Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Picked up a Norvel

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a Norvel

Just picked up a NIB Norvel .049 c/l for $30 on another site. SWEET! But I know what is comming up next.... what to do about a glow head? So what is the thing to do now-a-days? Galbreth/Nelson head combo? What else? So what are my options here? I have not run a Norvel in a good while. This little baby is going on a BLINK! Home made film can tank. CF rods. Anyway, what should I do for glow plugs on this one?

Does anyone have something extra sitting around? Link to some place where I can get the hook-up? I know you guys know what I need to know, I just need you to tell me what you know so I can know what you know. Ya know?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:24 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Picked up a Norvel

This should help some: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7656821/tm.htm

Also here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7973256/tm.htm

Sounds like you got a great deal, Robert
Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Cox glow head works and fits fine..didnt it come with a glow head, cause mine still work fine after years..I only lost one on my .074...get a cox sure start (if it didnt come with the glow head) for $8 take the glow head and trash the rest of it....Rog
Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Yuu

go to 'kittingittogether' and buy the replacement head $10 and a couple Nelson $4.50 glow plugs. Mine run great.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
2fast4u

I found Mr Galbreth's web site last night and sent him an e-mail. We will see. I will check the location above also. Thanks guys. This will be my winter project I guess. A Blink should be really fun to fly.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:26 PM
2fast4u

YEP! Just what I was looking for. Thanks

http://www.kittingittogether.com/glow-plugs/
Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 AM
2fast4u

Well, I'm not one to brag, but..... I got this little jewl in the mail yesterday and I swear it is BRAND NEW! Even smells brand new. Everything is there. Piston & plug are spotless. I can not believe I got this for $30 bucks. Last year I sold several of these for around $50 each and they were well broken-in. :-) Ok bragging off now.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Norvels are funny, either the person selling it thinks it's the last one in existance or they could care less and give it away, there is no happy medium in pricing, most of the time they're over priced and worn out, sometimes you get lucky and get a good tight norvel, and sometimes your a bandit that gets a good one for cheap.
Just my 2cents
Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Well I have 2 more cents...a newer member was asking about some new norvels I offered him a couple of used ones to take apart instead of his new ones...an .049,.061 and threw in a cast sure start for the extra glow head,,well,,I bought BobHH's little stick from him that had the norvel .061 on it,,so the reason Bob is a Norvel hater is because of this engine, starts hard, runs rough..I dont care because I had plans to put my .074 on the plane, never touched his .061 so it was one of the offered engines..well said new guy took it apart and informed me the con rod was bent!!!...I remember I think on the LMH heli forum someone (or maybe here) made a beefed up con rod, didnt look to hard to make....Rog
Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

Hehehe And I still took them apart anyway! I know, kind of risky on an engine I've had no prior experience with and that I paid around $130 for (hey it was my first Norvel, give me a break, I really had to have one and see what they were all about). It was a brand new .061 Revlite Big Mig R/C which I haven't got the guts to break in yet, so a big thank you to Rog for giving me such a great deal on those other engines to 'learn on'. Also I really appreciate the rest of the guys in this forum that have helped me understand the different versions and so much more information when I was in my dark ages (Pre-Norvel life). Since those 4 engines I got about a month ago I've picked up:

.049 Pre-Revlite Big Mig R/C NIB
.074 Revlite Big Mig R/C Used
.074 Revlite Big Mig R/C NIB
.074 Revlite Big Mig R/C NIB
.061 Revlite Big Mig C/L NIB
.061 Pre-Revlite Big Mig R/C Used
.049 Revlite AME C/L NIB
.061 Revlite AME C/L NIB ($20!!! from a local club member)
.049 Revlite AME R/C NIB

So I think I'm set for a little while (well, at least the upcoming winter anyway while I try to build enough planes to put all these in).
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

Oh, and to keep on topic: For my .061/.049's I've got Galbreath/Nelson combos with both standard and hot plugs, the .074 I have Jon Valentine's Norvel Hyper Speed Turbo Plug Head and some OS turbo plugs. He also makes a turbo head for the .061. I can't really comment on performance though since I haven't tried the different combinations of heads and plugs yet...(yeah I know, some help I am).