Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Joy stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joy stick

Hi All,
I was rumaging around in a box of monokote scrap and found all the wood parts to a pair of JOY STICKS. It did not have very many parts any how and I still have one foam wing in the saddles and two 36" blanks. A friend and myself cut out 8 scratch kits for this bird way back in the eighties. There is two left over and I still had the formica wing templates. hmmm now ithink i know were to hang my other TD 049!

Does any one remember this plane?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:21 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Joy stick

The Joystick I remember didn't have foam wings, it was open bay, looked very much like my SR250 electron powered plane I fly now.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original RCM plans:

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80843.gif
Views:	34
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1041718  
Old 09-27-2008, 02:27 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like a quick enough build to qualify for combat. [8D]
I get a kick out of the engine specifications given on published plans like this.......like they have done exhaustive testing of all engine sizes on this plane and have concluded that only .049-.051 will work.
I was almost sure that a .049 would be OK, but I'm very surprised to see that a .051 will work also.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 PM
OzMo

Yep that is exactly the plane. We scratch built and the guy that taught me to fly was teaching foam wing making SOOOOO
we have foam wings. That was in the mid 80s and I still use the set up I started with for foam cutting.
Bet that would be a fast 'un with one of my 15s on it[>:]
Old 09-27-2008, 08:20 PM
KidEpoxy

ok... is it me,
or does that thing look like it is on stilts for gear?

Is this thing gonna be swinging 10" props?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 PM
rainedave

It was designed for tall grass.[X(]
Old 09-27-2008, 09:32 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I still have one of these in the cellar. It was the second plane I built from plans, the first was an RCM QuickStik. It was powered by a TD.051 on a Kraft mount with a separate tank in the fuselage. It was a bit of a handful as it didn't have ailerons. It had lots of dihedral and to turn it you gave it rudder and then plenty of elevator. It came around then. The radio was a Cannon "brick". Remember those? I still have the templates and the plans.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: OzMo

Yep that is exactly the plane. We scratch built and the guy that taught me to fly was teaching foam wing making SOOOOO
we have foam wings. That was in the mid 80s and I still use the set up I stared with for foam cutting.
Bet that would be a fast un with one of my 15s on it[>:]
In the late '70's before we actually had a club per se, a few of us gathered regularly on a sod field and flew. One of the veterans of the group had a Joy Stick with a stubborn Taipan .15. I recall it moved out quite well when he could launch it without the engine quitting. I'm not sure it was all the engine's fault (wink), but he built well and was an excellent pilot. So the moral is - go for it!

But lose those tips and make something racier instead, looks like a Kadet.

MJD
Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 PM
combatpigg

MJD, I was given a Taipan .15 and it needed to be run with a small prop or it wouldn't run. It was a real screamer that eventually broke the crank at the counterweight. Fun while it lasted.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:41 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Muscle plane?....
Old 09-27-2008, 11:59 PM
rainedave

Here's a similar design for four channels. The Centerfire.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38150.gif
Views:	36
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1042067  
Old 09-28-2008, 12:05 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

MJD, I was given a Taipan .15 and it needed to be run with a small prop or it wouldn't run. It was a real screamer that eventually broke the crank at the counterweight. Fun while it lasted.
Knowing some people's penchant for overpropping engines, I think it might at the least have had a 7-4, if not more prop on it. I should visit him this Monday, come to think of it, haven't seen him in ages. Maybe I'll sneal a peek at what the prop was, it's probably in a drawer or in the airplane still, hanging somewhere waiting to fly again. If he's a real modeller that is..

Okay, what was that about? Oh yeah - it's 1am and I really should be downstairs eating a soup bowl full of frosted flakes and watching something ludicrous like South Park or Family Guy, instead of posting on the 1/2A forum. But instead I am going downstairs to fondle some eBay and private sale stuff I rounded up this week, much of which is 1/2A - A FF stuff. Drool drip.

'nite all, sweet dreams and don't drink the castor oil.

MJD
Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 AM
rainedave

ORIGINAL: MJD
...it's 1am and I really should be downstairs eating a soup bowl full of frosted flakes and watching something ludicrous like South Park or Family Guy...

