"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

S.M.A.L.L. Fun Fly

Old 06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
skaliwag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: S.M.A.L.L. Fun Fly

Will someone be taking a DNU to SMALL
Old 06-01-2009, 02:58 PM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chris of Aerial-Locomotion Announced elswhere that he would be at S.M.A.L.L. with all the prototypes plus a couple of built samples for sale.

Robert
Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
av8rsodt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tee Bee - Looking forward to meeting you at SMALL. You will get a kick out of meeting everyone as well as some fantastic models (no, not women).

Thomas B / Steve S - Can't wait to see the video. The two times Ihave attended Ihave heard aboutnumerous great models from the past. Steve - Ican bring some chairs, but do not have a canopy.... so maybe Ishare one of yours.

This Thursday I will be stopping in Birmingham, ALto pick up Joe Wagner and then make the rest of the driveto Little Rock, AR. Yes, long drive from her (NC), but worth it. Also taking my 8yr old (Nathan) and hopefully Rainedav, i.e.Mr. Sure Shark.

Anyone heard if Tom Anderson will make it this year?

Brian
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM
LittleRock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tom Anderson will not make it this year. Health problems are keeping him down.

Someone needs to video this one. It's been a while.

Lots of input from folks across the country planning on attending. Seems there will be more glow and diesel this year. Milton Dickey and Eric Clutton will be in attendance. Eddie Williams (first CD of the Dallas event) will be there.

Bring lots of stuff to fly, sell, trade and whatever.

Steve Staples

Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My 19yr old son has decided to go to SMALL with me and I'm glad but now that I'm trying to pack the car, I'm not sure I can fit everything I planned to bring along with him and his stuff. I thought the Grand Marquis would hold it all with no problem. My truck is all set up for hauling RC planes but I don't trust it enough to take it on a long trip right now. I did manage to get my shade canopy in there if anyone needs to use it with me. Leaving tomorrow. See y'all there.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: LittleRock
....Milton Dickey and Eric Clutton will be in attendance.
Started to say I'll be there "Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise"as my pappy used to say but more accurately it should be: "Castor mung gets dissolved and the batteries come up." It's amazing what that wonderful castor oil elixir turns to when left unattended for a couple years. Ifinally started prepping most of the fleet this evening andwhata pain! Ican understand how the weakerfolks are lured to the world of electrons. Lazy sods!

Man, I'm so sorry to hear about ol' Tom from Buzzard Bluff. Iwas looking forward to his charm & wit. He's one of the good guys and Iwish him the best.

Milton (Beginning to get a little excited now. )
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
DeviousDave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys, it is with a heavy heart I an going to have to withdraw from SMALL. I tried all week to make it happen, it's just too much on my plate. After consulting with Rocket Rob and Gkamysz, I slept on it and made my decision.

I have been up until 2 or 3am for the last three nights working on an airplane and getting the others ready. I test flew last night and after crash repairs from a bad launch (too much power on takeoff, got it to fly well. But, it's too fast and has a flutter problem if I hold the power on for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Managing the airspeed is not a problem, but I don't feel comfortable flying it around people (There Rob, I said it!) especially without having AMA to back up my homeowners policy. I used to make money at this, so my insurance might not be any good if they tried to fight it. The airplane goes like hell though, the flutter starts at about 140 or so and accelerates like a cartoon airplane! It flew a long time at half throttle flying at sane speeds like a hotliner doing the vertical climb/Dive routine.

I kept running into problems getting these airplanes ready with missing equipment (had a burglary) that I didn't know I was missing yet, RX packs that didn't want to take a charge, test flight went poorly, and knowing now about the GM bankruptcy I just don't think it's a good idea to go this year. My work was tied to GM and there was a good chance I would go back at the end of the summer. I put $3-400 this week into getting airplanes built and ready and along with the money the trip is going to take I can see myself needing that money down the road-work is really hard to find right now.

I didn't make this decision lightly, and hope to get down there next year. Go easy on me guys..[]
Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 PM
daleflysrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to hear it Dave !! Weather broke this afternoon and the wind layed down to almost nothing !!
Sun came out and made for some excellent photo hoops !! Already around 30 pilots and it hasnt even started yet !! Hope to see you next year !! Dale Womack SMALL CD
Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 PM
2fast4u

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, looks like the weather will be about the best it has ever been for a SMALL event. Today was cool and calm, the weekend looks to be clear and warm.

I can't be there (20 miles from the house) this year due to other promissed events. :-(

I hope everyone has a great time. POST LOTS OF PICS.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Thomas B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The pre-event Thursday flying was really great today...cool and cloudy and a bit breezy in the AM, but really nice as of early afternoon!

