Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a Rivets Build!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:16 AM
forsakenrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2a Rivets Build!

Somegeek, I have 7 bikes so sometimes that why airplanes have a slow point.

the monokote has frusterated me to I took a two day break to collect. I will get back at it tonight.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, as a bad pilot and a worse builder..you want ultracote, not monocote,,yeah I know its a cost per roll so you probably gotta use it .. but, next time ultracote.....Rog
Old 11-26-2008, 09:01 AM
forsakenrider

well rog, thanks for the advice, the good news is, my blue and white are ultrakote. I will get them to order me red ultrakote and F%*K this monokote. Its upsetting.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

I've had the same problem with Monocote recently. I covered one of my Quickie 428 wings in yellow. I did the vacuuming and tack rag bit and it just would not stick or tighten up. I almost burnt a hole through it with the heat gun!!! Seems I've heard that Topflite changed vendors on their supplier in China. I also have some older roles that have worked great. Yep Rog the Ultracote is a much better product in my opinion. I also like the Ultracote lite for the 1/2A stuff.

Bob Harris
Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The green is Ultracote

I haven't had too many problems with either and use both...sometimes on the same airplane[X(]
Old 11-26-2008, 10:24 AM
vicman

I like the looks of Monokote neon better since it doesn't fade but working with it isn't too fun, there is some kind of double layer that gets messed up if you get too hot.
Ultracote neon fades too quickly IMO.

Bob, the BuckShot is Monokote.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
forsakenrider

Well I ordered red ultracote. Since my other two colours are ultracote I think it will work out better.

now, how do I get the Monokote off my wing without wrecking anything?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: vicman

I like the looks of Monokote neon better since it doesn't fade but working with it isn't too fun, there is some kind of double layer that gets messed up if you get too hot.
Ultracote neon fades too quickly IMO.

Bob, the BuckShot is Monokote.
Dude you know I dont have any models that last long enough to fad!!

Always run the iron up and down my pants leg to cool it off enough to start monokote...once you get it on it takes a lot to shrink it (in my case anyway) tough to get started covering though....Rog
Old 11-26-2008, 02:08 PM
boberos

Forsaken,

To remove Monocote,
Heat wood area with iron & peel covering off right beside iron when covering is still hot.
Don't try to remove covering cold.
Works for me.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 11-26-2008, 02:13 PM
forsakenrider

well I brought my wing to work today and used the industrail heat gun (we use it for ski poles) and it shrunk!!! I guess it just REALLY needs to be hot after you tack it on....

Hmmm.

So cool to tack it on then extreme heat for the finish???
Old 11-26-2008, 08:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, but always remember to keep the high heat away from any edges or seams.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Yuu

There's a small 'valve' at the back end of the heat gun. Turn the valve, and it reduces the air intake, and it gets Hotter. Some guys even close off two or three of the 'intake holes'... but sometimes they burn up the heat coil inside. Just in case you didn't know.... and an oven thermometer can help you set the heat range needed on the heat gun. Hair dryers don't even come close. There is also a 'craft' heat gun, which has a marker "NOT FOR HAIR... CRAFT USE ONLY" because it is hotter.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 AM
boberos

I never use a heat gun to remove old covering film, because I can't control the heat well enough.
I always use a covering iron like I mentioned above.

Just heat the covered wood in the area where you want to remove covering
& pull off the covering right beside the iron while it is still hot & while you slide the iron along the wood.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Old 12-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Carlos G

Hi BobHH,

Do you still offer plans for your 1/2A Rivets? I use to do a little half A racing about 20yrs ago and seeing your Rivets has given me a little itch I need to scratch...

Let me know here in the forums or pm me. I still have a few TD's left to play with. Electrics are okay but, there's nothing like the smell of 40% in the morning, It smells like Victory!

