Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

I dont believe this!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

I dont believe this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:22 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I dont believe this!

Now it you buy the futaba 2.4 faast system you can buy a module to change it back to 72MHz!!! I knew I went the wrong route, what a waste of money.......[>:]....Rog
Old 11-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I dont believe this!

Do wuh? I've used Futaba 72mhz radios with great success and added a FASST 2.4 system about a year ago and it's been working great as well. I'm flying my larger planes on the 2.4 system and all the 1/2A stuff is still on 72 due to the availability of tiny, lightweight, cheap receivers.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:01 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the Futaba 8AU all I need to do is pick up the 2.4 module and receiver I am still doing the same with the small 72Mz receivers the little berg 4 Ch are good and inexpensive, should have waited before buying the Spectra 7 2.4 system martin
Old 11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
flyinrog

Well 6 channels is all I needed but thats the thing, if you had/bought a 7C you could get a module to make it 2.4..now if you buy a 7C 2.4 you can buy a module to make it 72MHz...I'm guessin because the 2.4 Rx's are too high......its a long story teebee but I got screwed changin radio channels after I bought the new 2.4 6C........Rog
Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I told you to wait till the swap meet and pick up an old 9C.[8D]
Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ewww.....buying a used radio from who knows where would be like buying used underwear at the Salvation Army [:'(]!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
flyinrog

See that thing where it says ADHD....not good at the waitin game dudette...Rog
Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 PM
vicman

Who's wearing underwear?

As cheap as those things were going for last year you could buy two of them send them off to RS for a tune up and still have beer money left over. I regret not getting an extra myself.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 PM
combatpigg

good point, but I get myself in too much trouble with a 6 channel. What does a 9 channel do, keep the flies out of your beer?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Do you have a link for this information? I regret selling my old 7UAF to a friend last year, could have used the 2.4Gz modules.

Jim
ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Now it you buy the futaba 2.4 faast system you can buy a module to change it back to 72MHz!!! I knew I went the wrong route, what a waste of money.......[>:]....Rog
Old 11-30-2008, 09:34 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

Do you have a link for this information? I regret selling my old 7UAF to a friend last year, could have used the 2.4Gz modules.

Jim
ORIGINAL: flyinrog

no link,,, July MA mag page 115, futaba ad ,,upgrade your tx and still fly your entire fleet.....Rog
Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 PM
vicman

CP, it's not the additional channels that make the radio so nice. It's the programing features and efficient display. If they had put the same features in the 7C 2.4 I would own one. They just cut too many corners.[:@]
Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 6EX when they first came out. I figured it was the cheapest way to guarantee no frequency conflicts for combat - and I wanted to test the 2.4 waters. I got it off the internet before I had seen one in person and I regretted it as soon as I picked the transmitter up. It felt like a toy. Then I learned that the 606 receivers couldn't be used with any other Futaba 2.4 transmitter. Grrr. If Hitec had offered 2.4 at that time I would have seriously considered switching loyalties.

Then, however I fell into a nice deal on a 7C and I was OK again, not 'happy' just OK. Yes, I could have converted my beloved 9C but like BobHH pointed out, that two antenna arrangement is . . . well, just an addon and it looks and feels awkward to me. And I cannot afford the 10C (which I don't like the 'feel' of anyway - the balance is off - its too bottom heavy IMHO).

Now I see that there are aftermarket companies (like BPHobbies) that sell modlues and receivers for Futaba and Hitec transmitters that are almost half the price.

The only problem I have with the 7C is that there is no accommodation for adding extra model capacity like I have with my 9C. Otherwise, it programs like the 9C and so far has provided all the mixing and switches that I would ever use.

Dang. I was so happy with my 9C that I was sure that my transmitter-swapping days were over.

So friends and neighbors, that's my 2.4 story to date. Is it over? Will there be another chapter? Stay tuned to this station for the latest developments. Meanwhile, make sure to drink your Ovaltine (and PM me your old gold jewelry).

Old 12-01-2008, 08:05 AM
vicman

Yep, model memory is huge for me. I most likely will get the 2.4 module for my 9C at some point.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Larry Driskill

Gentlemen, please decipher all the above for me.

Were I looking for a 2.4, what/which should I explore?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 AM
boberos

What am I missing here?
How do you replace the module in a 7C?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
vicman

Right now there just isn't a 2.4 radio at a reasonable price...or what I feel is reasonable, that has all the conveniences of a 9C. Like Lekky LeFlyer said the 7C has the same programing and mixes but the memory isn't there, neither is the amount of characters for naming. The 10C is a sweet piece of technology but comes with a steep price tag. The Airtronics that has been heavily publicized has the same pitfalls as the 7C. I don't know anything about the latest JR brood...but they usually cost more.

