Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Vapor

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:05 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vapor

A few days ago I bought one of those Etomic Vapors you see pictured here sometimes. Man, are those things well done, and do they fly great! 15 grams.. With a little practice you can crawl the thing around at 45 degrees AOA and circle around your head. I've flown it in an 8' x 14' room. And outside in the calm or 2-3mph smooth at most. An extra battery is just a few bucks and you can fly for ages swapping back and forth. You can actually almost hover the thing, it has just over 1:1 on a fresh charge! Spot landing on furniture, and circling endlessly just out of reach of the cats are good fun too.

MJD
Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Vapor

I've had one of those for a couple of months and they are indeed a blast. I recently got an E-Flite Blade MCX micro heli and it's just as fun. I sometimes take them to work when I'm on graveyard shift and fly them in the control room. Don't tell the bossman! Touch-n-goes on the conference table. Good fun.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

I've had one of those for a couple of months and they are indeed a blast. I recently got an E-Flite Blade MCX micro heli and it's just as fun. I sometimes take them to work when I'm on graveyard shift and fly them in the control room. Don't tell the bossman! Touch-n-goes on the conference table. Good fun.
My older son is dropping 25-pound hints that he wouldn't think too badly of Santa if he left an indoor chopper under the tree..

MJD
Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 AM
RocketRob

You can bind the MCX chopper to the Vapor controller or use a Spektrum transmitter.

We had an indoor session were we rented out an indoor soccer field and had vapor combat - big fun! Great carnage and no damage to any planes except one that got to close and personal with a chopper

I actually had a fly-away with my first little chopper - yeah I know ????

Few it in the urban back yard and doing a banked 360 deg circle gaining altitude and it got over the building roof next door. Over the buildings was a 4knot breeze? and the heating thermal effect of the roofs and it drifted higher and farther and well you know the rest of the story......

Indoors the chopper is extremely stable and damage resistant. once trimmed out you can put it in a hover at 5-6'agl and set the transmitter down and go get another drink. Only problem, you play with the damn thing so much the "real" planes on your building board get neglected[]

Video of 3 flying through someone's house - pretty entertaining

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10863125&postcount=494]Blade Mcx[/link]
Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

You can bind the MCX chopper to the Vapor controller or use a Spektrum transmitter.
Neat - but then we'd only be able to fly one at a time. I haven't joined the 2.4gHz world yet, no pressing need to at the moment. I bet after my 16yr old gets one of these, after a couple of days I'll be hearing that high pitched gear whine in my sleep.

MJD
Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Yuu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two of the guys in the club brought them to the meetiing, and flew them. The ones they had come with a 2.4gHz TX... or you can buy it w/o Tx and use your own. They charge off a cigarette size pack which contains 4 AA batteries. I read somewhere you should only fly half a pack, and let the batteries and motors cool. Maybe that writer was too cautious? The two little motors are 1" long and <1/4" dia. And there's a tiny gyro in there somewhere, too. The blades are counter-rotating. There is only a tail 'rudder' but it is not actuated. The lower blade does the steering, and has little bars which adjust the lower blade for forward and back, left and right. They are surely neat, and a great winter toy. OH, SANTA.....
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Tee Bee

MJD, you'll just want one of your own so go ahead and get two. Though I'm a glow-flyer at heart, the Vapor and Blade MCX have opened up new opportunities for me to have some rc fun.