Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Any OS .15FP Pealing Cylinder Liners

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Any OS .15FP Pealing Cylinder Liners

Old 01-04-2009, 07:12 PM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any OS .15FP Pealing Cylinder Liners

With the past problems O.S. had with their nickle plating pealing off the cylinders and destroying the engine, primarily the .46 and .61 RF, SF and FX series of engines, has anyone experienced this with the 15FP?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Any OS .15FP Pealing Cylinder Liners

Not me and I have had a number of them for combat and pylon racing. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had no problems with my 4 OS FP.15's, all C/L engines, I love 'em, I just keep Ebaying more of them. Great little engines. Are you using straight castor oil???.............John
Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM
rcuser004

I have had a .46FX and .61RF peal. I was just asking as I have two brand new .15FPs I want to sell. Both are brand new, one new in box, the other, also brand new, but started on my bench, but no box. I want $45.00 for the NIB and $40.00 for the other one, or $80.00 for both.

Mike
Old 01-08-2009, 01:07 PM
kersplat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of one instance here in Canada. When these were first introduced, a flying buddy of mine bought one. I couldn't believe the performance boost over the old iron piston one. He ran it on (the then known Cruel Power) the cool power of now is an excellent fuel compared to the first generation. Anyways, using this early fuel, the liner experienced the dreaded peeling.[:@]He then found out he shouldn't have strayed from using a fuel with castor oil in his ABN engines.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I thought they peeled because they used nickel instead of cromium in their "ABC"....

Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
kersplat

Actually the club I used to belong to ahd 3 members with OS .61's (ABN)with Tuned pipes as well, with this problem. They all used the earlier blend of "Cruel power". The engines ran well to a point until the plug element got nickle on it and the engine wouldn't run anymore. When these engines were dissassembled, they revealed a real ugly series of "Brass colored" vertical grooves you could barely catch a nail on. This fuel with synthetic oil in it was never ordered anymore, they swithced to Omega with castor. No more problems.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
rcuser004

The problem was not the fuel even though OS refuses to admit poor plating/manufacturing as the cause. I had a brand new .61RF that began peeling at one gallon of fuel usage. I always used Powermaster 15% x 18% "blended" oil. I ordered a new OS piston/cylinder from Tower and the quality was pathetic. You could literally see through the thin nickle plating so I returned it and bought a "true" ABC setup
from Performance Specialties. I ran another 5 gallons of fuel though that engine before selling the plane and there wasn't the slightest
amount of wear shown on it.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:28 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never had a liner peel, but I have had problems with cool power. I used to run Omega but the pink dye would stain my planes so I quit using that as well.
Cool power must have improved otherwise it would not be so popular. I prefer Powermaster, Sig, or Magnum fuel. I know I get good oil with these products.
Cool power 30% heli seems to be the most popular which I find surprising.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:02 AM
kersplat

These same engines that were damaged with 1rst gen Cool Power, after being rebuilt were never damaged again when the fliers switched to Omega.