Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Miro Low Stick

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miro Low Stick

Had some spare time this weekend while waiting for epoxy to dry on my 1/4 scale project. I will soon have a functional TeeDee .020 and just had to have something special to fly it in. Here is what I am working on right now in addition to the GeeBee and other projects. This plane will have a 22" span and elevator, rudder and ailerons. Yellow with black graphics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26272.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1119630  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Miro Low Stick

a low wing wee stick?! cool...
Old 01-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Jeb,

I have a MLS from Radical R/C too. So does one of my Old Flying Buddies. Mine is powered with a ten-gram motor from Hong Kong on two li-pos swinging a mighty 7x4 prop. My OFB's setup is similar. I have 1 1/4-inch wheels on mine and it will take off from close-cropped grass maybe 75% of the time. His has smaller wheels and is hand-launched.

Both of them "bobble" the same way coming down the backside of a loop. That is, its like the elevator twitches - stalls a little in turbulence or something. Pushrod is firm, played with CG but no change. Radical R/C's response to my question about it was - well, condescending.

My OFB and I decided that if we had it to do over again we'd make the tail moment longer. I also have their biplane kit and the only thing that kept me from replacing the MLS with it was that response. But someday I surely will build it because even though his kits are over-engineered, they are a joy to assemble.

FWIW, I would expect a TD .020 would make it a handful. But I would love the hear if yours "bobbles" like ours.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 PM
bps

I wonder if your flying through your own wake turbulance. I used to fly aerobatics in a Super Decathalon and it was an absolute blast to do a loop or tight turn and fly through my own turbulance. First few times I experienced it realy got my attention! I would also be interested in the wing area, length and tail area of the MLS you fly. This one is strictly my idea of what should fly about right. I think the GeeBee will be more of a challenge. The electric one I have flown was. This GB will be profile and light as possible, but I still expect a wild ride. We will find out how both fly come spring. We have a nasty thing that lasts about 6 months in this part of the country called winter. Someones poor idea of a joke!

Name:	Mk25851.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1119636  
Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

BPS,

I just glanced at your drawing as I thought it was the Micro Low Stick from Radical R/C. Ours are straight stock from the kit and yes, I agree that turbulence is the likely culprit. That's why we speculated that extending the tail moment would help. I also thought about just extending the elevator span to get it away from the wake of the 7-inch prop. That's why I was interested in how yours would do with the smaller .020 propwash.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 PM
bps

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

BPS,

I just glanced at your drawing as I thought it was the Micro Low Stick from Radical R/C. Ours are straight stock from the kit and yes, I agree that turbulence is the likely culprit. That's why we speculated that extending the tail moment would help. I also thought about just extending the elevator span to get it away from the wake of the 7-inch prop. That's why I was interested in how yours would do with the smaller .020 propwash.
The other thing you might try if you have computer radios, dial in a lot of expo. You might also reflex the ailerons a bit. I would be interested in hearing if and how this would affect the plane.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

I haven't tried aileron reflex on this model. I'll give it a try next time out - which might be a while dagnabit.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 AM
bps

Yes were getting a dagnabit this week with temps below freezing for highs and snow on the way
Old 01-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Half-A-Hec

Here is a pic of my lowstick I built a couple of years ago. It flew great. Then I tried to fly it indoors and that was the end of that plane. I salvaged the wing and created a new fuselage and we renamed "Re-V-Amped. Good luck with the TD .020. My low stick could go vertical with the set up I had.

Hec

Name:	Vt57221.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1119976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25926.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1119977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78503.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1119978  
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Hec,

I recall that you generously shared your LowStick with me a while back - and I wimped out and built a kit (that has a small behavior problem). See, I should have listened to you.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Half-A-Hec

Raymond,

See how ya are! You really should build it. The plane tracked like it was on rails. It was way too fast to fly in an indoor soccer stadium. I just had a bad case of cabin fever that winter and had the flying itch. [:@] Let me know if you need the dwgs again.

Hec
Old 01-30-2009, 04:26 PM
bps

I have made some progress. The plans are finished for the most part and the parts are laser cut on my 24x36" 60 watt laser, (should have taken pictures of cutting the parts). Ya just gotta love those lasers! For such a small plane these plans have taken a lot of work! This is a true scratch built as I started with a blank sheet of paper or should I say blank computer screen.

