Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr Little Extra discontinued?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr Little Extra discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
wantcd
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr Little Extra discontinued?

I wanted the teal colored one but they are back ordered on Tower until early September. So I went to SIG's site and I was looking under discountinued items and the have the Little Extra listed. The site says they have 24 of the purple on hand so I went back to Tower and ordered the purple one because I did not want to take a chance on not being able to get the plane in teal if they are discountinued like they appear to be. So if you have been thinking about getting one now may be the time.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
NoNo123

Default RE: Herr Little Extra discontinued?

I just ordered one here:

http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=HRRA0600&P=7

And look for this plane i found some more shops that has them on stock.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:09 PM
wantcd
My Feedback: (5)

Now Tower has about 5 of the teal ones, but they would not let me change my order because it was already invoiced. Oh well the purple looks nice too. I ordered from Tower because they sent me a $20 off of $50 so I guess I cannot complain.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM
microsprint9

As one of the last great little ARF planes in this size SIG would be crazy to get rid of them, i'm pretty sure with all the rant about running a .10 to .15 in it there has been lots of sales, i hope they keep going.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, I didn't find anywhere in tower that said they were discontinued, not even on sale for closeout. I ordered one for fun anyway, the teal one.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Double prices for common ARFs from Horizon. Drastic markups on Great Planes products at Tower Hobbies, and other brands. The discontinuation of the more desirable planes and engines, along with the scalping of what ever's left available. Ever increasing fuel costs based on the recent excessive commodity runup. At least leccie flyers can still buy their motors and LiPos fairly cheap. But trust me, I'm sure that will change soon with the dollar debasing its self from the Chinese Yuan. By the time this all blows over, only the rich will be in the hobby. I just can't afford yet another plane. At least I have enough to last me a couple years, but who knows what may happen after that.

About the only thing I see new on the market are the cheap, ugly park foamies. I'll quit the hobby before I resign myself to buying one of them.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-03-2008, 10:41 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reality check.....

Sure Start $7 to $10

Tank, ... you can make yourself.

Sheet of 1/16 balsa less than $1. How many do you need to make a 1/2A plane?

Servos and batteries are getting cheaper by the sunset.

The Radio you already have. How many bells and whistles do you need for a small model?

Covering... Doculam. Life time supply for $25. Paint the glue side very lightly with watered down stuff you used in the house.

If you fly 1/2A you can legitimately squueeeeek when you walk. We can still do it the cheapest of all
Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: microsprint9

As one of the last great little ARF planes in this size SIG would be crazy to get rid of them, i'm pretty sure with all the rant about running a .10 to .15 in it there has been lots of sales, i hope they keep going.

They don't make as good an electric airplane as the dedicated E-aerobatic types do, and with a .15 on them they are too much airplane for the typical SIG customer.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: microsprint9

They don't make as good an electric airplane as the dedicated E-aerobatic types do, and with a .15 on them they are too much airplane for the typical SIG customer.
Its really a pretty tame plane with the OS .15LA on it...as opposed to its intended engine the Norvel .074 which made for a pretty lame plane in my experience.....It looks as if several of the Herr kits are back ordered/late sept, discontinued...I have gotten 3 of the Herr extras, one I'm flying, one teal one in the box and one in the trash..if they get discontinued, I'd get a couple more...Rog
Old 09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Digger-RCU

Mine flys great on an 074.
I figured last year when they dropped the price, that the handwriting was on the wall. I have been expecting the plane to be discontinued. Sig said that they were lowering the price because it was costing less to build them. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. They didnt really think we would believe that did they?

Digger
Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM
skyraider71

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

Double prices for common ARFs from Horizon. Drastic markups on Great Planes products at Tower Hobbies, and other brands. The discontinuation of the more desirable planes and engines, along with the scalping of what ever's left available. Ever increasing fuel costs based on the recent excessive commodity runup. At least leccie flyers can still buy their motors and LiPos fairly cheap. But trust me, I'm sure that will change soon with the dollar debasing its self from the Chinese Yuan. By the time this all blows over, only the rich will be in the hobby. I just can't afford yet another plane. At least I have enough to last me a couple years, but who knows what may happen after that.

