Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

beechcraft baron

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 PM
airwalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: beechcraft baron

Builtlight was right,the last thing you want to hear is noise coming from the outside of the plane in flight! I have a shop in springfield were I do most of my modeling.Thats about 35 miles from wagner.My wilfe use to work in a seal factory in springfield four years ago. They decided it was better to bring the work to mexico for cheaper labor,so they left springfield.and left over 300 people without jobs. We move half way to yantion, in the country so my wilfe was closer to work in yanton. I have a little shop here to build the models. I quess we are around 45 miles from wagner. It really is a small world!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Half-A-Hec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airwalk, our family always goes up to Wagner for Labor Day. Maybe we can get together then and do some flying?

Hec
Old 04-14-2009, 08:22 PM
airwalk

Half-a-hec that sounds good to me!
Old 04-18-2009, 01:56 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

You get used to hearing the ice hit the sides of the cabin, but it is always fun to look back and see all the passengers with the same wide eyed expression!

Airwalk, that is a really good looking baron. I have seen some large, high level competition scale models of the B58 that just had something wrong with them. There was some proportion that didn't look right. You absolutly nailed the fuselage shape! I am also interested in a kit or at least the molded parts with plans for the wings and tail.

The 58 Baron was a blast to fly, when light it was very overpowered. They all have a nice, throaty sound that is unlike any other airplane powered by a flat engine.

There is something about having two 1/2a sized engines on a plane that is instantly lost when it goes electric. When I did the XF5F a few years ago with 2 .074's, I looked at it as a real model plane. Now that I am in the process of electrifying it, I am starting to look at it as a toy. It is a very strange phenomen. I will be watching to see how it turns out, should be a very nice plane.
Ben
Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 PM
airwalk

thanks for the nice complements on the baron ben.Im still trying different layup materials on the plane.Im thinking about using carbon fiber to build a complete fuselage.The darn material is real expensive,but the plane would be super light and strong.I would like to keep the plane weight down to the upper 20s or lower 30s if possible. that way a person could install retracts if they wanted to I redesigned the rear rudder the last few days,and I think it looks a lot more to scale.Ill try to come up with a kit for people to build,ether with plans and a molded fuselage.or a complete fiberglass model kit.This way the people would have a choice on prices,as the molded fuseloge with plans would be the cheapest,And the completed fiberglass kit would be more complete, but of course the cost would be on the higher cost range.It sounds like you have flown the real 58 baron? I agree gas engines would really sound sweet on a twin like this! Im just so used to electric motors in my other airplanes. My 20 year old son keeps telling me to try gas engines dad, as he says they sound like a plane is suppose to. If anyone has any ideas on what they would like to see in this kit, please let me know.I would really appreciate any feed back they can give me. Untell next time. Thanks Dennis.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:21 AM
beenie

Dennis,
I am not sure if an all composite airplane would be any better than having built-up wings and tail. I am certainly not an expert on composites but it seems like you could make the wings and tail lighter with balsa than you could with composites. But I'm sure there is someone here that can prove me wrong. I think that retracts would be really neat, almost a necessity. If not, then some way to hand launch and belly land it. Nothing looks sillier than a scale plane that good looking flying around with its legs hanging out.
The sound of two engines is really something that the electrics can't even come close to comparing to. However, today's electric power can be done for the same or less weight than comparable glow. Considering the weight of the engines, fuel tanks, plumbing, two servos, and the reciever pack. Also, they are always in sync, never quit in flight, don't need tuning, fit in the nacelles, etc. And you can use a single battery placed in the nose if the plane needs nose weight. And a Baron will almost certainly need nose weight. But there is just something REAL about a glow engine. Here's a link to my little twin on its first flight. It is a nice sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5oIB8riRQs
Ben
Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video on the Grumman ben, I had actually forgotten about your build thread some time back. I am glad it turned out well.

