Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Turbo or Nelson conversion for Norvel and Cox ???

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Turbo or Nelson conversion for Norvel and Cox ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:03 PM
turbo1889

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or Nelson conversion for Norvel and Cox ???

Okay, just installed my last spare glow unit for my Norvel 0.061 flying in the back yard, and I've only got three left for the cox 0.049 engines in the fleet. What's the better way to jump Turbo plug or Nelson plug conversion head like the Nelson plugs because they are nica and small and light weight but worried about future availability the O.S. turbo plug seems to be a little bit more of a stock item that more places carry. I've heard that these are the two conversions where I won't loose a lot of power by switching like with units that convert to a standard plug.

Thoughts please, from those of you that have one or both conversions in your fleets.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:23 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turbo or Nelson conversion for Norvel and Cox ???

I really wouldn't worry about turbo plugs disappearing from the market, as long as rossi and os make onraod rocket engines for racing, they'll be in supply.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Both Nelson and turbos perfprm well. Turbos are available in a greater number of heat ranges and from more manufacturers so that would be my choice. Here, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45..._1/key_/tm.htm is how you can make your own conversions.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:42 AM
AndyW

That link doesn't seem to work. Try, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 AM
digital_trucker

I'd go with the turbo plug for a few reasons.

You can get them at any LHS
They come in several heats
Regular glow plug clips fit them
Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

I'd go with the turbo plug for a few reasons.

You can get them at any LHS
They come in several heats
Regular glow plug clips fit them
Aside from the availability of turbo-plugs, you can buy the heads without having to make them on your own. Check the seller COX_HYPER_SPEED on thebay - he makes up a run and then sells out. There are a few currently in stock as of this morning: 9/8/08 . The same head will fit the COX .049, NORVEL .049 and the NORVEL .061.

Galbreath heads/NELSON plugs are available from Larry Driskill at www.kittingittogether.com .

Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

For those of you who've tried the turbo conversions, which particular turbo plugs have you tried, and which work? I've got a bunch of O'Donnell plugs from back when Tower was clearing them out, most of them are medium to cold, however. COX_HYPER_SPEED doesn't seem to be around any more, alas..

Iskandar
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If given the choice between Turbo and Nelson's, I would go Turbo for heat range and availability. More importantly for 1/2A motors the diameter is about 1mm smaller on the Turbo's. They both have a flat surface and that disturbs the head shape. Having said that, I wouldn't even use a conversion head on a Cox/Norvel type motor when you can get the Merlin, Norvel or Cox type heads that work better anyway. The Merlin needs a threaded clamp sleeve but comes with one if you buy three for $15. A Turbo plug is going to cost more than that around here and be slower. If you are running a motor that doesn't take the Cox style head then yes a Turbo conversion would be my choice, in fact I even bought a tap just for that. The Fox .15 BB runs with all the other motors now using an old burned out Rossi one piece head and a Turbo plug.-Oh yes most of the Nelson plugs have a bigger hex thatmost glow clips don't fit except one of the Merlin types.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 AM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aspeed . What Merlin Heat range / Nitro content do you use
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had good perfomance and long life from OS P3 Turbo plugs in various styles of .049s and a Medallion .09. I was disapointed in the O'Donnel turbo plug as it didn't make as much power due to being a colder plug with a larger hole and therefore less compression. I found the O'Donnel plug handy when I needed to tune the .09 down a bit during some training flights. A quick swap back to the OS plug had it crackling proper again.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
aspeed

I use 10% because the rules say that and it is easy to get.20% would be my choice. The Merlin tapered seat plug is a 6EHD witha green insulator. I haven't run them that much in the air yet so I can't say much. I got that for a larger motor. The .049 plug is 2019 1/2A Merlin. I don't know if they have a hot or cold rating for the purpose made Cox style one. It has a black insulator. I think there is a Glow Bee type of plug available too that looks like a stove element for a conversion type Tapered seathead. and also a two piece Turbo style too. I just use the Merlins because they are reasonably priced and handy at theToledo show.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
AndyW

A few years ago, someone was selling a supply of the Lite-Machines, Glow Bee VERSION for their Norvel powered, helis. These were made by LM, they were not a Glow Bee product.

The coiled element delivered more power than a stock, Norvel plug. Eliminating the glow element cavity, would up the compression a bit, but I'm not sure that was the whole story.

Does anyone know what heat range these were, and what has their experience been with these plugs? I ended up getting a dozen or more.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM
aspeed

I never used them but I can tell you stuff for free.  The old Glow Bee plugs were likely a cool plug.  A lot of guys were using them with very high nitro and pulling the element down a bit to go a bit faster.  That was the Fusite Division type plugs.  Don't know about the newer? Lite Machines type.  Merlin (Al Kelley) I believe has taken over the Glow Bee line.  He would be the guy to talk to.  Few other people would know as much as him IMHO.  If he isn't real busy he usually can tell you stories, or give info.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM
aspeed

Some pics showing a replacement type Merlin head for the Cox/Norvel, and a Nelson burned out GlowBee button head. There is also a pic of a GZ .049head with a Nelson plug compared to a Turbo style plug. You can sort of see that the bottom of the plug is bigger on the Nelson plug compared to a Turbo, and there isn't much shape left of the combustion chamber. Ilike the replacement type better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67783.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1872750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61510.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1872751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25275.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.0 KB