Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Small plans & kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small plans & kits

I know there are folks that have links to places where a person can still purchase plans, kits or ARF's for planes in the 1/2A up to around 15 size engines. There was a post a while back that had a bunch of links, but I can't find it now.

Two things.....

1) Can you guys start posting links that you know about to locations where plans, kits or ARF's are located? Remember they should be in the .049 to .15 size range.

2) Could the admin consider creating a sticky for this so we all have a library of options out there? I think that would be AWESOME!

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to the links as I am itching to build something SMALL or small! [sm=49_49.gif]
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Small plans & kits

selecthobbies.com
Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
forsakenrider

How did .15 end up in 1/2a??? this is one thing about this forum I have yet to understand... I am a n00b though.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote by 2fast4u:
"I know there are folks that have links to places where a person can still purchase plans, kits or ARF's for planes in the 1/2A up to around 15 size engines. There was a post a while back that had a bunch of links, but I can't find it now."

There are a few to be found. So are ya looking for a powered glider? Something hotter maybe? Trainer? Somet6hing to fly slow and low to pass the time away?
The genre is wide so give us some direction.

Here are some to get you started:
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
and
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62..._Laumer/tm.htm

By the way these next two are sticky at the top of the forum so they are easy to find:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2301186/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4978699/tm.htm

Do a search on the DNU and you will have another.

You should know that these things can be quite addictive so don't say you weren't warned!

Robert
Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: forsakenrider

How did .15 end up in 1/2a??? this is one thing about this forum I have yet to understand... I am a n00b though.
.15 ended up here because once you leave 1/2a,, the forums pretty much jump to .40-.46 engines,,all of beginners are preached the gospel of .40 as soon as they enter and since there are fewer and fewer 1/2a engine manf..we grew up a little and let .15's in here,, basically a .25 is a small .40, so a .15 is a big 1/2a....and since lots of power hungry folk put .90's on there .40 planes,,,same here the Herr extra (designed for .07) with the OS .15 is a very popular plane, I have 2 of them...hope this helps and welcome to the forum...Rog
Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Yuu

I think the .15 size got in here because it is allowed in that 'other' rcgroup as 1/2 A ...
Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 AM
2fast4u

www.iflyherr.com

Lots of good stuff here.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:30 PM
JohnAV8R

RCM [Mar., 1974] had an all sheet balsa bipe , 36 " span, for .09 to .15 size, called the Honker Bipe.
If there is interest, and it's allowed to post a copy of the plan, then I can provide.
I have the article in PDF, the plan as JPEG or BMP.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

The 1/2a models in magazines forum was started to help in just this way.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2259664/tm.htm

If it was offered through plans and magazines, it is, or should be in the posts there. The mags can be looked for in a number of places, and some of the publishers still sell the plans.

I like listing the kits to aid the search for them as well. It is not complete yet, but it should help find somthing of interest.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
JohnAV8R

Thanks. Yes, the listings are shown for what was available, but are there "copies" of the plans [to down load] from the magazines?
RCM , 1979, published the RCM Illustrated Plans Guide covering all the plans appearing from vol 1., no 1, Oct., 1963.
The plans in this publication are very reduced in size, 1/2 page.
They are interesting to look at, make nice reference data.
Copying the small plan and using Model Cad makes for a starting point in drawing up your own ideas.
John

ORIGINAL: Remby

The 1/2a models in magazines forum was started to help in just this way.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2259664/tm.htm

If it was offered through plans and magazines, it is, or should be in the posts there. The mags can be looked for in a number of places, and some of the publishers still sell the plans.

I like listing the kits to aid the search for them as well. It is not complete yet, but it should help find somthing of interest.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:46 PM
portablevcb

If you don't mind 'converting' electric to IC then look at Peter Rake's designs. His construction method is strong enough to take on IC stuff, if, you can swing a large enough prop. Most are WWI or other round engine types so that kinda limits the power plant. He does have a few with narrow cowls though.

HOB 1/12 scale stuff flies really nice. I did the FW190 as an electric and it was a nice flying plane.

Come to think of it, there are a lot of electric designs that would work well for 1/2A. Look for anything that did not have a round engine.

charlie
Old 08-23-2008, 07:43 PM
2fast4u

I am enjoying looking through all these links. Found the M.A.N plans guide here....

https://secure.rcstore.com/ Go to the link on the left for plans then choose plane, then just start checking them out.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 AM
somiss1

The Honker Bipe was a great flying airplane but I doubt that a .10 or .15 would give good performance. I used a ST .23 on mine and had a ball. Tough little bugger, too!
Frank
Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM
TFM70

ORIGINAL: somiss1

The Honker Bipe was a great flying airplane but I doubt that a .10 or .15 would give good performance. I used a ST .23 on mine and had a ball. Tough little bugger, too!
Frank
Amazing, I built the HONKER Bipe back in the 70's and also powered it with a ST 23. First flight, it was a little tail heavy. That was a handful. I got it right and flew it to pieces. I am just starting to get back into RC after a long absence. somiss, I just noticed your are from Pass Christern. I'm from Ocean Springs, but will be moving later this year.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 AM
somiss1

TFM70, glad to have you here on the Redneck Riviera! I had many a pleasant flight with the Honker Bipe. I had a regular Honker with a Black Widow that flew great also.
Frank
Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

JohnAV8R;

The magazines can be found if you look around, and some plans are offered from time to time here, and on the net. Some of the plans can still be purchased from the publishers, RCM still sells them.

If you can fine the magazine, just scan it then "Tileprint" can size it for your needs.

Your handle is kewl by the way !