Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Precision Needle Valve Assemblies for O.K. Cubs and more

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Precision Needle Valve Assemblies for O.K. Cubs and more

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:15 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Precision Needle Valve Assemblies for O.K. Cubs and more

I was on the Texas Timers website looking at the high performance needle valve for the Cox Tee Dees and noticed they also have another needle valve with 128 threads per inch and the tight seal for engines like Wen Mac, Gilbert, O.K. Cubs and even the Cox Medallion engines.

I wish I kew this about a year ago when I bought a Wen Mac from a fellow real cheap and during shipping he had left that long NV in the engine and by the time it got here the NV had snapped off. I didn't think I would ever get that stupid little threaded nub out of the outer part. Long story short, I had to get a new NV that wound up costing more than the cost of the engine and its shipping.

I'm going to have to get one of these just to try and see.
Check it out here:
http://www.texastimers.com/accessori...edle_valve.htm

Robert
Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Precision Needle Valve Assemblies for O.K. Cubs and more

Wow, thanks for that site!

Looks like they took over the old Kustom Kraftsmanship line of needle valves. I have some of those but never thought I'd find more seals. If you wanted to run a TD on pressure you really needed one of these needle assemblies for any kind of consistancy. Especially if you bored out the venturi.

Mike
Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Texas Timers will someday run out of these excellent (and very well made) fine thread needle valves, but for those afflicted with a mild case of scroungeitis, there will always be some around to be found. They aren't something of exotic origin. The needle, seal and spray bar are all original Cox manufactured parts that were used with their early product type engines.

Arlen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57968.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1047227  
Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: optech

Wow, thanks for that site!

Looks like they took over the old Kustom Kraftsmanship line of needle valves. I have some of those but never thought I'd find more seals. If you wanted to run a TD on pressure you really needed one of these needle assemblies for any kind of consistancy. Especially if you bored out the venturi.

Mike
Mike, no problem. It's just that I have seen so many mentions about the O.K. Cubs sometimes having a truly poor NV and others telling how to modify it and make it better and then, almost in the same breath warning that you could really damage the original NV.
As well, lots of non Cox engines could do with a finer NV with a good seal.

Arlen... Arlen, My man, you are DaMan! I never knew that about This NV!
I can see it now.
So the Kirn Kraft was only a repackage? Not that there is any thing wrong with that but I had always been under the impression that Kirm manufactured these.

Scroungeitis:
I have been, currently am and as long as I am able to be a scrounger. Now admitting this in front of the whole world, I hope I am not one step closer to recovery.
I have always been a believer that many "found" objects and materials can be put to good use in our hobby substituting for sometimes ridiculous prices for things we use in our hobby.
Wooden coffee stir sticks, the tiny plastic tubes from WD 40 cans or carb cleaner, Doculam, 35mm film canisters etc.

Robert
Old 10-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Silvaire

Robert,

Not to take ANYTHING away from Dale Kirn...

Dale recognized the benefit of the Cox fine thread needle valve, and he wisely choose to use it in the creation of his his Tee Dee fine thread needle valve assembly.

(I don't know for sure if his version with the squarish brass body predated the Ace version with the nylon body, but I suspect that it did.)

The Texas Timer "retrofit" spray bar at the link you posted is an unmodified Cox part.

An interesting side note is that this needle valve was also used in the Shuriken engines.

Arlen
Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Yuu

Silvaire... in the 'needle valve thread' you posted a photo of the Cox product with a steel shield on the back side of the cylinder. Was this for an express purpose to deflect exhaust from the rear area of the engine, or just something from one of the many plastic planes Cox made??
Old 10-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Silvaire

ORIGINAL: Yuu

Silvaire... in the 'needle valve thread' you posted a photo of the Cox product with a steel shield on the back side of the cylinder. Was this for an express purpose to deflect exhaust from the rear area of the engine, or just something from one of the many plastic planes Cox made??
I dunno anything about the shield, this engine was just the one closest to the top of the box when I stuck my hand in...

To the best of my knowledge these engines were only used in the RTF models, so this shield must have been for a tight installation in one of those. As you can see, there is no "conventional" way to mount these engines. Carl Goldberg did make a nice nylon adapter once, that I think fit behind the red backplate you see on this engine.

Arlen
Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 PM
build light

Yup! Like these.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41885.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1048312