Were at least 10-12 people there a day early...hopefully that means a great turnout!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is the most fun I've ever had at an RC event. The weather is beautiful. The variety of aircraft being flown is astonishing. The people are some of the best I've met in a long time. The atmosphere at SMALL is very relaxed and everyone seems genuinely interested in others' projects. Many folks here have gone out of there way to make sure my son and me had a good time. I've been fortunate to meet some real legends this weekend. It's the first time I've felt a warm welcome at a club field when I showed up with a bunch of 1/2A planes. Not only that, but these guys will actually gather around just to watch you start a reed-valve .049! I brought a couple of planes that were designed by the late Randy Randolph, and though I never got to meet him, it opened up the door for others to share there stories about him with me. The indoor fly-in was also fun. Lots of neat micro stuff was flown. After the indoor event, Ralph Barnette(of radial Cox engine fame), Steve "skaliwag" Adams, my son, and I went on a wild goose chase looking for barbeque that wasn't to be. Good times and lots of stories shared. And it's only Saturday morning! Can't wait to get back out to the field for more adventures today.

DD, I understand your dilemna. I was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe another time.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Saturday was just as nice. Met so many people and I feel bad that I can't remember all their names. Dickeybird made it here andforcedme fly his Quick Stik 010. I really appreciated it, Milton. You should see him fly square loops with that thing at LOW altitude. At least5 TD .010 planes were flown today including skaliwag's tiny Eindecker and my fiesty little El Pongito. The early morning crew was hard at work simultaneously flying 3 Pee Wee .020 freeflight helis when we showed up today. All my Cox engines ran great for once and allowed for some fun flying all day. Av8rsodt(Brian) didn't bring any flyable models so I put himto work flying my Black Widow powered Pong Two. I noticed him flying Dickeybird's and Little Rock's planes as well. Hmm. Bet he didn't get glow fuel all over him either. Maybe next year I won't bother to actually bring stuff to fly. :-) Dickeybird's TD .049 powered twin autogyro was a real treat to watch. Thanks for bringing it. I guess we'll head back out there in the morning to fly my lecky one more time, say goodbyes to those that are still here, and hit the road back to south TX. I enjoyed it immensely, fellas.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:36 PM
mylamo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tee Bee even though you are seven hours Northeast of the real South Texas
I feel we were well represented by your appearance. Wish I could have been
there.
Ralph
Old 06-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Thomas B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is an unusually great SMALL, for sure....I took a break from the care and feeding of a large number of electric models today and actually flew my TD .020 Wedge sport model a couple times....

Great weather, great folks and a very good time.

Richard Ng and Iflew 9:30 AMtill dark on Thursday, 8:15 till 7:45PMon Friday and 8:00 until dark (9 ish) today, Saturday.....
Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorting out an air leak on Friday.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63288.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1213169  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Recognize any of these characters?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Om32563.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1213171  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How 'bout a 4 cylinder radial with Cox cylinders? One of Ralph Barnette's creations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pm34645.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1213173  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Das Not Ugly at all
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Us54446.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1213174  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dickeybird hard at work. I really enjoyed the twin gyro. His throttled TD .049 setup works great. Nice guy, too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pm34752.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1213175  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

skaliwag and yours truly posing with one of my favorite planes. Nice to finally meet ya, Steve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Us55043.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1213180  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These guys were a hoot. Always flying, always joking, always lending helping hands. Here they're attempting to get 3 Pee Wee copters running at the same time. I learned that even the little .020 will cut you by watching these guys. The attempts to get one of these to thermal were in vain but the entertainment value was high. That's the legendary Joe Wagner watching with a critical eye. Can you imagine what he's thinking?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Db83639.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1213183  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Randy Randolph designed the Pong Two and I'm really glad I brought both of mine to the fly-in. These planes opened the door to several great conversations with his old friends. My son Nick is now able to fly it without assistance as of this weekend. This one with the .09 does really neat rudder-only rolls. It was the loudest of the small planes and every time I flew it I would wake up the guy who was napping in the pits next to us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ki18330.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1213190  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dickeybird has built some beautiful stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ki20327.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1213195  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

skaliwag's .010 Eindecker-ish plane. I can't pronounce or spell it's real name. :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ig13203.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1213196  
Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Tee Bee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thomas B. He worked like a mad scientist all weekend prepping and flying about 300 planes. He flew his TD.020 Wedge that was flown at the original SMALL 19 years ago. It was fun to watch the otherguys gather around and joke as he flew.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ec87515.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1213237  

Search this Thread