Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sykosis Plans - now available!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sykosis Plans - now available!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 02:25 AM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sykosis Plans - now available!!

Hi all,

the plans for Dave Rice's 1/2A Sykosis are now available. Hopefully the DXF CAD file will soon be avaiable over at http://plans.rcmodell.hu/ . In the meantime I can send a DXF or DC (DeltaCAD) file to you directly.

A package of digital photos is available and I will be able to print out a small number of hard copies for those who aren't set up for CAD.

Dave doesn't have internet access, so send any questions to me and I'll see they get forwarded to him ASAP and get his answer back to you.

MarkD

[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	86028_3445.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	50287  
Old 06-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Default Good Lookin' Plane !!

Hi,

If you could I would appreciate a .dxf copy of the plans. I've been wanting to build a mini pattern ship... and this one looks really good.. thanks..

Dan

aka [email protected]
[email protected]
Old 06-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Mark Winstanley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sykosis

That looks really neat. Can I have a copy too please. A dxf would be great.

[email protected]
Old 06-13-2003, 11:29 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

MarkD, received my plans and pics. Looks really interesting, and I really liked the Instructions/tidbits about that plane and how you made the hardware work.

Really excellent work. Thank you.

phil in austin
Old 06-14-2003, 06:47 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Ok, ok....but how does it fly?? It looks really nice!! I have never understood why there are not a lot more of this type 1/2A planes available. I'm sure there are lots of folks that would love to have something like this.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:29 PM
MarkD

Default Flight report for Sykosis

2fast4u,

Several people have also asked via Email for a more detailed flight report. I've passed the request onto Dave- I should have his reply for you in a day or two.

Mark D
Old 06-18-2003, 01:10 AM
MarkD

Default Flight report

Hi all,

Here is Dave's flight report:

" SYKOSIS FLYING CHARACTERISTICS

The Sykosis is not a beginners plane as it is quite fast and responds instantly to control inputs.. It has very good aerobatic manners with the ability to fly safely in winds of enough velocity to prevent really accurate aerobatic maneuvers. It has good slow flight behavior with all controls effective right down to the fairly slow stall. Purity of the rudder response is very good but not perfect. Using enough rudder throw to allow knife edge flight there is a slight pull towards the belly in pitch and in roll a slight pull opposite to rudder. The plan shows an increase of 1/8 in. in dihedral over what is flying on the prototype. This should be about right to correct the roll but only flying will tell. If you have a modern programmable transmitter you could easily dial out the problem with no more than 5-7% coupling.
The launch is easy enough that you can toss it yourself and fly away from the launch without trouble. The nose is long enough to grip it ahead of the wing and throw it javelin like. There is enough power that you can launch at any reasonable angle as long as it is not a downward angle. And don’t bother heaving it really hard; just a deposit into the air will do. With the CG as shown on the plans and the incidences of wing and stab at 0 degrees per plan, just a slight amount of up elevator will be required for level flight at anything above half power. It behaves very much the same inverted as right side up, including the low speed
inverted regime. There is no washout to screw up the inverted stall, so you can float around inverted low and slow without fear of a surprise stall.
Snap maneuvers are positive both inside and outside with instant exit upon release of the controls. By moving the CG aft in small increments I believe an even more positive snap response could be uncovered. But please fly it first with the CG where it is
on the plans.
Landings are best accomplished with power until you are sure you have got the landing spot made. Then shut down the engine using low throttle trim.

Dave Rice "
Old 06-19-2003, 06:00 PM
sturmvogel

Man, I'd sure like a hard copy of that plan (I'm not set up to receive it on my computer). Just give me an address to send the check to! My mailing address is:
Bob Peterson
390 Church St.
Youngstown, NY 14174
Old 06-19-2003, 11:24 PM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks a lot Mark-

the second set that you sent worked like a charm, I even dowloaded that other version of CAD to look at it that way. I found the turboCAD to work really well to, with the onlt little annoying differences being a bit of the Text not lining up.

I printed it out and spent a good bit of time looking over it. This is a beautiful plane. It looks a lot like the Vintage C/L Stunters that are in the new Flying Model (pg. 64 + 65 **check out the plane on the bottom right corner of page 65 !!WOW!!**).

I think the cowl has a character all it's own and really makes for some smooth lines. Are there any plans to sell a few of those fiberglass cowl?

Hey Mark - when you talk to Dave again please send him my compliments on the Mini Pacer. Owen Kampen is one of my all time favorites with the like of the Upstart and Whizard as well as the Mach None and Pacer. He had a special eye for detail that was only surpassed by how well his planes few and how easy they were to build. I haven't made that many of them but I hope someday to have one of each.

I really like the changes made to suit the new equipment on the Mini-Pacer and great work on another first class CAD job.

Thanks a lot Mark.

timothy
Old 06-20-2003, 02:19 AM
MarkD

2Fast4U- check for PM (private mail)

SturmVogel- check for Pm (private Mail)

If anyone else wants to print out the plans at home (and you don't happen to have an "E" size plotter/bubblejet!) I can Email you the file preformatted for both standard 8.5x11 and wide 14 -7/8x11 dot matrix printers. If your bubblejet printer has a "banner" mode that should work too.

MarkD
Old 07-01-2003, 01:39 PM
sturmvogel

Dave,
I just got home from a trip and picked up my mail. It's like Christmas!! The plans are excellent and the balsa is calling me! What a beautiful plane and what truly professional plans. I really appreciate your sending them.
Thanks very much...
Sturmvogel aka Bob Peterson