Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

LA .10 any good?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LA .10 any good?

I'm getting my HOB decathelon build underway (finally!). I've narrowed my engine choices:
LA .10, Hornet .09, TT GP .07. I'm leaning twards the LA .10, but have no experience with it.
Input anyone?[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 PM
ffkiwi

Default RE: LA .10 any good?

Don't have one but their reputation is OK-for a PB, robot made cheap R/C engine-comparable to an FP10 but a bit prettier. If you want a good all round 09-10 you'd be better off with an Enya 09-either the PB or BB version. A long history, well made and with top quality materials specs-virtually impossible to wear out (which is more than can be said for the OS's). Possibly cost you a bit more than the OS though.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 11-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't run my 10LA yet but everyone I know that has one likes it. Evidently they are easy to start and run reliably but they're not hotrods. I plan to put mine in a Great Planes Electrifly Fokker D-VII bipe. Can't wait.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with ffkiwi, the Enya 09 is a very very good engine, but they take a long time to run in. I have an LA10 as well and it is a fine engine, easy to start and run from scratch, but not as powerful as the Enya.

If you can spend the time running in then the Enya would be my pick.

The AP 09 quality can be variable in my experience. The TT07, while I'm a fan of these, I wouldnt recommend for a HOB model as they can be heavy and the 07 is not long on power.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 PM
skyraider71

I've heard the Enya is hard to get, and the parts support can be spotty.
How true is this?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
flyinrog

My .OS .10 started right up like OS's do ,,short lived flight, due to a cheap stuck (up) elevator servo, 2 loops and pow, but she ran good for that short time and thats what I will be going with again..it was a simple series cub....Rog
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought an Enya .11 years ago and never could find parts for it, neither could my LHS. So it has sat useless for many years. Within the last few years I've heard that Enya is very approachable directly and has reasonable prices on parts.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the LA 15 is the same weight and more powerfull. I have the same plane and it would be a much better plane with the 15.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

ORIGINAL: skyraider71

I've heard the Enya is hard to get, and the parts support can be spotty.
How true is this?
Who told you that ? the tooth fairy In all seriousness Enya engines and parts are readily available through Randy Smith's http://www.aeroproduct.net/ and through Enya Direct http://www.enya-engine.com/store/ind...ain_page=index I deal through Enya Direct and all my purchases have been received in 3 days from ordering, Japan > Australia [sm=thumbup.gif] As for there service well I'm going through a return at the moment, had a .30 CL engine that could not hold compression and was a little down on power, so email Enya and they replied back the same day and said, just send them the engine and they will replace it pronto. Going to send it off on Monday so I'll report back when it returns.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 AM
gcb

I think the bad rep for Enya parts in the USA was due to a previous distributor. All that has changed.

George
Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I bought an Enya .11 years ago and never could find parts for it, neither could my LHS. So it has sat useless for many years. Within the last few years I've heard that Enya is very approachable directly and has reasonable prices on parts.
Is that a CX-11? I bought one years back too, because folks said they were little hotrods. I bench ran it twice so far, it's not broken but barely broken in, and I should use it. There's a Baby Birdie lying around here somewhere with the fuse converted to take it, another half-done project to finish.

MJD
Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 PM
combatpigg

MJD, I used my .11 CX in a Global BabyBirdy and it was a very nice match. One of those models that got retired with a Viking funeral because of fuel soaking. The .11CX is a total "panic" with a 5.7x3 on large 1/2A speedsters, like the ACE RC types. Otherwise, run it with 7x3s or some of the off beat sizes that APC has of equal or lesser load.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 PM
skyraider71

I ordered an LA .10 at my LHS today. I'm building the plane light, and have light radio gear for it.
I'm not looking to build a rocket, but I should get the small sporty ship I'm looking for.
BTW, I wonder how that Enya .09 would do in a Dominator 200?[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

After playing with an Enya .09, I got rid of my LA 10, & never looked back. Got about a half dozen of the .09 Enyas now. The Enya is happy with anything from a 4.75x4.75 up to the APC 9x3 "narrow prop". Just 2 drawbacks with the Enya... Weight (5 & 3/8 OZs, with muffler), and, it takes forever to get a new one "broken in". Given the choice, I'd rather buy a used, well cared for, 5 yr old Enya than a new one.