I have assembled a kit and looks like I have just about everything to start construction. The receiver(JR 6300) and batteries (7.4 volt LiPo 480mah with a voltage regulator) will be removed from another plane to complete this project. Just happend to have two new HS55 hitec servos which should work just fine. Elevator, aileron and no throttle with rudder being sacrificed in the weight control department. Looks like covering will be yellow heat shrink cellophane held in place with aerosol applied glue. Graphics will be 2ml cast black adhesive vinyl.

Any one know of a site where I might download a line drawing of the Cox .020? Would make the plans look so professional! Here are some pictures of the parts needed to build this tiny beast. I want to make sure I have this ready to fly when (and if) this 12.5" of snow ever melts![:@]

Any interest in a build thread and I would be happy to document the construction and test flying. I am sure there will be bumps in the road, read parts drawn that looked good going in but just do not fit the way I thought they would! UGH!!!

Name:	Rp43487.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1123305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35806.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1123306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48067.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1123307  
Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'd like to see your crummy build thread even though I don't care for little yellow and black Stik-type planes.

Name:	Sq45937.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1123510  
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Tee Bee

I'm envious of that nice little TD .020 in the box. I've been trying to find a decent deal on one for quite a while without any luck(The #bay prices are too high for me). I've got lots of Cox engines but have never owned or flown a TD .020.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Half-A-Hec

I aint envious about that stinkin little TD .020. I AM ENVIOUS ABOUT THE LASER CUTTER HE OWNS![X(] I tell ya what, I'll trade ya 10 new in the box TD.020's for the laser cutter! Do we have a deal?

Hec
Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Tee Bee

If I only hads me a laser cutter. [X(]
Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hec... You have TEN NEW IN THE BOX TD .020's? Are you a Banker?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A laser cutter would be so sweet! (sniff...)

Robert
Old 01-31-2009, 12:08 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys might just ask him to cut a kit for you....he's a good guy...Rog
Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Mr. Mugen

http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-LASER-ENGRAV...3A1%7C294%3A50

How many kits would a guy have to cut to make this thing pay for itself? Would be a fun toy for sure....my mill and lathe can't do anything that kool! Watch the video's....wow is it fast!

Kevin
Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

BPS,

Where did you get a voltage regulator small enough to be practical for your project?

I have sworn off Nimhs because I've had too many die of old age (OK maybe neglect too). Nicds are some better but heavy for small projects. I'm slowly trying to gravitate to Li-pos and A123s for receiver/servo power.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:10 AM
bps

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

I guess I'd like to see your crummy build thread even though I don't care for little yellow and black Stik-type planes.
nice! Is that a .010 or .020?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:13 AM
bps

ORIGINAL: Half-A-Hec

I aint envious about that stinkin little TD .020. I AM ENVIOUS ABOUT THE LASER CUTTER HE OWNS![X(] I tell ya what, I'll trade ya 10 new in the box TD.020's for the laser cutter! Do we have a deal?

Hec
Throw in an additional $10k or a guaranteed government bailout and you got a deal!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 AM
bps

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

BPS,

Where did you get a voltage regulator small enough to be practical for your project?

I have sworn off Nimhs because I've had too many die of old age (OK maybe neglect too). Nicds are some better but heavy for small projects. I'm slowly trying to gravitate to Li-pos and A123s for receiver/servo power.
I just use a Pixi 7 5 amp speed controler for brushed motors. Now that brushless motors are the craze with electric planes these things are cheap enough and they weigh almost nothing.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:37 AM
bps

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-LASER-ENGRAV...3A1%7C294%3A50

How many kits would a guy have to cut to make this thing pay for itself? Would be a fun toy for sure....my mill and lathe can't do anything that kool! Watch the video's....wow is it fast!

Kevin
Hope this is not a double post my system keeps crashing, I think it is a RCU problem.

Anyway here is my thought. I purchased the laser to do work for a specific customer which the economy has let into the tank or should I say sewer?[:@]

Lasers are a great tool, but expensive to keep in operating order. A kit that seels for $35 minus plans, wood, wire, box....well maybe ya would net $5. A kit manufacturer would be in a better position to asses this. Bottom line is you will not get rich! Any one have some great ideas for laser use, I'll listen.

And yes lasers will cut with speed and acuricy. Repeated cuts are a joy. I cut this kit in a few minutes but needed hours of prep time on the computer. I also have a 1/4 Bede 8 that I am building that is laser cut on this machine as well. The plans were not very acurate and needed a lot of clean up before cutting. This is where your laser tech earns his or her keep. Just scan the plan in is just not good enough for a great cut in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.