"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

begin Skampy superlite redesign-build

Old 02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default begin Skampy superlite redesign-build

Ok, I have began the Redesign and build of an old favorite..the Ace Skampy .. originally designed by Owen Kampen and kitted by Ace. Was in the Dec 67 issue of RCM

There were several people who built it, some had good results, some , like me , noticed it flew OK (mine was heavy and snapped a lot and glided like a brick) but something was wrong.

There is another thread somewhere that a couple people are starting one. I decided to "fix" the problems an one of them is weight (all the sheet balsa) and the other seems to be the high angle of wing incidence and stab negative incidence. This was acceptible for Rudder only as it kept a positive inciudence needed to make turns without an elevator as in rudder only flying.Only problem I see is it created a sortof controlled "mush" on deasdstick as there was no throttle on the .020.. added to the weight, caused a snap easily. This one I am using rudder and elev (will cut them in later) a screaming .010 TD and maybe in the future convert to electric and throttle. Radio weight should be close to original actuator, reciever and batts but will have more channels. I have reduced the wing incidence to about 1/5 and the stab incidence to nearly zero.

This should cure the mush tendency as well as make it more of a floater as the all up weight is going to be less than 1/2 and maybe closer to 1/3 the original.

I am uploading the picts,You more experienced old timers will be able to easily figure it out from the pics. I will do a separate thread on the dowel edging later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78143.gif
Views:	12
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1141578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19069.gif
Views:	17
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1141579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56573.gif
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1141580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq43847.gif
Views:	14
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1141581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50167.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1141582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fv25992.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1141583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj87158.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1141584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wv74024.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1141585  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wv32901.jpg
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1141586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co70086.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1141587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp69317.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1141588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd22913.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1141589  
Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 AM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: begin Skampy superlite redesign-build

SWEET! You dyed your balsawood a funky pink color!

If you really wanted a lighter version I'd suggest built up like a rubber model and then covered with doped jap tissue. But that's likely the free flighter in me coming out....

It'll be interesting to see how it ends up for weight. I strongly suspect that although you wanted it to be lighter that it'll be not far off the original weight, whatever that was, by the time you cover the foam parts with something to make them as strong as the original wood version.

And yes, you're right about the strong angular difference between the wing and tail being due to the rudder only flying it was intended for originally. You did the right thing by removing much of that.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

SWEET! You dyed your balsawood a funky pink color!

If you really wanted a lighter version I'd suggest built up like a rubber model and then covered with doped jap tissue. But that's likely the free flighter in me coming out....

It'll be interesting to see how it ends up for weight. I strongly suspect that although you wanted it to be lighter that it'll be not far off the original weight, whatever that was, by the time you cover the foam parts with something to make them as strong as the original wood version.

And yes, you're right about the strong angular difference between the wing and tail being due to the rudder only flying it was intended for originally. You did the right thing by removing much of that.

Lol, I though of building it that way too... but I have now built several builds and this style actually comes out much lighter. Last night I had it to point I had an allup weight and it ran 1.8 OZ completely assembled with engine cowl and everything but the cowl cheeks.... The original was listed 8 OZ with finish. I will see what the finished plane will be , but right now its pretty well on target for approx 1/3 to 1/2 the original. This includes a note that I really "overbuilt" the wing as I could have scooped out 50% of the foam from the underside and covered it with an iron-on transparent lightweight film. and saved maybe 1/4 the weight of the wing. ....but.... that wing is unbelievely strong and I suspect that at the speeds it will be travelling with the zero'd out incidence that it will probably use the extra strength.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Mr Cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What size/wing span is it? A bit hard to judge without reference in the pictures.

Looks a bit like some combat constructions that I've seen. They often cover theirs with regular brown paper for strength, what covering do you intend to use?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

What size/wing span is it? A bit hard to judge without reference in the pictures.

Looks a bit like some combat constructions that I've seen. They often cover theirs with regular brown paper for strength, what covering do you intend to use?
Hi, it will be painted only...its plenty strong WS is original 25" mine is 26"

Here is the plane now on the scales

Name:	Om32611.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1142278  
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 AM
lildiesel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Spat the wheels and put some F1 Pylon numbers on it and it will look even more like an open cockpit Shoestring than the original.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lol...

That was just the "bones" assembled I am still going to have some more fun with it.....Like ailerons...yep.! Started those last night... They will be barndoor type and a unique method of pull pull surface actuation. ...and cheek cowls, windscreen...etc
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here it is, painted minus trim, with all flying surfaces and cowl. 3.0 OZ Aileron tubes installed, all hinges will be dacron thread (yep , old school) .

When weighed with all surfaces TD .010, Berg receiver,2 servos and cowl was 4.8 OZ, minus LG and rec batt. I should be all up about 6 OZ well below the 8 OZ unloaded of the original..and have 3 channels

If I did an electric, would probably weigh in at 6 OZ full house!

Name:	Ca80782.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1148045  
Old 03-28-2009, 02:43 PM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's why I had not got the Skampy done yet... I've been working on the flight box (my design) which will match the Skampy and the Allstar bipe.. I will do a 3 D flag and Ole number 7 airbrush on each of them. I figured since this is my first airbrush job, and I was working with a cheapo airbrush I would "practice" on the box..

Name:	Rp42749.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1167896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16799.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1167897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39953.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.1 KB