I posted earlier (prior to the underwear incident) that picking up a 9C at a swapmeet and converting to 2.4 with module is most likely the way for me. I don't think I want to swap modules back and forth with the same Tx. I know guys do it but I don't want to.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:30 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Well I have 2 6EXs and 4ea 606 receivers. I believe you can run the 606s with the 7C. I've flown them in my quickie 500 racers as well as my QuikShot 1/2A racers with no problems. I do have my 9Z on 72 with several receivers still and have had no issues with it also. The thought has crossed my mind on changing the 9Z over to 2.4 as I agree with Rog the 10C is too expensive and feels funny in your hands. Anyway the 6EX sticks are not adjustable for tension as some people like a stiffer feel. Me, the 6EXs makes for an inexpensive system that may be splattered across a race course at any given time!!

Bob Harris
Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
vicman

Ya gotta race to splatter.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 AM
rainedave

I feel bad about this. I traded my 72mhz 6EXA to rog and it ended up costing him a small fortune in hidden fees to get the crystal changed. Rog, if there's anything I can do to make that trade even out let me know. But the 6EXA is still better than the old Heli tx you were using.

I debated for a long time last year and ended up buying a new 72mhx radio because of the cost of replacing all those receivers in my planes (I saw no sense in bringing two tx's to the field so that I could fly one model on 2.4ghx and all the others on ch 39).

Rog, what tx are you currently using? How many models do you have on 2.4?

David
Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Gentlemen, with the caviat that I am very often wrong let me offer the following based on my very up front and personal 2.4 GHz experience. . .

1. The 6EX system is, as Vic and BobHH said, entry level. Six models, not much mixing, but fairly reasonable cost. No modules, no extra storage capability.

2. The 6EX system works with only one receiver (606) and according to Futaba's website, that receiver is NOT compatible with any other transmitter.

3. The 7C system has ten model memory and six-digit model names (enough for me). No extra model memory add-on capability and no removeable module (I don't know why you'd want to anyway). But it does have a lot of the 9C's programming capability and has a familiar 'feel'. And its way cheaper than the 10C.

4. I have used my 6EX in electric-powered models and one that is gas-engine-powered with no problems. Also, I've had it in my Lanzo Bomber that has gotten over 1200 feet up (I borrowed one of those altitude-reporting gizmos to prove it) with narry a glitch.

5. Vic is right as usual. I've seen him splatter - more than once.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Well, I don't want to be disrespectful but the 606 receiver can be used on the 6EX, 7C the T10C with 7ch module as well as the T14 with 7 channel module. The 6EX can run the 607 receiver which it currently comes with. Check out the transmitter/receivers reference chart at the bottom of this page: http://2.4gigahertz.com/receivers/index.html

I, like Raymond have had no issues with mine. There have been a few problems reported on these systems but I wonder if many of them could be other issues such as wiring, battery voltage, etc. I almost had an issue when one of my Hitec micro servos used on throttle took a dive in one of my racers. It heated up and slowed the system down until it died. Luckily it was on the ground when it happened. A quck field test showed the bad servo. It had only 5 flights on it. Not the 2.4 systems fault but I bet if it happened in the air I would have suspected radio issues!!!

Bob Harris
Old 12-01-2008, 04:51 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: rainedave

I feel bad about this. I traded my 72mhz 6EXA to rog and it ended up costing him a small fortune in hidden fees to get the crystal changed. Rog, if there's anything I can do to make that trade even out let me know. But the 6EXA is still better than the old Heli tx you were using.

I debated for a long time last year and ended up buying a new 72mhx radio because of the cost of replacing all those receivers in my planes (I saw no sense in bringing two tx's to the field so that I could fly one model on 2.4ghx and all the others on ch 39).

Rog, what tx are you currently using? How many models do you have on 2.4?

David
Not your fault at all RD, I got what I wanted just didnt want what I got after I got it...the 2.4 is in my Herr extra, everything else is on your tx, except my 2-3 channel stuff is still on my heli radio.....Rog
Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 PM
fritzke

Well, I just got a 7C FM/PPM TX/Rx off of the old eeebay, I hope I can change the frequency
easily? (Anyone?) I assumed it was as easy as any other Futaba Tx. If not, it may be back
up for sale very soon. All my FM receivers are on channel 48.
I still have my old original 7UAF, love that thing but having no model memory stinks.
Fritzke
Old 12-01-2008, 05:56 PM
combatpigg

Larry, I got a Spektrum DX6. It comes with a fairly small and light RX that has 2 antenna stubs that are set 90 degrees apart. The antennas are about 2 or 3 inches long. The radio has worked perfectly, but it uses a lot of battery power. The TX came with a 600 mil battery that needed charging every 15-20 minutes. I've had to shell out for a 1600 pack to make the radio more practical. The RX will require you to shoot one of the antennas out the side of the average small fuselage, which is no big deal if you're like me and carry an ice pick. If you need the flexibility of unlimited channels, then get one.....otherwise? They make the most sense for crowded club fields, combat and pylon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.