Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New radio

Ok, I'm a little tired of all the cool things my heli/airplane radio does by itself...seems it has decided to mix all on its own as of late, Bsarge can testify if needed, even he had a "what the heck" moment ...so what are you guys using, still alittle gun shy on the 2.4 stuff with the rx costs...what are you using???...Rog
Old 08-21-2008, 09:39 AM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New radio

Hitec sport 6 with spextra RX. Not a 2.4 but I can choose any channel. If Hitec had a 2.4 set up I would have them.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a lottery ticket. Soon I'll get myself a Futaba 10C 2.4 GHz system with a handfull of receivers. But until then . . . my faithful 9C.

Yeah I wonder why Hitec hasn't jumped on the 2.4 bandwagon. Lotsa money to be made. Even Airtronics has one.

I read somewhere that there were something like 600 pilots registered at Joe Nall and something less than 50 non 2.4 radios impounded. Wow, money talks.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Mr. Mugen

I am still using my 7C for most planes. It is by far the easiest radio I ever used. Simple to understand and easy to navigate through the menu's. Got 3 of them on the bay for 100 bucks a piece new in box. They only hold 10 planes a piece so that is why I have 3 of them. I recently bought the 12FG and am in the process of setting up planes on it. It is much much more than I will ever need but thats what I was shooting for. I do plan to start flying heli's someday and sailplanes as well.....so the 12FG was the route I took. All in all I still use the 7C's on a daily basis. Hard to beat for the money.

My .02
Kevin

PS...Berg RX's and Futaba's never stop talking. Only good things to say about this combo. Have around 20 of the berg 7p RX's and 20 or so of the 4L's....never a bad day with them.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
hogflyer

I still fly the cheap stuff. Futaba Sky Sport 6A, 7C and Conquest 6, JR 6102, S400/SX600 for flight training and Spektrum DX6 (the park flyer version, not the new one).

I too have found my Futaba and Berg’s play well together – never had a problem with them (knock on wood). The JR’s on the other hand are prone to blow a fuse every now and then.

I’ll have to look at a full range 2.4 system next year for pylon racing – it makes it a lot easier to put together a racing matrix when everybody is running 2.4’s.

Hogflyer
Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at the Airtronics RDS8000. It is a great radio for any type of flying. It comes with (2) Rx's for the price you pay for just the Tx of other brands. Super simple to program and Airtronics stands behind them like no other.

Dru.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM
digital_trucker

I love my Spektrum 7 2.4. Easily the best radio I've ever owned.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:17 PM
DeviousDave

I haven't jumped on the 2.4 bandwagon yet.. Couple of reasons for it:

1) early radios had range problems on humid days (microwave freq. being absorbed by the water)-but I haven't heard any complaints from the two guys I know who use 2.4 now.
2) the RX's aren't as small as the recievers I use now
3) haven't had a radio problem of any kind since switching to JR (wait, there was that FMA Tetra that got swamped in a pylon heat)

Currently I like JR TX's with Berg Microstamp RX's. My main radio is a 6102, which is enough for what I do and affordable. The Bergs, I can get them 3 for $100 with crystals! And I love the built in glitch counter...
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 PM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Well I had to jump on the 2.4 bandwagon even though I said I would not until they band my 72mhz. I jumped on the Airtronics 8 channel 2.4 with 2 receivers for $229.00. I have always been a Airtronics fan from way back. I had an issue or two back in the AM days and Airtronics got me going for no charge even though both AM radios were out of warranty. I have kinda stood behind them ever since. The oldest Airtronics I still fly is a Vanguard 6 channel PCM from 1989……………..still makes me smile ;^)

Johnny
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
eroc144

I started off with a JR Quattro 4 channel and picked up a second Quattro as a backup and training box. I modified Quattro #2 by adding channels for variable rate flaps & up/down gear channels. I still use this second Quattro as my trainer box and for my PC flight simulator software.

I picked up the Spektrum Dx6 park flyer system shortly after it was released and have been absolutely thrilled with its performance. It's never glitched and I've never had any range issues, and I love the 10 model memory, dual rates, and other computer radio system features. The hardest part was learning to navigate the menu systems, but even that wasn't really that bad.

