Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Over & Under CG

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:21 PM
flyer495th

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over & Under CG

I have the plane. What I am really looking for is were is the CG point for it. Does anyone have the December 2005 AMA mag. by Bob Aberle.

Thanks for looking!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Over & Under CG

I don't have the mag, but in most monoplanes the CG is aprox 33% the chord from the front, usually on the spar, if it's a bipe you'll have to take the total chord of bolth wings, viewing from the side mounted on the plane(example- bolth wings have a chord of 6", but the lower wing is mounted 2" back from the top wing, your effective chord is now 10", 6" + 6"- 2" = 10") then shoot for the 31%-35% of that. It better to go conservative and shoot for 33% than to balance at 25%, nose heavy flies forever, tail heavy flies once.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Yuu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Over & Under CG

The article 'says' nothing about the CG. It does say the stab incidence is 'zero', and the wing incidence is +2*, and the electric motor is set 'zero/zero'. There is a very small picture showing how Bob pastes his plan to the manila folder to make templates, and one such small picture shows the CG at 9/32" back of the LE; that picture also shows the wing as 15/16" long [chord]. So, 9/32 // 15/16 comes out to 0.300, or, 30%. Here's a clue: the 'spar' is usually the strongest part of the wing, so, IF the plane is built TO PLAN, it should have the CG somewhere on the spar. Good Luck. Oh, this doesn't guarantee the you put the 'wing saddle' in the right place.....