Robert
Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 PM
airwalk

That Grumman looks and flys fanastic Ben! How big is the wing span? Those gas engines really sound nice. It is a fast flyer,by the looks of the video.I hope this baren flys and looks half as good as your build. I ordered some 2.9 carbon fiber cloth,last week. Im going to experment to see how light and strong I can make the rear rudder. You might be right about balsa being the best material to use for these areas.I thought I would give it a try anyway. untell nex time Dennis.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:20 AM
beenie

Dennis,
I have wanted to try using carbon fiber in the past, but I have never been able to get over the price of the stuff. It would be interesting to see how the composite structures compare to balsa ones weightwise. It would be a fun project.
On the full scale Baron, it was fairly easy to get it loaded with an aft CG. And IIRC, all the fuel was carried in the LE foward of the spar, so burning fuel caused the CG to move aft. Having a nose baggage compartment helped a lot by allowing you to put the passenger's stuff in the nose to balance them out. On your model, I would bet that all weight saving measures in the tail will be necessary to eliminate or reduce the needed nose weight.
As for the Skyrocket, I believe it is about the same size as your Baron. The WS is 44.5" with an area of 360sq". With the glow engines and 2.5oz of ballast, it weighed 46.5 ozs, a wing loading of 18.6 oz/sq'. That is 12 ozs over the projected weight, or 35% overweight! I never could figure out where all that weight came from, but it happens. The good thing is the plane never seemed to care. Although at that weight, flying around on one engine would not be possible. Fortunatly I never was in that position.
Do you know what engines you want to use on it?
Ben
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 AM
build light

Quote by beenie:
" it weighed 46.5 ozs, a wing loading of 18.6 oz/sq'. That is 12 ozs over the projected weight, or 35% overweight! I never could figure out where all that weight came from, but it happens. The good thing is the plane never seemed to care."

I bet all other things being equal, if the plane had wound up 12 ounces less I bet you would have really fell in love with how it flew instead of just being glad it did. It is hard to imagine where all your weight came from as it really looks light to me. That is besides the lead on the firewalls. Seemed to have plenty of power.

Robert
Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM
airwalk

At 46.5oz bens plane seem to float on the landing.I was vert impressed.Its very easy to get over weight on these aircraft for me two.Im so use to building the rc subs,there you just lay in the fiberglass,without thinking about the weight. If it sinks a little faster,no problem,its a sub!But since I started to get into aircraft,man thats a different animal.Thats why I want to try the carbon fiber.It really made for a light and strong fuselage last week.I should get the other carbon fiber next week so i can play with that.Im still learning about flying,so thats why I need lots of extra parts (ha)Talk to you later.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 PM
airwalk

In the first start of this thread,I said I would post a few pictures of my fiberglass 310 plane built from a royal plans. I did find the pictures so I thought I would post a couple.This plane weighted 8 pounds dry,all fiberglass construction. with robart retracts batterys,axi motors it weighted 12 pounds.I had to add a couple of pounds of lead in the nose to balance it out.If I were to do it over again I would have made the R verson with the longer nose. It was a fun project. Untell next time!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88281.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1186251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18211.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1186252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47391.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1186253  
Old 04-25-2009, 01:14 AM
lousyflyer

I had a friend that flew for a company that carried bank mail across Louisiana in a baron. Since it was a night flight, he often carried a passenger to help pass the time. The takeoff power of a Baron carrying only two people and a 20 pound bag of bank mail is quite impressive. I wont discuss the aerobatic qualities of the airframe because such maneuvers are not recommended- but they sure are fun!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
airwalk

It sounds like you had a great experance flying in that baron lousyflyer. I have never flown in one,but sure would like to.Two years ago there was a baron in the airport in springfield SD.I grabbed my camera to take some pictures.The pilot drove up with his father in a pickup. We talked and we found out we old friends. We both have gotten older, and he lost his hair,but I still had mine! I fired up my video camera and watched him taxie out to the main runway.I dont know to much about airplanes,but it seemed like he had the brakes on ,as he wound up the engines. He toke off like a bullet,all the time I was getting this down on video.I was standing there with my son,watching him fly off into the west.I shut off my camera,and we walked over to his father sitting in the pickup.We were behind the hanger when we heard a loud roar! He shot past the hanger,with only 30 feet off the airstrip at full throttle.He then pulled back on the stick,and went almost straight up,flying into the northeast.My son and I stood there with our mounths open! We looked at each other,and my son said man that things got power! He flew by us so I could film him.And there I was with my camera off.But I still have the great menory.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 AM
airwalk

Got a little more done on the new rear rudder. I have installed the naca scoop and scribe lines on different areas.This is in the rough stage,and every thing needs to be sanded.I plan on making a mold to lay up carbon parts next week,if every thing goes as planned.Its sunday and time for a nap! later.

