Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What does a TD 049 weigh???

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What does a TD 049 weigh???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does a TD 049 weigh???

Just wondering how many oz does a Cox TD 049 weigh?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:02 PM
kersplat

Default RE: What does a TD 049 weigh???

1.48 OZ as is. This is with the thick walled cylinder.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:26 PM
iflyg450

Thank you sir!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 PM
kersplat

No problem, Are you concerned with a nose heavy condition?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 AM
iflyg450

No, I am building a Ulmer Rc Blink and was in the air between a electric set up or my TD 049. The 049 gear comes out about the same. I think I will use the TD at 7oz auw and no throttle should make for one hell of a flight.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:52 AM
kersplat

[X(][X(][X(]This engine will make the Blink, well um.........Blink. All people will hear from you is Weeeeeeeee!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:23 PM
iflyg450

What kind of speed do you think it will pull?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

Take an extra pair of pants!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM
kersplat

ORIGINAL: Andrew

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

Take an extra pair of pants!!!

Well said and also take extra nitro pills for your heart.[X(]
Old 12-05-2008, 04:40 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I asked Joe Klause [more than once] about the liner shims and he felt their main function was to get the top of the piston set to the "blueprint" deck height [dead even with the top of the bore], this corrects the liner timing, but really isn't a "hop up"....some engines don't need it.
I experimented with various combinations on 40% fuel with combat props and never saw the need for more than a thin liner shim and single head shim. Never broke any cranks, just had ball sockets crumble with stock weight pistons above 24,000 rpm. Lightening the piston changes the whole picture, the engines will tend to just wear out uniformly without catastrophic failures.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

60 mph
Old 12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
iflyg450

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I asked Joe Klause [more than once] about the liner shims and he felt their main function was to get the top of the piston set to the "blueprint" deck height [dead even with the top of the bore], this corrects the liner timing, but really isn't a "hop up"....some engines don't need it.
I experimented with various combinations on 40% fuel with combat props and never saw the need for more than a thin liner shim and single head shim. Never broke any cranks, just had ball sockets crumble with stock weight pistons above 24,000 rpm. Lightening the piston changes the whole picture, the engines will tend to just wear out uniformly without catastrophic failures.
I have only bench ran this engine this was the first cox engine I have ever messed with it seems to run very good as it came out of the box. Mr. Combatpigg flyswater and I are working on a 25 size greased pig plane of yours. He is building it I am putting the gear in it. I plan on using a OS 25 VF-DF duted fan engine. It looks like it wil be great flier.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 PM
kersplat

It'll have real clean lines with the rear exhaust engine in it too.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
combatpigg

Q450, that's a pretty ambitious project! Especially changing the scale....I would be tempted to increase the aspect ratio [span] of the wing slightly if you're looking for speed. I always get fooled looking at full size drawings, they make stuff look bigger than in real life. This plane was "kinda fast" with a strong 1/2A engine, but not real fast. Sometimes strange things happen when you scale up, usually for the better, so you might end up with a real screamer. The rear exhaust throws in some design challenges, you don't have to run a full pipe if it comes down to that, but a pipe really takes the harsh bite out of the engine sound.
The plane has such a skinny profile, what are you using for a tank? I would use the 4 oz Tettra or Jett bubbleless type.
Are you going with a skinned foam wing? Gotta keep it thin, 8% of the cord is considered about right.
Have fun and good luck!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 PM
combatpigg

Q450, when Flyswatter is done with your's, could you ask him when he's gonna start on mine? I'll supply the engines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52758.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1084510  
Old 12-05-2008, 10:48 PM
iflyg450

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Q450, that's a pretty ambitious project! Especially changing the scale....I would be tempted to increase the aspect ratio [span] of the wing slightly if you're looking for speed. I always get fooled looking at full size drawings, they make stuff look bigger than in real life. This plane was "kinda fast" with a strong 1/2A engine, but not real fast. Sometimes strange things happen when you scale up, usually for the better, so you might end up with a real screamer. The rear exhaust throws in some design challenges, you don't have to run a full pipe if it comes down to that, but a pipe really takes the harsh bite out of the engine sound.
The plane has such a skinny profile, what are you using for a tank? I would use the 4 oz Tettra or Jett bubbleless type.
Are you going with a skinned foam wing? Gotta keep it thin, 8% of the cord is considered about right.
Have fun and good luck!
He is the engineer I am just the dumb pilot! Will use a tettra tank, I ran the engine on my test stand turning a 7x6 and 19K. I think he is planning on putting pipe through the canopy section. Flyswatter is a truly great guy he has helped me on so many projects as I progress in the hobby. Just finished my blink total about 40min just need to cover and get the gear in it.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 PM
combatpigg

You're very lucky to have a guy like him to "show you the ropes". Have you met Ptulmer yet?

I have never run a VRDF .25, but 19,000 with a 7x6 sounds like what some .15s can do. I don't have a clue what to expect from this engine, but it sounds kind of low. If the engine has a stack of head shims in it for running 60% nitro and you're running it on sport fuel, that might explain why the .25 is running like it's got a piano on it's back?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:15 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I remember with the VRDF's, when mounted in a ducted fan with the shroud, I believe they where turning in the mid to upper 20's. I do remember the break in procedure was to use a prop on a test stand before mounting into the fan. The VRDF will get a good boost if you can set up a tuned pipe with it which is the way it was intended to be run with the fan.

Hogflyer
Old 12-06-2008, 10:22 AM
iflyg450

it has the pipe. I am sure I can get more power out of it. I found a post were somone found the right prop and got it to turn 24K wich is were OS says it will make 1.2hp just can't find the post
Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 AM
combatpigg

24,000 sounds like a good target rpm. A 7x6 sounds like just about the right prop. Small tuned engines are very picky about load, so you might find that thinning the blades or shortening the blades just a little bit allows the engine to get on the pipe. There are most likely guys in the Speed Forum who are very familiar with this engine. If the header hasn't been already shortened too far for fan use...at it's original length, then you'll need to spend time with a tach, fine tooth hacksaw and target prop to find that explosive jump in rpm. If you shorten the header and the readings gets worse, then the system is already too short or the pipe is too small. Along the way, glow plug life will tell you when it's time to add head shims.
It wont do any good to tune the engine with an unrealistically small prop for the plane. There are free prop thrust calculators online to help you "keep it real". I wouldn't think that going very much below 7 inches is a good idea, the calculators will help predict those results. The pipe tune is pretty "prop specific", so 7x6 sounds pretty reasonable as a max load not to exceed during testing.