Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A UFO Plans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM
centurikid81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A UFO Plans?

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new here but the guys in this forum seemed to be the ones to ask so here it goes .

A friend of mine who is helping me enter the 1/2A world was talking today about some plans he send for in the 60s/70s that had you build a ufo out of tack board and power the thing with a cox .049. He can no longer find the plans, but would like to find them again to see if they work.

Has anyone seen plans for such a creature? if so, let me know where I can obtain a copy...my friend has been really helpful and I would love to do something nice for him. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A UFO Plans?

Was this a plan for a control line plane or radio control?
I realize you may not have much to go on for information but Any other info could help us help you.
Most tack boards are made from cork or a composite with a cork face.

The Osborn platter comes to mind and is made from Coroplast. Still I think this is not what you are asking about.

Robert
Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 PM
icerinkdad

I have a suggestion. Go to your local craft store and look for coroplast cut into circles about 14 or 15 inches in diameter in the cake decoration area. Coroplast is a plastic material that is naturally fuel proof and if you look at the RC SPAD (Simple Plastic Airplane Design) web sites they have easy direction in how to hinge the elevator. Depending on what engine you want to use either use a nylon cutting board for the "fuselage" with a cut out for a beam mounted engine or a similar size piece and a motor mount from Brodak to mount a Cox engine. Also take a look at the Manwin coroplast c/l trainer (it is on a Canadian web site but I do not remember the address) for ideas on things like lead out guides.
Just dont make it too big as anything much bigger than this would get too heavy for a Cox engine (unless you want to really scale it up and use a .10 or .15 size engine). If you are using a low power sport engine like an OK 049 limit yourself to about a 12 inch diameter.
Have fun,
Bob Furr

PS Look for the "Platter" control line trainer on the web too... very close to what you want as it combines a saucer shape with a delta... and flys cool too.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 AM
centurikid81

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. From his description, this was a free flight, a lot like the .049 Cox saucers I remember seeing at the hobby shop as a kid. The Chloroplast sounds like a great idea, I'll have to look for that next time I'm at the craft store. I'm guessing cardboard and castor oil would make for a very soggy ufo
Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Cox Flying Saucer many years ago. Flew it many times. It was made of foam and cardstock paper with a plastic engine mount. Flew pretty good. Haven't seen one in a long time.

There's a pic of it on this page: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...n%26ie%3DUTF-8
Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 AM
build light

Get him to describe it again just for grins and giggles.
The free flight does help.

Robert
Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think we got apples and oranges goin on here , was the ufo the name of a plane plan??...or it actually looked like one..Icerinkdad is talking about a pizza box flyer,,Dickeybird built one called Cornbread I think, you could try a search for it...Rog
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: centurikid81
...Thanks for the replies. From his description, this was a free flight, a lot like the .049 Cox saucers I remember seeing at the hobby shop as a kid. The Chloroplast sounds like a great idea, I'll have to look for that next time I'm at the craft store. I'm guessing cardboard and castor oil would make for a very soggy ufo
Actually, I believe the Osborne Platter was originally done in cardboard. It had masking tape around the edges to seal it, then painted. Worked fine. THEN coroplast was discovered by modelers.

From your description, I think you may be referring to one of the many Roy Clough, Jr. designs.

George
Old 01-06-2009, 10:25 AM
MJD

Or maybe he means a 1/2A Bridi UFO made from foam...?

Doubt tha
Old 01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
MJD

Or maybe he means a 1/2A Bridi UFO made from foam...?

I did notice that my saucer in that collection, apparently what I have is a Star Cruiser. It is not new, I intend to bolt an engine to it and give it a go when it warms up.

MJD
Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 PM
centurikid81

Wow when I posted this I had no idea so many would respond! Thanks for all the info/discussion; I have some good ideas to take to my friend. If we manage to create something that flies, I'll be sure to post it here.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 PM
kersplat

I had one of these in the 70's (the styrene plastic one) it was a hoot. The secret is to set the engine 1/2 a turn from lean. The engine really unloads when the saucer gete spinning. I had mine up to 120 feet when the engine quit. ( I used a sextant thingy) to determine height. The saucer autorotates when the engine quits. It helps if the unit is really high to achieve this.