9F, should be considered designed aircraft! Even when you scale down an airplane shape from 3-view drawings, there's way more to it. First off with an airplane this small, an exact scale design probably would not fly too good; you have to "fudge" the dimensions a bit. Also the construction of the airframe has to be designed so that its both strong and light enough to fly well.

I'm looking forward to more contests, its a good way to get the motivation necessary to complete your next project.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:39 PM
DICKEYBIRD

OK, my turn: Yes! Drawing (with CAD or pencil & paper) a reduced size rendition of a full scale or existing model aircraft that flies the way you want it to is indeed one's own DESIGN! The same critical engineering choices are made along the way, regardless of whether the outline & configuration was conceived completely from the designer's brain or from an existing 3 view or picture.

I didn't really look at this "contest" as a competition at all, and I'm sure nobody else did either. It was just a vehicle for us to do what we enjoy and put our own creativity and "art" out there for the enjoyment and criticism of others. I didn't really think that the Gyrator had a chance to win against more conventional aircraft designs but what the heck, it's what I was day dreaming about when the contest started!

The "contest" concept worked very well and all the really neat planes that everyone came up with has inspired a new list of daydreams for entrants to pick through for the next contest. I'll bet there'll be a lot more activity next time!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:56 AM
LoneRanger

Default Re: Design Contest Dissapointment

Originally posted by OMPEdgeFlyer
I am dissapointed at the voting so far.

I think any plane on this list that wasnt designed by the builder just shouldnt get a vote.

Now, and I wrong and we are not supposed to vote the way I am viewing it and I am taking it too literal, or and I actually write and those who are voting have lost site of this?
personaly I do think your taking it to literaly however since I have not recieved any votes it's not much off my back!

SO DONT VOTE FOR MY LBBBA IT IS MATCHELASARO's "Design" slightly "modded' like everything I build!

however it was my 1st plane ever built that was not in some sort of a "Kit" just plans (NO PRE CUT WOOD).........

hey, what can I say I am a big fat looser,
Cheers OMPEdgeFlyer,

and I dont want you to take what I said in the wrong in way.

LoneRanger
Old 05-20-2003, 02:57 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't stand it any longer gotta write in.......

This contest has been one of the most fun experiences I have had in the hobby- and for many different reasons.

It may sound 'hokey' (southern word, if you don't understand PM me), but everyone who entered in the contest and had fun really is a winner. I bet everyone here--- #1 picked a up a tip or two from a fellow designer/builder (I know I picked up loads) #2 Learned something from their own experimenting, #3 Learned a 'what not to do'.... (after building my entry, I was truly tired of gluing myself to my work...). #4 Had fun!

In that theme, maybe the biggest winners here were the father/son team that entered. I miss the days when my father would go to the flying field with me as a kid (he now lives 8 hours away...). Ya'll are very lucky.

LoneRanger, If you had fun, you are as big a winner as the rest of the entrants. You are not a loser!
Old 05-20-2003, 04:34 PM
LoneRanger

I gotta laugh, I just realized the person who started this thread is'nt even in the darn contest!

hahahahaha~ well I got a good kick outta that one!

cheers!

L.R.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:38 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

exactly! that's why he didn't understand it was just a get together of freinds to see what we could make!

email me a link or directions to your field, l.r., as i am going to the swap in ocala sat., and would like to fly afterwards!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:16 AM
LoneRanger

WildFred, in a nutshell

I-75 N, right on 484, 2 lights then left, first paved road on right- if you go past the dump ya went to far! field is on the right~

L.R.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:03 AM
AndyW

That's kind of why I didn't join in. Soon's you say CONTEST, it gets competitive and that just isn't what I think it is that attracts us to 1/2A and such. This might have been more properly called a Design Show and Tell with a vote for a favorite. Even then, you end up with ONE winner and the rest, well,,,, I think Baden Powell got it right.

I got a huge kick out of all the entries, comments and results of all the efforts. I think that that's what's most important in all of this.

If it was called an ORIGINAL, Scratch Built, Non-Scale, Design Contest, that might have been different. I don't think most of us looked on it with such a narrow definition.

If there's any controversy about terminology it's this. At one time BUILDING a model meant making all the aircraft components from parts and materials whether it was from plans or a kit. At one time SCRATCH building was taking a blank sheet of paper and from the first line (scratch) the entire thing was original,,, even if it did draw on other designs and concepts or was a scaled down version of a full size airplane.

Today, commercial interests have dumbed it down to mean that if you buy an ARF and assemble it, you've built it. If you buy plans and build the plane, you've scratch built it. Trouble is, when you take a clean sheet of paper and draw a plan,,, that you then build from,,, what do you call THAT???
Old 05-21-2003, 03:11 AM
Bipe Flyer

Here's how I'd define it. Scratch building is where you build the airframe by selecting and cutting the wood. You might use prefabricated landing gear or a canopy etc.
Drawing a plan of a 100% original idea would be designing a sport model.
Drawing a plan of an existing aircraft would be designing a scale model.
Drawing a plan of an existing model would be scaling a model.

Regardless, each of these provides it's own challenges. I usually find it more difficult to design a scale model than an original design because I am limited in what I can do. With an original design I can make a change for ease of building or just on a whim and who'll know the difference.

I think that all of these were covered in the contest and I'm glad they were. I guess you'd have to ask Soarrich what his original vision was when he suggested the contest.

If we do it again, I think the voting should be done differently. Several categories like most original design, best scale appearance, best flying etc. and you could vote for your favourite in each category. That way the voting is spread around and would give a better representation of the voters opinion.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:03 AM
OMPEdgeFlyer

Everyone,

I follow what is being said, and the next time, I will vote accordingly. I will also have a plane or 3 to enter too. Actually, I did make a 1/2A plane "for" this contest, only I had found this awesome site after it was all started. I did it just to go along with everyone. I had to build it a total of 3 different times to get it to fly in a controlable manor. This was also my first total custom design, as well as my first scratch build plane. it was a rather simple biplane design, no air foils, 020 powered. started with 8 inch wings, changed it to 10, then changed it to 12 top and 10 bottom, and had the bottom wing with more dehydrial than the top wing. I also added had to remove the up insidence of the bottom wing cause I calculated the cg way wrong and added too much weight so changing the wing helped.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:11 AM
Bipe Flyer

I'd love to see some pictures.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:31 AM
OMPEdgeFlyer

got yahoo IM? I can show ya on the cam. well, i can show you the fist one I did.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:43 AM
Bipe Flyer

I've got Windows Messenger.
Why don't you just post the picture here?
Old 05-21-2003, 04:48 AM
OMPEdgeFlyer

I dont have pics of it, was saying I can turn the cam on though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.