Best Regards,

Carlos G.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:48 AM
BobHH

Well Carlos, I do have plans but they do not show rib detail or fuselage former detail. I'm going to make another kit run of Rivets, QuikShot, and Mako Shark Faces the first of the year so if you are interest in the full laser cut kit let me know.

Bob Harris
Old 12-13-2008, 11:19 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: BobHH

Well Carlos, I do have plans but they do not show rib detail or fuselage former detail. I'm going to make another kit run of Rivets, QuikShot, and Mako Shark Faces the first of the year so if you are interest in the full laser cut kit let me know.

Bob Harris
I dont think I've seen a Mako Shark Face yet..got a pic?...Rog
Old 12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
vicman

Only one of the chosen few got a look at that model Rog. And it wasn't me either.
I'm wondering how it's running on that Amish miracle fuel.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 PM
flyinrog

So uncle Ray's got his fingers in the pie now eh? Well a kit is the only way I'd build one again, me and TW had the exact same thing happen,, just fell outa the sky in a turn !! and mine after repairs, smooth steady flight till the wing broke in half!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:37 PM
vicman

I think Bob gave it to him in an attempt to get something stirred up between me an him. Nobody's got nuthin for the ol black widow.[>:]
Old 12-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Carlos G

Hi BobHH,

Andrew has sent me the PDf files of the Owen Kampen version of the Rivets. From what I've read in the forums it sounds like the version you have is different, beefier in the wing and such.

Av8rsodt mentioned he had a kit from a few years ago that he would part with. I would not mind having a spare around in case the earth decides to rise up and smite me.

Let me know where and when to send the $ to. I look forward to picking up another Rivets kit.

Thank you Bob for your reply,

Carlos G.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:05 PM
06sportster
My Feedback: (7)

I too am wanting to take a shot at building the Rivits, I've never built just from plan only kits and ARFs. So I'm not sure if I could do a good job form just plans.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
BobHH

Well, Carlos, Owen's version is qiute different. I did use his outline as a sort but changed the fuselage and wing rib design as well as changed the wing incidence and spar locations. His was setup with free flight type of design for a .020. Mine was for flat wing with ailerons and low lift wing to decrease the balloning effect at high speed.

The Mako Shark Face again uses the basic projected outline of the Shark Face. I've changed the fuslage design and put the same airfoil used on the QuikShot which has done very well in the past.

Carlos, I'll put you on th list and will let you know when I get some kits assembled.

Bob Harris
Old 12-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Carlos G

Hi Bob & Company,

I have a question for all of you, did you build the Owen Kampen Rivets to orginal size or did you scale it up a bit to fit a Cox .049/.051? If you enlarged it a bit, what was the wing span of your models?

It seems maybe a slightly larger version ( 32" to 36")would be a better handling model. A wing area of about 220 sq. inches seems to fly really well for a .049 type racer.

Any comments would be apreciated. Thank you for your help

Carlos G
Old 12-14-2008, 05:40 PM
BobHH

Carlos, my Rivets wingspan is 27 inches where as Owens is 26 I think. I enlarged just slightly the wing area to around 160 in/sq. This seemed the appropriate seeing how it uses a flat bottom wing which is a bit slower than the fully symmetrically wing of the QuikShot. The QuikShot has around 180 in/sq wing. Both fly very stable like on a rail. Just the Rivets is a bit more draggy than the QuikShot. Vic and the other guys can attest that 180 in/sq does real well!! Seth has a Tee Dee .051 on his QuikShot and its really FAST!! I'm currently building another to try to catch him!!![>:]

Bob Harris
Old 12-14-2008, 05:58 PM
forsakenrider

Ive been busy lately but did a bit of work on my rivets. moved the elevator tube to the center of the vertical stab. this took a whole 5 minutes! i really thought it was going to be tougher then that. HA I started covering the wing some more and got frustrated quickly... but tomorrow i will borrow a heat gun and hopefully get it all done well.

I still dont know what engine to put on it. I now have a td, 25k bigmig, or a 19500 BW. hmmm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.