"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Old Sterling kits anywhere?

Old 05-30-2003, 10:54 AM
robw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Old Sterling kits anywhere?

I heard at the LHS that some company was reproducing the Sterling models, U-control planes. they made some very nice scale
stuff that can easily be converted to 4+ channel R/C. anyone know anything about this?
I have a Corsair that I built several years ago, and would like to do another one. It has a 36" span and has a .09 for power. I originaly built it to carry 4 standard size servos(there is plenty of room) but the price and technology of micro servos has come so far in the past few years, using micro stuff I could probably save enough weight and use a smaller engine.

Old 06-01-2003, 03:41 AM
fredjp3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

could this be it-

http://www.hobbyworldinc.com/planes10.html
Old 06-01-2003, 01:06 PM
kdhanson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The one with the wing span listed at 30-3/4" I beleive is the Guillow's kit. It's primarily designed as a big rubber band powered plane but they describe glow power modifications in their plans. With some work it could be turned into a R/C plane.
There is a thread over on the ezone's site about electric conversions of Guillow's kits and what to watch out for (wing incidence). It's for the Guillow's Stuka but should be helpful for a Corsair conversion, since they both have bent wings!
BTW, I still have an old Sterling R/C kit of the Cosair which I never got around to building (I got 2 of the cowling plastic pieces glued together and that's it). Let me know if you're interested in it.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:36 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

KD,

If robw does not want it, I would be interested!
RCM sells plans for a small 1/2a RC Corsair BTW.
#690, $7, very similar to the Sterling one.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...ore-plans.html

Daze
Old 06-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Demon-Leather
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sterling 6-way kits...

Back in the 70's,Sterling came out with a series of scale models called the 6-way kit series. The models were accurate scale and could be built a number of different ways(back then,the guy with the best featured hype,sold the most kits) The series could be built one of 6 different ways(ergo,6-way) 1. rubber powered 2.Free flight 3. Gas(glow) or Co2 powered 4.control line 5.radio control 6. Static scale display. The spans ranged from approx.23" to nearly 40" and they had a fairly diverse range of scale subjects:
Fokker DR-1
Stinson SR8 Gullwing
Piper Super Cruiser
Curtiss Jenny
Piper Cherokee
Citabria
Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
Curtiss P-26 Peashooter
Ford Tri-Motor
B-17 Flying Fortress
P-66 Blackwidow
Diamant Sailplane
Cirrus Sailplane
The best part of the series was that full-size plans now came with full size parts. So today, You can enlarge the spans on the smaller ones(that used 1/4A power) to a respectable 36" 1/2A size. Since it was the 70's,the plans showed escapement & pulse radio equipment.Today,these can be fitted with 3-5 ch sub-micro gear.In My opinion,the best of the series was the Cherokee,which had a nice span of 37.5",.. followerd by the Citabria and Piper Cruiser,which had spans around 33.3." Nearly all the rest were 1/4A powered. I have most of the kits in the series,and if anyone was interested in trading 1/2A plan for plan I would happily oblidge. I do not however "sell" plans so please don't try to "buy" them. There are literally hundreds of old plans from the 40's,50's & 60's of "jumbo-scale" rubber jobs out there totally suitable for 1/2A micro R/C.Another "nice" feature is with the "new" engines like the Norvel,or a GP 07,or AP 09,or diesels,is You don't have to be so weight- conscious. You can sheet stringers with 1/16th balsa & sand it down a bit for the "Heavy-Metal" Warbird-look...no stringers show.The same goes for old vintage 1/A Free Flight plans.. So easilly converted,it's not funny. I have old 40's WWII "Substitute-wood" kits for big-rubber that beg for 1/2A R/C,. or should I say it.."electric" R/C. Substitute-wood means the formers were made of cardstock,and stringers & spars were basswood.. The balsa was a severely rationed War-priority,with it going directly into the REAL fighters,in the rudder & elevator tips,etc! You'd be suprised how well they fly with real,graded balsa. Unusual subjects for today as well..like a 40" Grumman TBD Avenger,or a "Devastator",Kingfisher,or P 51B Apache,XP-42,Heinkel He-112 gull-wing fighter...just the tip of the iceberg. I'm just saying,You don't have to be "boxed-in" with todays Kit manufacturers meager offerings. Arm yourself with a bit of 1/16" ply and some carbon fiber laminate,a little epoxy,and see what else is out there! So,.. You actually have to "cut" your own printwood,..No die-cut or Laser-cut,just You,an Xacto-knife and a band-aid or two.... Quite a while back I did a thread on Ezone on the step-by-step transfer of photocopied printwood directly to your graded & selected top-quality wood. I don't know if they will allow it here,but I will try to post a link,so You can see just how easy it is. Bob

