"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

OK Models, Baby build thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:53 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default OK Models, Baby build thread

I opened a thread asking about this plane. I got an answer from Pete. He had one and would sell it. I bought and had to finish up a couple other project before I could start this one. If you want the plans for it, they can be found [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7865759/tm.htm]Baby Plans[/link]

I finished my Das Not Ugly stick, 3 other ARF's I was working on and now for the Baby. It is a 36 inch span 0.049-0.061 sized 2-3 channel high wing cabin type plane. As with most of the planes back then they are pretty stout. This one has Spruce and ply doubler's every where. The formers are ply wood. The wing spar is 1/8 inch by 1/2 inch spruce. Teh first one I built way back when had (2) full sized 94102 servos, (4) AA pack and a large Rx. I think it weighed in at around 28 to 30 oz. It stil;l flew like crazy with a Cox Black Widow in the nose.

I am building two Babies, 1 will be glow powered and the other will be "E" powered. In the pictures, that is the E version I am building. I have cut the ribs, and most of the fuse. I am changing things as I go. I made the formers out of balsa instead of ply. The tail end formers are 1/8" and then a strip up the out side to help give it a little more strength. I am watching the weight of the E powered one just to be safe. I am going to use a balsa spar with a 1/8 inch square carbon fiber tube for strength. I will be using light weight foam wheels on both planes.

I have not thought of a color scheme yet, I will wait for it to take shape before I figure that out.

I have a new in box AP 0.061 just waiting for this plane. I also have (8) Dynam 9 gram servos just looking for homes. I will need to get a AAA Rx pack for the glow version. I am not sure on what motor ESC I will need for the E version. Will look that up as I build.

This is what I have so far. More to come soon.

Thanks.

Dru.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11658.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1037750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16915.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1037751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29594.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1037752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40410.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1037753  
Old 09-21-2008, 09:01 PM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: OK Models, Baby build thread

I think you have taken the right road to better flyability by lightening the structure.
This plane and the others of the day were designed to carry and endure the weight of much heavier radio equipment. Also most were made to be more durable for the beginner so that repairs might seem more possible when you had a lot more left to work with.

In the day almost all radios were flown with the quite heavy (for models of this size) 4 penlight battery packs. Ace R/C did come to the rescue with smaller lighter battery packs to help out.

Good luch with your build but am anxiously awaiting the build for the AP powered version.
BTW you can do better than a AAA RX pack for it. Smaller and lighter that is. It would be worth your while but even the AAA pack would be an improvement over the old style.

Typical AA is about 4 ounces: http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=435

At 1.7 ounces (not too bad) the AAA is here: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=4387

Or at 6 tenths of one ounce you could have one of these: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2472

For the same money at the same place you could have a larger capacity and still less weight than the AAA: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1339

Many possibilities more are out there.

For more info on using Lipo batteries with the higher voltages to replace the original RX pack look here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7972671/tm.htm

Robert
Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the E version I am using what balsa I have on hand. The sides are 3/32, the G version has 1/8 inch sides. I will be doing a built up tali for the E and sheet for the G. I have to pick up the carbon fiber stuff this week.

I have a 2/3 AAA pack I can use. I just like more battery then I need. I will take a weight penalty if I have too. No matter what I do I should be able to cut the weight by a ton. The servos weigh less then half that of the standard servos, the AAA pack weighs a lot less the the (4) AA pack I used last time. I do think I will use balsa in place of some of the spruce and in place of the ply doubles that are called for on the plans. The ply is just way over kill for this little plane.

Thnaks.

Dru.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:37 AM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I concur. Sometimes a weight penalty can be justified by peace of mind. It's just that some times too much peace of mind. True also that you never want to run short of RX juice before the engine quits!

I appluade your lightening methods of looking so many places instead of only two or three. Remember that every corner you sand off makes a difference as well so don't spare the sanding.

Robert
Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was able to get about an hour and a half out there tonight. I was able to cut some balsa to replace the spruce stringers. Teh spruce was over kill. I replaced it with some medium balsa. I kept the stock ply formers 3 and 4. Those are the ones at the leading and trailing edges. I may go with a bolt on wing. I have some 10-32 nylon screws. I could use two of them and that would hold well enough.

I worked on the stock G version tonight. Tomorrow I will work on the E version to keep them together in the building. I need to go by Hobby People and pick up some square carbon tubes for the spars. I think the balsa and carbon spars will be stronger then the spruce one that came in the kit.

It is coming together pretty well. I have the fuse ready to plank. I will get some more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks.

Dru.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are the two version I am building. The one on the left is the E version and the right hand one is the G version. With just not using the plywood parts it all ready feels lighter. The G version is stronger but it is heavy. I have the planking done on the bottom of the E version.

I will pick up the carbon tube tomorrow for the spars. The spruce spar is pretty heavy. I think the balsa and carbon spars will cut the weight down some. If I can shave a little here and there it will add up.

More to come.

Dru.

Name:	Nl28567.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1040454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79747.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1040455  
Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 PM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (104)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dru, looking good! will be very interested in how the E&G versions compare on the first flights. keep the pic,s coming. Pete
Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Pete. So far it looks like there is 3 of use who are interested in this thread. Lots of people look so I will keep it going.

Here is what I got done to night.