Name:	Ec88280.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1187341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62857.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1187342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30122.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1187343  
Old 05-11-2009, 06:21 PM
airwalk

I did some fiberglassing using regular fiberglass,and carbon fiber. The rudder assembly was made by using 3 oz fiberglass.this weighed 16 grams.The carbon fiber weighted 10 grams,a around a 6 gram weight savings. I think if a person wanted a super light assembly contest balsa would be a little lighter. The ony thing is I liked the molded in detail of fiberglassed parts.One picture shows the two rudder assemblys,top rudder is regular epoxy fiberglass,and the bottom is the carbon fiber rudder. Also there are a few pictures of the rudder on the plane.I threw on a few strips of colored tape to give me a idea of what the fuseloge will look like with paint and strips later on.This striping was just thrown on quick ,to give me a look of the contour of the body.

Name:	Tr50346.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1196473   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44686.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1196474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48274.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1196475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66528.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1196476  
Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 AM
small_rcer

In Post 16 there is a reference to www.deboerhulls.com and when I tried that link it comes back and says 'No web site is configured at this address'

Is there a typo or ???????

Thanks

Jim H

Me bad! The link in the post included a period at the end of the link and that is why I got the error. So it was www.deboerhulls.com./ and that is wrong. It must happen when a link is at the end of a sentence.

Sorry.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
airwalk

I finally got some time to my self to work on the baron project again.Between filling orders, and mowing grass its been a busy month! I got the rear tail section done,with all of the detail I could find on the real plane.Adding the corrugated strips in the rear stabilizer assy, toke the most time. I then went and vacum formed the front speedshield and windrows.These turned out cristal clear with no deformities.Next will be the wing and engines housings to mold.I have talked with a well known coumpany.that would be interested in die cutting the wing if other people would lbe interested in a kit..I would still mold the control surfaces with the correct corrugated strips,for scale.The pictures that I put on today are not the best,but will give you a idea of some of the progress that has been made. untell next time.

Name:	Zx70928.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1218846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98356.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1218847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47355.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1218848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45583.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1218849  
Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 AM
csna182
My Feedback: (51)

sweet job airwalk ,,keep up the great job, i am green with envy wish i was as talented ,please keep us posted on this build art
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
airwalk

Thanks! csna 182 Ill post more posts as I progress along.I have been working on the engine housings the last few days.With the drawings and pictures,I have found out they were a little wider than I thought. Ill try and post pictures in a few weeks.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

That looks great! Will it be kitted?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:11 PM
ChicaWolverina

Wow, dreamy enough to kill an executive!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:19 PM
sj3cub

ORIGINAL: airwalk

.I have talked with a well known coumpany.that would be interested in die cutting the wing if other people would be interested in a kit...

Airwalk, I will buy a kit for sure, and as soon as my Father and best flying buddy see's this, they will want one as well. Please keep us informed as this Baron is absolutley beautiful. Your work is outstanding, and is very very crisp and clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am floored.
Best Regards
Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 AM
airwalk

Thanks for the nice complments on the baron guys! Im going to try and figure out on how t make this baron project in a kit,after I get the prototye done. I want to try and make this baron into a model that you could enter in scale model shows to win awards and also be to fly this bird at the local airfield. I have been working on the engine housings over the weekend.I have some great pictures of the housings,so I can super detail these units.Ill post some more pictures in a couple of weeks,with the engines mounted on the plane it will look a lot more like a baron.Once again thanks for the support on this project! Ill keep you posted.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 AM
jeffie8696

Maybe you could work something out with Sig for marketing. They are a great bunch and that is a sweet looking plane. Love to see a couple of AP .061s in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.