Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

G-Mark .15 single

Old 10-14-2008, 09:54 AM
cashrc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Mark .15 single

Posted a pic or tw on of this on another newsgroup, didn't get a whole lot of info on it, wondering if any of the G-mark fans have ever seen one, or flown one. It seems to be a nicely made engine, okay compression, and a neat slide valve carb and funky looking muffler. Anybody had any experience with it? Here's some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48766.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1051580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53232.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1051581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42403.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1051582  
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: G-Mark .15 single

the Gmark engine are rare and the 15 is even more rare as far as I know. I would hold on it to it not sell it. it should take over 200-250 now on the bay. they were never very strong engines.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:24 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only G-Mark I have is an .03 RC. The story as I understand it is that they were made by a Japanese watch maker. When He passed away, an American company bought the dies and tooling and had it shipped to the USA. The transporting ship ran into a storm and everything was damaged by sea water to the extent of being unusable.

Ran across someone on one of the boards that has a complete collection, including the 5-cylinder .30. If I remember correctly, the 5-cyl ran very well but did not have enough power to do much in a plane. Seldom (if ever) does a multi-cylinder have power equal to the single cylinder equivalent.

Run it and enjoy it as the fine piece of machinery that it is.

George
Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.15's are indeed rare. I'm a bit of a Gmark fan, and have only ever seen one in person. This was before I knew what Gmark was all about and I passed it up at a swap meet. Since then I have acquired 3 .03's, 2 .061's, a .12 Twin, a .30 twin, and a .30 radial. I have to say that the .15 single and .30 twin are particularly uninspiring in their design, pretty homely by standards of the day. I let my .30 twin go at a swap show last year or so and it ended up on Ebay within a week or two. There were a few guys working in kahoots to scour the show for engines and then list them on ebay. Oh well.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:18 PM
eatherbreather

Hi all,
Can anyone confirm or check for me if the r/c car by on the G-mark .30 twin it the same car by used on the .15 single cylinder engine? I have a .15 single coming that needs a car by and muffler.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:13 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ether breather - love the handle, it's one of my favorite short stories, always fantasized about mind-messing with TV broadcasts afterwards. Unless you got the name from the band, which got it from the story anyhow. Sorry I don't have a G-mark carby,.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:27 AM
eatherbreather

Hey there!

Thanks for your reply! I have a spare carby that is identical to the one on my .30 twin - I reckon it will fit but I just want to know if it is actually the correct part or not. Pics on the internet are typically few and far between and kinda blurry.

Eatherbreather was meant to be spelled Etherbreather in reference to my love of model diesel engines but I typo'd it "back in the day" and it has stuck. Small joke also being that of if ether fumes are inhaled 😴. I had no idea there was/is a band with the same name and know nothing of the story you mention.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, now you can expand the depth of meaning of your RCU handle! Ether Breather is a classic1939 humorous sci fi short story by Theodore Sturgeon, involving aliens who live in the ether that enjoy childish fun and and can mentally manipulate TV broadcasts.. pretty much my fantasy state of existence.

Out of curiosity I searched the G mark .15. Bummer, in 2012 someone had a carb on the classifieds.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:23 PM
eatherbreather

Interesting! I learn something new everyday! 😊
Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 AM
jbbodz

Originally Posted by eatherbreather
Hey there!

Thanks for your reply! I have a spare carby that is identical to the one on my .30 twin - I reckon it will fit but I just want to know if it is actually the correct part or not. Pics on the internet are typically few and far between and kinda blurry.

Eatherbreather was meant to be spelled Etherbreather in reference to my love of model diesel engines but I typo'd it "back in the day" and it has stuck. Small joke also being that of if ether fumes are inhaled 😴. I had no idea there was/is a band with the same name and know nothing of the story you mention.
Just try it it should be fine. Having a look, I have quite a few G Mark engines. The .30 and the .15 share the same carb. At first I looked at the .15 and appears to have a small step in the carb trumpet and the .30 did not. However I looked at another .30 I had which had the step. Measuring with a vernier appear to be the same ID
Old 12-08-2017, 01:26 AM
eatherbreather

Thanks for the info! Now I just gotta find one of them dorky looking "box" mufflers for it.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:32 AM
jbbodz

Originally Posted by eatherbreather
Thanks for the info! Now I just gotta find one of them dorky looking "box" mufflers for it.
Fox the .30 or the .15? Interesting muffler on both. The .15 is a nicely made engine. Should start a G-Mark thread would be interested to see photos and literature from others?