Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Help!! I can't remove the head from my Norvel .061 :(

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Help!! I can't remove the head from my Norvel .061 :(

Old 08-07-2008, 05:30 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! I can't remove the head from my Norvel .061 :(

I can't remove the head from my Norvel .061 using the Cox .049/.051 wrench.

Am I doing it right? I see 2 notches at the top of the head, I'm putting the glow head wrench over those 2 notches (see the attached picture). I'm then trying to twist the wrench, but the head won't budge and then the wrench just slips off. I think I'm starting to damage the 2 notches on the head with all the stress I'm putting them under.

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks guys!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64307.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1006315  
Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help!! I can't remove the head from my Norvel .061 :(

If the photo shows exactly the way you are attempting to remove the head then you are using the wrench incorrectly. The angled end piece with the two projecting lugs (at the right hand end of the wrench in your photo, is the part you should be using to loosen the head. For a start the wrench will be horizontal, and you will get more leverage. Be aware that your previous efforts may have burred the two slots where the lugs are supposed to fit. If needs be, you may have to restore the slot shape with a small needle file. It may pay to wrap a handkerchief or rag around the other end of the wrench (the end you hold) to get a better grip. If things still won''t budge, try putting the engine in your home oven at about 150C for a while (15 mins) and then try again. If congealed castor is the reason the head won't budge, the heat will soften it.

'ffkiwi'
Old 08-07-2008, 06:10 PM
KidEpoxy

as Kiwi said

make a concious effort to keep the wrench laying flat & even with the head
once you start putting the spurs to the horse to get it off.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:10 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Thanks guys for the comments.

I kept working at it for a while longer....

Then I had the solid part of the wrench (with no cut-outs, where my top finger is in the picture) wedged against the glow plug and a notch, when suddenly the head gave and turned.

The engine was brand new. The head was exceptionally tight on there. Since I'm using the engine in the Kamdax Mig 15 ducted fan, I'll probably have to remove the whole fan unit and engine just to change a stinkin' glow plug!! [:@] What kind of design is that?? [:'(]

I did buy the adapter from mecoa to put regular long rc glow plugs in there. It fits perfectly! I wonder if the engine will run the same though???? [&:]

http://www.mecoa.com/acc/adaptors/index.htm

Name:	Ca82309.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	1006513  
Old 08-08-2008, 12:08 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Uh.....I hear that the fish in your neck of the woods are going after those like crazy .
The Mig will need every last rpm you can get out of it just to fly and those heads lose too much power. Do your own comparisons, it only takes a few minutes to see the difference.
MECOA..my engine could only ail?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 AM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

combatpigg is correct, you will drop much needed RPM with the standard plug. You will need high nitro as well. 25-30% is normal for this engine. I used to run 45% in mine and they started easy and ran fast.

If you are set on running a standard plug, your best bet will be a Galbret head that is set up to accept a Nelson plug. That was as close to the standard plug set-up as I ever got.

Good luck,

2FAST4U
Old 08-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Galbreath/NELSON combinations are available from Larry Driskill at [link=http://www.kittingittogether.com]Kitting It Together[/link]

Attached are images of a Galbreath head and a pic of the NELSON vs standard plug.

Name:	Zu64457.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1008079  
Attached Images