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=77687
Old 08-07-2004, 01:00 AM
mmartin55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sterling 6-way kits...

I am offering rekits of all of the Sterling line of sailplanes and some of their "backyard" or "parkflier" size power planes which are suitable for electric power.

In the sailplanes we have plan sets and canopies (with CAD drawn patterns where not shown on the original) for the E7 Cirrus, E3 Diamant, Schweizer FS28 SGS 1-26D and FS26 SGS 1-34 and A27 SGS 2-32.

We have laser cut kits for the 1-26D and will soon for the 1-34 and the Cirrus.

We have plans (most include enough patterns to build) for the FS35 Mini Fledgling, the FS19 Royal Coachman, the K7 Piper Vagabond, the K1 Aeronca Champion, the FS1 Piper Tri-Pacer and are adding more all of the time.

We also have original designs of the 1-26E in 1:5 and 1:6 scale (80" 2m and 96" 2.4 meter) which are available as plans and canopies or short and long kits or ARFs with fiberglass fuselages and very high quality foam wings with obechi sheeting and all the work done and also offer an ARF of the SGS 1-36 Sprite T-tail in 111" span 2.8 meters. We are working on the 2-32 which will be out in one month at 114" or 2.9 meters and followed by the 1-23 in woodie and ARF at 130" 3.3 meters (WOW! that's my plane!).

We are also developing scale SAILPLANES in foamie for those of you who like them tough. Right now we are working on the T-tailed SGS 1-36 in a 2 meter span.

See us at www.tmrcsailplanes.com

Tom
Old 08-07-2004, 08:36 AM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sterling 6-way kits...

Tom:

Have you been contacted by Estes lately?

I wonder as there already has been several of us getting the nasty note in the mail as to reproduction of old Sterling kits. One firm based in Arizona had to bleep the entire line of their reproductions from the roster. I did the Mambo series and the FS-1 , but heavily revised the wings and the interior for more modern equipment, then got the notification. Renamed the models, and had no problems.

Seems even though Estes has not produced any of the larger Sterling kits, they still want to hold onto the rights. There have been several Hit-and-Run reproductions of the Sterling kits done over the past three years now. The reproductions also do not fly any better than when the kit was designed in the 1950's. The Jeff Coons Sterling site had been keeping track of the reproducers, but that is not reported anymore.

Wm.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:24 AM
mmartin55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Old Sterling kits anywhere?

William,

Well word is that they own the Sterling name after purchasing it from that defunct company. However no copyright or trademark was ever posted on any of their plans, instruction manuals, labels or packaging so it would be interesting to know how they would go about asserting a claim that any of those items are not in the public domain after having been marketed and sold by Sterling and countless knockoff companies for more than 30 years.

Its rather ludicrous, but an effective method to send out cease and desist letters if that is what has occurred, but unless they plan on investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in development costs that would be the least effective way to show ownership in the old product line. If they wish to gain market share in those areas, they apparently have the same obstacles to contend with as do the companies marketing the models currently which is to prove that the kits had any viability in the market in 1970 and that they still do and can compete in a market that is much more mature and in which companies like GWS and others would make mincemeat of them.