MJD
It's 1:54am here and I just finished eating three bowls of Rice Chex. I was watching that Clint Eastwood movie with the r/c car bomb. I was actually thinking it was pretty ludicrous.

David
Old 09-28-2008, 07:15 PM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Here's a similar design for four channels. The Centerfire.

David
It needs round wing tips. IMHO
Old 09-29-2008, 12:42 PM
slopass

The Joy Stick was my first R/C build and my first R/C plane. I covered it with some obscenely heavy, but tough Black Baron CoverRite (I think). It had a $21 TD .049 and a $150 Kraft 3-channel (only 2 used) Brick (aptly named) dry batteries and an ounce of MissleMist fuel. I could get the TD screaming pretty good from my recent control line planes and it was singing that day. My dad chunked it in the sky and I probably covered most of a 150' box in about 30 seconds before I augered it in the ground. I never had control - just reacting and overcontrolling, but I'll always remember that fateful flight fondly - I was actually flying that mechanical flying machine of my own making. After that I built several Q-Tee versions before I got comfortable flying. I still love building from plans the most and I still wreck planes and I still love repairing them and trying to get them to fly and so on, and so on. i still get the same thrills - it's a great hobby, and not as expensive (relatively) as it was "back in the day." I just completed a Lil Stick (4 channel w/ASP .25) - super flyer! I think I'll slap together a Joy Stick to remind to myself how much I've improved my building/flying skills over the last 36 years, but I'll cheat a little and use a throttle - hey give me a break!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:00 PM
MrMulligan

After I had built mine, a buddy decided to build his with ailerons. He took out some of the dihedral and added full strip ailerons. Then he powered it with a TD on bladder pressure. That was fun! Getting the TD to run smoothly was a chore. As I think about this, it would have been a blast with a Norvel. It was a strong aircraft.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:47 PM
RB51

Hey, I think I have one of those kits you made. I was just considering building it as an electric. We flew these alot here at Eldon, MO in the 80's. Mine all had ailerons and used the TD051. Our most prolific pilot here (you know his name) thinned the airfoil on one and it was an absolute screamer. Good to hear someone remembers this plane as it was a very good flyer. All ours had no wing dihedral.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
combatpigg

Say hi to Mr Clean and tell him to stop farting around with those Spads and to start chiming in over here!

BTW, remind him that the object of 1/2A is to see how light you can build a plane and have it come out still flyable.......
OTOH, the object of SPADS is to see how heavy you can build a plane and have it come out still flyable.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:55 PM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: MrMulligan

After I had built mine, a buddy decided to build his with ailerons. He took out some of the dihedral and added full strip ailerons.
Must of been LL, I remember spending a day at the Telegraph Rd. field with you guys flying the two of them Everytime I fly my SR2500 I think of that day!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 PM
MrMulligan

That was it. Really fun times with a lot of laughing.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 PM
OzMo

ORIGINAL: RB51

Hey, I think I have one of those kits you made. I was just considering building it as an electric. We flew these alot here at Eldon, MO in the 80's. Mine all had ailerons and used the TD051. Our most prolific pilot here (you know his name) thinned the airfoil on one and it was an absolute screamer. Good to hear someone remembers this plane as it was a very good flyer. All ours had no wing dihedral.
Yep you got one! I was a rank beginner then and rebuilt that fuse countless times. No one including me felt I was seriously ready to fly it. But you know how newbies can't be convinced sometimes. The foam wing BTW was nearly indestuctable. yep one piece 36" fully semetric with 1/16 balsa sheeting. Fraggles were a give a way toy at McDonalds and my son had me stick one of his under the canopy.

That unnamed pilot also built a Joy Stick full house with an OS 10 on the shortened nose... much later he simplified one of his other planes into 4 mil thick 2' square thingies
Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM
OzMo

Old post, old plane,
I like to collect a few kits off of Eba^ now and then. SO I saw a kit for the JOYSTICK and won it yesterday. I think an electric set up would be really fine in this frame. I think I will work up a trio of them and give one to each of our clubs main mower guys. one for me of course[>:] mine will have to use the screamin TD that was on the first one!