Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Solite, Solarfilm Lite, Nelson Lite Film

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Solite, Solarfilm Lite, Nelson Lite Film

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:36 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Solite, Solarfilm Lite, Nelson Lite Film

Has anyone used these films with glow?
Rumor has it they are all the same but rebadged.
I used Solite on a diesel model and while it didn't turn into a gooey mess the diesel lifted the seams and made re-tacking difficult and eventually soaked into the framework.

The manufacturers website says "not recommended for Diesel or Petrol (gasoline) powered models" so I think I'm ok.

Maybe I just need to use Raymond's Orgasmic Amish brew?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:34 AM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Solite, Solarfilm Lite, Nelson Lite Film

I believe these are all the same, just re-labelled for different distributors.

Just as;
Oracover = ultracoat.
Solarfilm = areospan.
Worldtex = solartex.

My question is:
Monocote uses a polyester (mylar) film.
What film do all the low temp. films use?

Bob
Old 12-12-2008, 06:06 PM
RocketRob

Yep and it will be high nitro baby....

Anyone know????
Old 12-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo Rocky,

Funny you should mention your need for covering products, for as luck would have it the Amish developed a product to wrap up their Amazing Amish Glow Fuel with. It should come as no surprise that unscrupulous other-world people took advantage of the marketing potential of said product and before you could say, "thou hast pilfered mine own idea, verily thou stinketh" companies were selling laminating film.

If one takes the time to iron down the edges that are closest to the source of burnt Amazing Amish Glow Fuel, the stuff does pretty good. Although nothing I've tried holds up very well to diesel fuel, if you sticketh to the Amish potion thou shouldst be OKeth.

All those other products are just to expensive for me - and I can barter a few hours of my time in the pillory (sp?) for fuel and covering material. Verily.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:44 AM
digital_trucker

I've used Nelson LiteFab (that's the fabric, not the film). It's wonderful stuff. I never had any problems with it lifting, but of course it was painted well. It is a tad on the heavy side, though. It wouldn't surprise me if those products would tend to lift without having the edges sealed. I had a 1/4 scale Cub I covered with Coverite 21st Century fabric and it lifted on the edges. Way back in the day I used some Black Baron film and had that lift too. Up until recently I always had good adhesion with Monokote, but my Ultra Sport 60 I covered last year with it refused to stay stuck down...and Monokote just doesn't seem to shrink as well these days either. My next attempt is going to be plain ol' dress lining from the fabric store applied with Balsarite and painted after. I found the lightest tight-weaved dress lining I could get and compared it to Nelson LiteFab (which is essentially 'natural' Solartex). It appears to be the same basic fabric, but much much lighter. I can only conclude that having a solid layer of adhesive pre-applied to the fabric is the cause of the excessive weight (nearly double plain fabric!). Results to follow...eventually.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 AM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does the lightest tight-weaved dress lining in the virgi state weigh in at?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:39 PM
RocketRob

Skaliwag - don't you have your priority's confused?
Shouldn't you be wondering what is in the tight *****ed dress in the virgi state?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:38 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob ... If it wasn't in certain peramiters in the "Visual" Gross Weight Moment Table (Aerobatic or Utility) I don't care what the covering is made from.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:15 PM
AndyW

The issue isn't the film, it's the adhesive they use. MonoKote uses a clear film and the adhesive is the colour. MonoKote is THE most fuel proof covering of all, for ANY fuel. Other films are themselves coloured and they use a clear adhesive. These aren't as fuel proof, even against high nitro. Some of that depends on how much raw fuel your engine spits out. All films are proof against oily EXHAUST but as we're running two strokes, a percentage of raw fuel goes out the exhaust and eats away at the adhesive. This effect seems to be worse for diesel fuel for some reason.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Have you considered Microlite? I will use it again and have had good sucess with it and 1/2a fuels. Only issue is small sticks can poke through during landings, but it patches quite well.

Or are you looking for somthing other than?
Old 12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Tee Bee

I've used the Coverite Microlite on a couple of 1/8 A planes with TD .010s running 25% fuel and so far it's sticking pretty good even though it's intended for lecky planes. Like Remby said, it's pretty thin and fragile(almost like Saran wrap) but works ok on tiny planes.