The only market that remains is for nostalgia builders who remember the models and had once built or whose dad had built and flown the old built up kits. The number of us remaining has the skills and is willing to invest the time to build in the old way is diminishing rapidly as baby boomers pass the baton to the next generations. So redesigns and re-engineering of all structures, CAD drafting of all of the patterns and assemblies, nesting all of the parts for laser cutting rather than die cutting, rewriting of all of the documentation and instructions to incorporate all of these changes, developing a new marketing plan and visual identity for the products that is current and targeted to the correct segments of the market, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

I would be glad to offer them my services in this regard and am open to employment as the product line manager for the new series of kits. Unfortunately it will require a lot of travel time and expenses to fly the product at events about 10 weekends a year, buying tradeshow booth space at about 3 to 4 big venues anually, a new web site and user group to develop market share and credibility within those markets, an office and laptop computer, hundreds of square feet of warehouse space for product, numerous trips to Asia to work with suppliers and manufacturers, at least one regional salesperson to call on distributors and retailers and about $500,000 a year in salaries and benefits plus thousands more in ancillary corporate expenses to properly register copyright, trademark and document all of these new products. The annual expenses would probably be near $1,000,000 with expected net sales to approach a total of that after about 3 years of investment.

They are apparently hedging their bet (and it is a gamble) that their is any viability in marketing the old line. It would cost the same to develop a new product line which would probably have much greater viability and return on investment.

However, its really not a big deal for those of us like yourself who are interested more in the history and nostalgia value of these old kits as you say to change the name. I think 'Sterling Silver Edition' models sounds good, don't you?

Tom
Old 08-08-2004, 06:31 PM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tom.....

About two years ago this Christmastime, some folks tried to start up a firm reproducing Veco kits. They were located in Arizona, and so happens Dumas was too. The folks contacted me as they got hit with a Cease order from the court issued by Dumas who at the time held rights to the Veco airplane line. I think MECOA holds up the glow engine line at present time.

Then got in contact with a fellow out of Northern Texas who was reproducing or making kits from old plans. It turns out they got hit by Air Age Publications, the publishers of Model Airplane News. He got a several thousand dollar fine thrown at him by a Texas court plus a Cease order.

Many of these folks reproducing kits thinking they are doing everyone a good deal, may in fact be wrong. Recently read a new book on copyrights, and I think it has been settled by the Supreme Court back in the 1970's that copyright pretty well extends indefinately now. Long as the original publisher, designer or firm is able to produce an equal copy, they still are the ones to deal with. I was lucky enough ten years ago to get permission to copy kits, but in recent times, I think this to be the exception. I know of one other firm who owns rights to an old line of kits, and they expect to prosecute vigourously any copyright infringement. My friend Bob Holman will not cut a kit from plans without the approval of the designer, and other cutters contact him for such permission also. Plans need not be labeled as having a copyright as to be considered to have one. See each of the new Cleveland plans being issued.

Wm.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:59 AM
cap10b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AAAAAWWWWWW Shucks....We never get to have any fun.

jds
Old 11-13-2004, 10:19 AM
csasopwith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all,I have got a Diamant Sailpane kit E3.It is an orignal,unstarted kit,all parts,box got some slight damage.Contact me at Russandmia@ntlworld.com
Old 11-16-2004, 12:30 AM
ubird1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I built several of the old Sterling kits including the Tri Pacerand Corsair. Sure would like to get plans for the Corsair.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:23 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! just read the RCU 'Red Ink' that's cool with me
To the topic (in sorts) over the last year or so I have collected a variety of *Comet Modeks,both the kits and plans. I don't know what or who has ank claim to the plans but the Comet kits lend themselves to a wide variety of construction methods(beefing up being an older one) the plans are marvelous very scale in outline and super light weight if built from a origional kit or for a variety of "conversions,"lend them selves to beefing up. I have the P-40,Avenger,Hellcat Taylorcraft 22' and 54' got the Aeronca Champ 54" span The Douglas Invader 30" span. The real ***bonus***with the Cometkits designed in the 1940's and 50's is the full sise plans with PRINTWOOD which means you can easily copy and build sounds great don't it I'n all over the R/C thing you all must know how that goesbut my interst both in collecting and building old Comet Models kits has became a part of my hobby re-discovered one day with the purcash of a genuinene Comet P-40 Tiger Shark 1940or early 50's production. The plan has an 18" span lends it self as do the others to enlargement and closing here with the P-40 it flys very nice and so called Micro R/C would be just the ticket and that applys to the entire line of 'Scale Flying Models.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26330.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	193545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28141.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	193546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28421.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	193547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68522.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	193548  
Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ubird1, I've got the Sterling corsair! I payed way too much for it on $bay. Maybe we can get the plans copied for you. This thing has a crazy amount of parts.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
ubird1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great! If you'll let me borow them for a day I would really appreciate it. I have well over a hundred sets of plans which you are welcome to look through an time. I'm in the book, I live off 17 down by the marsh, just past the airport road.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Gunkel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just opened my new (1963) Sterling Bonanza kit. I plan on starting the build this weekend. I plan on converting to electric 3 channel, the plans show an option for a gas cox .020 tee dee engine. The plans are very thorough, every thing seems in excellent condition, the only thing I am unsure about is the silkspan tissue covering, I am concerned about the resilience.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:36 PM
boberos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since we are on the Sterling topic, I am looking for a plan for the Sterling Wizard (FS 7). It came out around 1959 & I would like to get plans for it.

