Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ideas for a TT GP.10... Also, how to "untile" these free plans?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ideas for a TT GP.10... Also, how to "untile" these free plans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 PM
aphexian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for a TT GP.10... Also, how to "untile" these free plans?

Greetings everyone. I've been a fanatical lurker on this forum , and I've got a DNU, Skydrill, Grace and a couple other projects all going simultaneously... Anyways, I've got well over 20 Cox Sure Starts, a couple GP.07's, and I just picked up a GP.10, and I'm trying to come up with something worthy to mount this 10 upon. I know its no powerhouse and rather heavy, but I'm really just looking for something along the lines of a sportier "stik" style craft. I'm not looking for a rocketship, since the skydrills will fill that void nicely for me. Unlimited vertical is definately out of the question. Basically I'm wondering if I should get some help to scale something existing up slightly, or I should just bite the bullet and strap it on something intended for a smaller lighter engine and deal with the weight? I dont mind scratch building from plans at all, but I'm not very confident in scaling up existing plans and having it come out right by myself. Also, alot of these plans are tiled in advance, and I have the facility to print 24"+ wide (I was in the commercial printing biz before I got hurt), so any tips on how to reassemble the tiles into the original size for ease of printing?

Thanks in advance, I've enjoyed the heck out of all these free plans everyone graciously provides. Its kept me sane while I'm disabled with back trouble at the ripe young age of 26. Special thanks to guys like ptulmer, bipe flyer, skaliwag and the like.

P.S- Build threads are in order once my building skills increase to the point where I don't feel so embarrased showing off my sagging covering and random expoxy blobs. >=)

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice to lend!

-Mitch
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ideas for a TT GP.10... Also, how to "untile" these free plans?

Mitch, welcome.

Not sure what you your problem with tiling is. Is it the tiling itself or the sizing that is a problemR
Tiling was was done for convenience mostly. And cost as well. Typically most of us do not have access to the large capacity printing. Sure its better to have a plan on a single sheet. In that respect you have a definite advantage.

If it is the resizing that is your real problem then the solution is TilePrint.

http://www.blackflight.com/tileprint/

I think I am the only one to ever ask about putting tiles together before now.

Robert
Old 09-05-2008, 09:21 PM
aphexian

So tileprint will easily allow me to scale up plans, But wont be much help as far as putting all the tiles back together I assume? Is the resizing based on just percentages?

I suppose I could just try and chop up the individual tiles in an image editing program and try to mesh them back together, but I was just wondering if there was a cleaner, easier method...

I'd hate to bug the original designers for an untiled high-res PDF, so I'm not opposed to doing it myself if thats the only way to do it by hand so to speak... Most of them provide a low-res overview, but you can't blow that up too much without it becoming a pixelated mess...

-Mitch

Old 09-05-2008, 10:17 PM
longdan

I think there are some good candidates for .10-.15 sized engines in the electric ARF lineup. They would need a bit of beefing up around the front end, but I think you could get a decent .10 size model in the air without too much trouble.

As for reassembling tiles, I have done it in autoCAD, but it's a bit of a hassle and you lose the resolution, but it gets it back to 1 sheet.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While not free, you might look thru the RCM plans service. Most of the plans in the size range you're interested in run $9 or $10.

www.rcmmagazine.com Choose RCM Store, then Plans.

The Sniper, plan 984 is pretty slick and should carry the .10
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70443.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1027362  
Old 09-06-2008, 10:29 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to Tower hobbies and spell out House of Balsa, they have several nice .10- size kits, the stick and the space walker are nice...Rog
Old 09-20-2008, 02:50 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Herr Little Something Extra ARF. Tower is selling them for $59.99.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22869.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1036607  
Old 09-21-2008, 12:17 PM
aphexian

Thanks for your suggestions folks. After bench running the GP 10 and realizing it has a head leak, (2 out of 4 thunder tiger engines I own have cyl head leaks) I'm going to see if I can obtain replacement parts for it, or have it exchanged. Its a shame too, it runs really sweet and quiet, but who wants oil/fuel bubbling out underneath the head? ::sigh::
Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: aphexian
Thanks for your suggestions folks. After bench running the GP 10 and realizing it has a head leak, (2 out of 4 thunder tiger engines I own have cyl head leaks) I'm going to see if I can obtain replacement parts for it, or have it exchanged. Its a shame too, it runs really sweet and quiet, but who wants oil/fuel bubbling out underneath the head? ::sigh::
Have you tried lapping the head to the cylinder? What is causing the leak? Perhaps it is just a piece of grit or a scratch on the head gasket.

George
Old 09-22-2008, 01:38 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

OUCH! 26 is WAY too young to have spine problems. Take care of yourself and work on the physio and recover as much as you can. Hopefully all the way.

In the meantime if you can separate the pages you can use a grapics program to patch them into a single sheet for printing on larger formats. Some care and trial and error will be needed.

Or for plans for stuff that is current with the owners being on this forum ask if you can have the original CAD files.