2 weeks ago I upgraded my DX6 to the DX6i (Spektrum's full range version) as I'm moving into larger planes and wanted to ensure that my full size stuff doesn't become someone's lawn ornament. I've only had it out a few times but overall it's as solid as the DX6 and has a larger/better menu screen and a few additional switches.

I love not having to worry about frequency pins and/or flags!

EG
Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Well, I'm flying 2 Futaba 6EX 2.4s in my Quickie 500 racers. Solid as a rock so far. Still have my 9Z but the trans battery took a dump and I need to replace it. Had thought of changing it over to 2.4 but for some reason I think the module adaptor looks like a second thought! I guess that's why I have not purchased a new Futaba 2.4 because the more expensive units look like an abortion with the 2 antenna transmitter look. Wish they would use a transmitter case that incorperated just one antenna and looked like it was designed that way!!

I picked up each 6EX system for around $100.00 each with 2 receivers. The RS606 receivers will not work with any other systems but that's OK. With the racers if they hit the ground it don't hurt as bad!!!

I was thinking of sell my 9Z with 3 PCM receivers and a tone of regular futaba nd berg receivers with it. Just have not gone that far though as I've had no issues with it.

Bob Harris
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Bob,

I just got a Futaba 7C 2.4 GHz system and a friend at FToJL gave me a walk-around of his beautiful new 10C last week. Neither of which have . . . "an abortion with the 2 antenna transmitter look".

However, if you are talking about just adding the 2.4 module to your 9Z, then there will be the "other" antenna to deal with. I understand that you can unscrew the old 72 MHz antenna and put chewing gum in the hole - or maybe an Obama bobble-head (there is no McCain bobble-head, just one that screws on tight - haaaaaw).

FWIW I have a 6EX system too but I would hesitate to recommend it - even though they can be found cheap now that people are upgrading. It sure doesn't have the feel of my "old" 9C. But its perfect for combat - just like you did for racing.

I haven't used my 7C in anything yet so I didn't "report" it above. I feel like I should acquire more 2.4 receivers (R617s) before I start making the switchover.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Raymond, I thought the 10C had the 2 antenna look. The picture in my Tower flier shows it. If not I may have to check it out!! BYW, I could not get any answers out of Futaba on the voltage spike and line of sight questions so I had to do my own testing.

I took a 50mAH receiver pack and hooked it up to the receiver. If I grab a servo and stall in by hand the receiver will shutdown momentarily to rebooth. I even had this happen on one of my racers when the throttle servo went bad. Luckily we were testing on the ground when the receiver reboothed. So don't bind the servos!!

Also if I put the model in the front yard and walk to the back with transmitter in hand it does not work. My 72 system will. I guess I can't take a short cut through the barn anymore when I fly the 2.4 system!!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rog,
You should be able to pick up a 9C anywhere these days that will fit nicely in your beer drinking budget. I absolutly love mine. I've had it since they came out. I even pimped it out with a Hansen memory card, 2400 Mah Nimh, and a spiffy rubber ducky antena.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Mr. Mugen

WHere did you get your rubber ducky? I assume it is for 72mhz.....how does it work?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 PM
vicman

http://www.smileyantenna.com/product...eab4dbc1c5f424
I really like using it.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Mr. Mugen

Thanks for the link. I am going to order a red one...
Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

1. Does a stalled servo cause "shut down" or failsafe? I'll do some fiddling myself.

2. The 7C and 6EX instructions do say to not block the little stubby antenna - particularly not to touch it with your hand. So I can see that there is some sensitivity issue.

3. Vic I don't know how to say this discreetly but I think the rubber ducky antenna you have on your 9C is the same one I have. I would describe mine as "limp". On the other hand, the one I got from Hobby Lobby (and had RC South install and tune BTW) is "hard". There I've said it and I'm glad.