About the only thing I see new on the market are the cheap, ugly park foamies. I'll quit the hobby before I resign myself to buying one of them.

NorfolkSouthern
Some 1/2 kits can still be had for around 40 bones, Wasp .061 is less than 50. Still cheap![sm=greedy.gif]
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Dito.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Mr. Mugen

I have 2 on stand by right now. I was planning to put a 26fs on one of them. It has such a big ole wing I figure I will get the weight difference figured out in a jiffy. The one I fly now has the OS15la and it is a perfect match IMO. I do not mean it has a 3:1 power ratio and it will not hang on the prop and whirl around. It is a floater and one heck of a hard plane to wreck. I cartwheeled mine on maiden and a few rough landings since and not a lick of damage. Since then I have over 150 flights on it without a single problem. Maybe a 3rd back up would be worth while since I have 4 kids growing like weeds. They all are interested in flying too. It would make a nice low wing trainer for the kids.

Kevin
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
microsprint9

Well i just got my new purple one two weeks ago from tower to replace one that got stuffed in from a radio problem, just crusing tower today and the purple one is listed as Discontiued and the teal one is showing Early Nov, so this might be the end, pick one up soon if you really want one or want a backup.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
hogflyer

I wonder if this is case of Tower not selling enough of them to warrant carrying them? They have also dropped a lot of Sig's other products that are still available on the Sig website.

Hogflyer
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 AM
bencav84

Hi,
Thinking of getting a little Extra..

What wind speed would this plane be good up to with a os10la on? Wouls using an ASP.12 be any better?

Thanks

BC
Old 10-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Mr67Stang

The Lil Extra handles the wind very well (not all pilots do though). With a .10 it will putter around nicely and be fairly aerobatic with energy conservation type flying. I fly mine with an OS .15 CV-A (Ball bearing engine) and it can hover. Ballancing is trickier with the heavier engine though. Don't just get one though
Old 10-28-2008, 12:16 PM
bencav84

Cheers Stang, the 12 it is (its ball raced and is the same weight as a .10LA!)

Get more than 1??? these are £65 in the UK, thats about $130!!! Still, thats a cheap plane here, especially for something with a good track recors (read: NOT VMAR!!!)

The thing is, purple or teal??? I have a teal and white plane, so, keep to a theme, or get something different??

BC
Old 10-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: bencav84

The thing is, purple or teal??? I have a teal and white plane, so, keep to a theme, or get something different??

BC
One of each???
Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
microsprint9

Now the purple one at tower says "IN STOCK limited quantities", i guess they found a few more in the back room or drained SIG of the remaining stock, either way still a great plane at $59.99 considering there aren't many in this size for glow power.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 PM
flyinrog

Nope even IFLYHERRdot com says the purple is discontinued...dont know about how long the teal will last I have one of each now and thats ok with me...Rog
Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 PM
skaliwag

They drained SIG. Blood suckers!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 PM
John C

My LHS just ordered on for me today from Sig, so there must still be some around. I had to settle for teal though, but he met Tower's price - $59.95.

I'll put a OS Max 10 FSR in mine. It turns a 7 X 4.5 prop 15,500 on 17.5% nitro fuel.

John C
Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 AM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Hiya Kevin,

After reading about these neat wee planes I decided to get one too.... mine has an OS 15 LA up front too. What size prop are you running and how long ( roughly ) does a tank of fuel last??

Thanks in advance, will post some pictures of mine shortly.

Paul
Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
John C

I flew mine Monday, see two posts above, and I'm very pleased with the flight characteristics and power with the .10 FSR. I was flying an APC 7X4 and will try a Master Airscrew 7X4 next time out. I was only using 10% fuel as that's all I have at the moment.

Loops, rolls, upright and inverted spins, all very nice to do. I did a little knife edge and will work on this some more next time. Take offs and landings are a non-event.

John C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.