CP, You're pretty much right about prop sizes. I consider the old (pre GF3) MAS 7x4 as the absolute maximum size for that engine, Even then, it can only manage about 18,600 RPMs on the bench; a rather "high strung" engine. Right now I've got one on a Lil' Extra, & another on a Mini Super Sport. Four or five more waiting for a home. ..................... George K.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

I ordered an LA .10 at my LHS today. I'm building the plane light, and have light radio gear for it.
I'm not looking to build a rocket, but I should get the small sporty ship I'm looking for.
BTW, I wonder how that Enya .09 would do in a Dominator 200?[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Where did you find the Dominator? Would you happen to have an extra one that you'd be willing to sell??? Just my 2 cents, but I think the .09 Enya is a bit big for that ship. .............................. George K.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 PM
johnvb-RCU

In all seriousness Enya engines and parts are readily available through Randy Smith's http://www.aeroproduct.net/ and through Enya Direct http://www.enya-engine.com/store/ind...ain_page=index I deal through Enya Direct and all my purchases have been received in 3 days from ordering, Japan > Australia [sm=thumbup.gif] As for there service well I'm going through a return at the moment, had a .30 CL engine that could not hold compression and was a little down on power, so email Enya and they replied back the same day and said, just send them the engine and they will replace it pronto. Going to send it off on Monday so I'll report back when it returns.

I agree with Luna on going through Enya direct. Fantastic service and you generally deal with Ken Enya himself. Very fast to ship. Pity about the A$ exchange rate right now or one of the new .09 BB engines would be coming my way, maybe a .20 TV as well.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:43 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I purchased a House Of Balsa Decathlon for my 10 LA, since that size is considered the maximum for this kit. A 47" wingspand is long for a plane this size, so I'm sure that engine will be plenty. A friend of mine had a 10 LA on his Little Extra, and he flew that plane with authority. That OS gave him more power than the 15 sized brushless electric motor he was using previously.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-21-2008, 11:21 PM
longdan

I hear that the LA series replaced the FP series of engines, but many people still swear by the FP over the LA engines for reliability and longevity.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 AM
combatpigg

I've got somel LA series engines and have never worn any out. They all run with castor. I use the .40s for 80 mph combat and the .15s for RC combat and just fun. The .15 is a pretty hot engine for $60, it runs all day with a 8x3 at 17,000.
The .10 is 2/3rds the size and weight of the .15 and about 2/3rds the power. Their power is proportional to the .15. I've heard mixed reviews about overall satisfaction with .10 sized engines but never have heard any complaints about .15s.......

...the question is, if you could add 33% more power for only $5 and have it only cost you 2 ounces, would you do it?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:54 AM
longdan

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

...the question is, if you could add 33% more power for only $5 and have it only cost you 2 ounces, would you do it?
I guess when you apply the maths, the numbers and $ speak for themselves. While I don't own any LA engines, I do have a .10FP that runs like a champ. Another guy at the club has a .10LA that has endless deadsticks, but it seems more to do with his set up and tuning skills - or lack of. He just leans it out until it peaks then flys. Doesn't worry about the airbleed screw because he only flys at WOT.

It seems that with the LA engines, different sizes perform in different ways. Everyone has only good things to say about the .15s, but when you get up to .40 size, a hot BB .25 chinese OS clone will pull a trainer around just as well as a .40LA. A .46LA is outclassed by even the most basic modern .40 engine.

But the thread title is about the .10LA. Is it any good? I don't know. Don't have one.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:25 PM
skyraider71

ORIGINAL: mtntopgeo

Where did you find the Dominator? Would you happen to have an extra one that you'd be willing to sell??? Just my 2 cents, but I think the .09 Enya is a bit big for that ship. .............................. George K.
Sorry George, I'm looking for one too.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:32 PM
skyraider71

Combatpig makes a very good point, but I guess it all depends on what kind of performance you expecting
from the model. With the Decathelon, I'm looking for sport/trainer type performance, basic aerobatics, and
R.O.G.s from short grass while keeping it under 24 oz. I think the LA .10 will get me that.
BTW, I dug out the kit review in MAN (Oct. 2000) by Randy Randolph. His Decathelon with Norvel .061 came
out to 27oz, Yikes![:@]
Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 PM
NorfolkSouthern

The instructions on my HOB Decathlon indicate that the plane typically comes in at just about 2 pounds, Skyraider71. Still, the wing loading is light and the engine I'm sure will have plenty of power for this airframe. The manual specifically states that easing the throttle is manditory with a .10 sized engine. Trust me on this, as I have seen what a 10 LA can do on a heavier plane. As I have said before, it pulled my friend's Little Extra around with authority.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Thats wh y there is throttle's lol buy the 15 then throttle back. save money in the long run with the 15.

theHOB kit is over engineered. get rid of the bass dowls for leading edge, bass spars, get new light one piece fus sides, dont add the 1/32 ply fus stiffners, and so on. plus this thing has around 300sq" to so you could even cut a wing bay out
Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
FastBoater

The LA 10 and LA 15 are the best little engines I have ever seen, they have tons of power!!! They take my homemade fun-flys (40" and 30"Balsa build up with hanger9 transparent cover) and go straight up, I have a thunder tiger .07 that runs just like the os max LAs. with tons of power!!! They have the best idle!!! The on and off power is the best, and they are very light weight engines!!! THE BEST EVER!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.