I finished the planking on both versions and I got the spars built up. The stock spruce spars work just fine. I just went with a carbon fiber and balsa spar to save some weight and make the wing a little stronger. The carbon is pretty stiff and I used medium hard balsa.

I have been thinking of what color to cover them in. I was think of all day glow colors but I was thinking this is an old timer sort of looking plane. It does not have a nice stick and tissue frame work like the Kadet or the old balsa free flight planes so I do not think trans red would work. I was thinking of bright red and metallic electric blue. Teh other could be a bright yellow, orange and red with some neon blue for contrast. Still thinking of color schemes.

Dru.

Name:	Ca82222.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1041001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15359.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1041002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90404.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1041003  
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 PM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote by Dru:
"I will pick up the carbon tube tomorrow for the spars. The spruce spar is pretty heavy. I think the balsa and carbon spars will cut the weight down some. If I can shave a little here and there it will add up."

This is indeed true. It is so much easier to build lightness into a plane than to try putting it on a diet after finding it heavier than you would prefer!

As for colors I like cream or off white with a contrast of most any dark color like brown, blue, black, green. red, maroon...

Robert
Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking great!

I would add this plane is pretty light, even if built like the plans, compared to a Ace Whizard with that 1/4" balsa body top, and the foam wing. The model is a old favorite, hope you can add a few flight pictures!!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am going to see if I can get some short video's of the flights. I need to borrow a camera, but I will get something. One of the heaviest planes I have had was the Ace Grass Hopper. It was all light ply, foam wing. It was super strong and could take a mighty hit, but it was a tank in the air.

This should be a good flying plane. I think I will order the brushless motor and ESC for the E version. I think I am going to run a Turnigy 2826 1600 motor. Should be fine for this plane. I have a couple 1350 3sip lipos just sitting in the draw doing nothing. I have a couple 360 lipos too.

Dru.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I had some time this evening to work on the Babies. I bent up the gear for the E version and got that mounted.

Next was the horizontal stab. I used the G version as a template and then made a frame out of 1/8"X1/2" hard balsa. I have a strange way of building things. I use small dabs of hot gule to hold the parts down. I put 2 small dabs on the tips pieces of the stab to hold them in place. Then I cut the trailing edge piece to fit between the tips. I put a sing dab in the middle of the trailing edge piece. Then I cut the center section. I put a small dab towards the front to hold it in place. Then cut the leading edge pieces. Then I added the ribs. After everything was glued with Ca, I sanded the top smooth. Then I use a 6 inch long flex knife to cut the part loose from the table. Sand the bottom and all done. I cut the vertical and rudder from sheet stock.

Then I started on the wings. I had to cut a few pieces. I found some balsa that was close to the leading edge pieces from the kit. I had two ailerons from an old ARF that matched the profile just right so I cut 1/2 inch of the trailing edge part to make the trailing edge for the E version.

I started by drawing out the rib locations on the board. I used the spruce spare to get the locations. Then I HG the trailing edge down. Then I put the carbon spar in one rib and Ca'ed the rib to the trailing edge then I added the rib on the opposite side of the wing to locate the spar. Then I filled in the ribs. Then I glued the leading edge on. Wing panel was done in about 10 minutes.

After building 4 panels, making sure I made 2 right panels and 2 left panels. I sanded the angle on the leading edge, spar and trailing edge Then I glued the dihedral brace to one side of one panel. Then I glued the other panel in place. Then I glued the second dihedral brace on.

Well I have one wing ready for tips and center section sheeting. The other wing panels need sanding of the center joint angles.

Thats all for to night.

Dru.

Name:	Ay74576.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1041497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71288.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1041498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96334.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1041499   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42833.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1041500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64813.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1041501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27692.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1041502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87855.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1041503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25546.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1041504  

Old 12-18-2008, 10:32 PM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any further progress?

Robert
Old 12-19-2008, 02:01 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had a few issues and there was not much interest in the build. I have a Extra 2829-16 brushless motor of it. I have both wings built and just needing the tips installed. Teh fuse needs the chin blocks and some final sanding. I will take some pics and post this weekend.

Thnaks.

Dru.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:35 PM
chevy43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Could you weight the two horizontal stabs and see which came our lighter? I've seen that sometimes a built up vrs sheet that the sheet can come out lighter.... I gues that is because of the glue...

I like your hot glue idea - but how do you keep the rest of it from sticking to the board when you ca it?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I finally finished a few projects around the house and a few others that were taking up space on my bench.

Chevy, the built up tail is lighter. I can feel it in my hand. I am also using 1/32 inch thinner balsa on the built up unit. The sock balsa is pretty heavy heart grain. Not as bad as the old Guillows, but close

I have the motor mounted and just playing with where to put stuff to keep the CofG in the correct place without adding any lead to balance. If I put a 3 cell 910 right at the trailing edge of the wing with the servos and ESC towards the leading edge it balances right on the spar.

The motor is a Xtra brand 2829/16 I did find I need to make new landing gear. With the E prop, I am about 2 inches to short. I have an 8 inch prop in the pic. If I went to a 7 inch I would still hit the ground. SO I will make longer legs for it.

Dru

Name:	Sq46134.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1153187  
Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 AM
beagleman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for posting this. Looks like a fun build, but it's helpful for us beginners to see it all come together.