Thanks,
Bob G
Old 03-22-2005, 09:50 AM
ninjinscreed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am looking all over the web trying to find the plans to the sterling 1950's rubber band powered twin engine piper apache plane any help or a copy of the plan or even on old dusty kit would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Dave

Please e-mail any info to ninjinscreed@aol.com

Old 03-24-2005, 09:32 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see them on ebay all the time,just incase know one mentioned it.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:11 AM
rikidee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the sixties as a teenager, I built and flew a Sterling Corsair control line plane. The kit was a C-9, 36" wingspan sorta scale model. I've been looking for the plans for this model. Got any ideas?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:01 PM
NJ Georgee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only thing I can think off is when you see a sterling kit offered on Ebay under toys and hobbies then go to Radio control or just put the word kit in the search.Then when you find a sterling kit mabey the people selling it can direct you to what your looking for.
Funny though I found a site but dont know where.But the site was for all types of sterling
related items.There's a guy in Manhatten NY who has loads of this older style stuff even as far back as the 30s, Those solid blocks of wood kits amaze me in a way,that simple things like that were all they had back then.and I guess were entertaining to them.
well I realy dont know of any thing outher ebay people, for sterling kits,but if I run across somthing to help you and I can find this tread,then I will get back to you.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:10 PM
NJ Georgee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just reading back aways,I see Gunkel wants to use silk span Is this like SKYloft a very open weve material. I have a pack ofskyloft which im hesisitant to use.someone told me
that it takes lots of coatings to fill it and still comes out fuzzy looking.I want to try super fabric sold at Hobby lobby ,also on the web if you want to check it out?Have any of you used this stuff,Ive had great sucsess with most.stuff
Old 03-26-2005, 12:16 PM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

georgee......

Have you visited the Sterling Models site? It is run by Jeff Coons and is visually interesting.

http://home.mindspring.com/~jeff.coo...els/index.html

Wm.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:43 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ninjinscreed

I am looking all over the web trying to find the plans to the sterling 1950's rubber band powered twin engine piper apache plane any help or a copy of the plan or even on old dusty kit would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Dave

Please e-mail any info to ninjinscreed@aol.com

Not rubber, but twin pee wee power, from the sterling automagic series for FF or control line. GREAT kits. Just finished the Monocoupe, about to do the PT19. Not the toughest kit to find, keep searching ebay, expect to pay $50-75 for that one. Would be really neat for RC conversion.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:45 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NJ Georgee

The only thing I can think off is when you see a sterling kit offered on Ebay under toys and hobbies then go to Radio control or just put the word kit in the search.Then when you find a sterling kit mabey the people selling it can direct you to what your looking for.
Funny though I found a site but dont know where.But the site was for all types of sterling
related items.There's a guy in Manhatten NY who has loads of this older style stuff even as far back as the 30s, Those solid blocks of wood kits amaze me in a way,that simple things like that were all they had back then.and I guess were entertaining to them.
well I realy dont know of any thing outher ebay people, for sterling kits,but if I run across somthing to help you and I can find this tread,then I will get back to you.
That would be me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service