4. The limp one is easy to take off and put on.

5. The hard one, stays upright.

6. There I've said it and I'm glad.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:22 PM
vicman

Dear sir with the "limp" problem...mine isn't quite as old as yours. Also if you don't use it you loose it.[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=stupid.gif]
Old 08-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Hey Dude,

Did you see the word "problem" in my post? Thought not.

Speak for yourself, John Smith.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM
flyinrog

I forgot to mention as a rule I am a Futaba guy, mine is the T6XHs its a primarily heli radio which causes its own problems,, you cant set the throttle to low and use the trim to stop the engine, once the throttle reaches the midpoint of travel the trim buttons cease to work...you can reverse the throttle and use it that way, but that is the only way,,, a couple of weeks ago full throttle mixed itself with left rudder[:-] so I followed Bsarge's advice and cleared the whole Tx..reprogrammed fine and a few flights later and a couple of model changes and left aileron mixed itself in with down elevator, hence the "what the heck" moment..so its still good for my 2-3 channel stuff, I learned on a 4 ch Conquest, still have it in my LMH heli thats worth about $5 on the bay, may as well strip it for parts...Rog
Old 08-23-2008, 05:04 PM
portablevcb

I've used a Spektrum (first DX6 now DX7) as soon as they came out. Actually, right after I lost a third airplane on my Futaba 9C due to interference (we have some bad spots around our fields).

The big bonus is no more freq board or trips to impound at a fly in. You can 'tune up' your plane in the pits without worrying about a time limit or conflicting with someone.

The low voltage problem is the BIG one with these (all brands that I know of and yes I have experienced it). If the rcvr goes below 3V it will reboot. Most of the newer rcvrs will reboot in less than a second, but, if you're flying at 70mph on the deck, or just about to land, it can be catastrophic. I will not use anything less than a 4cell 600mAh pack. A stalled servo, even a little 5gm one, will pull over 0.5A and std size ones will pull over 1A.

The 2.4GHz system is line of sight, not 'almost line of sight' like 72MHz, direct line of sight. I walked between two trucks one time and lost a plane. Don't try and fly behind a chain link fence. Make sure the rcvr ant inside the plane is not blocked by large metal parts. Don't let the radio get wet. High humidity is OK (Little Rock in June ), just don't let any dew or raindrops get in there (rcvr or transmitter).

Range is beyond what I can see. I tested one to over 1/2mile. FWIW I could not see the plane and I could barely see the guy holding it.

I would not buy a 72MHz system. But, if your area is free of interference, then 72MHz systems are still good.

charlie
Old 08-23-2008, 11:28 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Airtronics RD8000, had hitec, futaba, jr and multiplex, but airtronics is absolutly awsome, even the std system can use any reciever on the market that's not spread spectrum, and it's cheap.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM
tewitt1949

I have 2 airtronics radios, both new. One is a RD-8000 and the other is the 6 channel (??VC-6000). I have had no problems, great radios and would buy again. At the club field, I never get hit a freq hit and at times other model radios do.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

I bought the Spektrum DX7 first, just to get into 2.4 Ghz, and then got the JR 12X, when it finally came out, to cover all my needs for the foreseeable future. Both have been absolutely rock-solid. I didn't have such good luck as others have reported with Berg micro-receivers (had 2 of them) nor JR's 610M micro-receivers (had 4 of them), tried my JR 10X Tx and my 8103 Tx with the same results. I had any number of glitches flying 1/2A planes with just 2-3 microservos in them and using a 270 mah battery pack, which should have been plenty of capacity and no voltage sags. These glitches would happen at random times, even when relatively close to the Tx flying straight and level. The ground check range was always fine. Changed out batteries, switches, servos, receivers, frequencies and crystals... and never solved my micro-receiver problems (full size and weight Rx's worked fine in these planes, just too heavy to leave in there), until switching to Spektrum. As a BIG bonus, I no longer have an Rx with a 39" antenna in a 12" long airplane. I can't tell you how many times that trailing antenna has gotten stepped on while picking up the airplane or otherwise been a nuisance. So far, the Spektrum/JR 2.4 Ghz has worked flawlessly for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.