Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox reed testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cox reed testing

Hi there again. I have come across some material that I was told was mylar. I was given a bit of it to use as reeds, but as the weather here will not allow me to get out and try it for a good month or two, I would like to send a couple of people some to try and use as reeds, and all I ask in return is wheather or not it works. Got a couple in my engines already, but as said earlier, time and weather are a big factor for me right now. I would send out a couple of strips to a couple of individuals to try, and if it works out, I will get more to pass along. Thanks. You can post or pm me if interested.

NEW222
Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cox reed testing

I've been messin' around with some Sure Starts lately...I'll do some testin' for ya...PM comming your way.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Since when is it too cold inside a house to test run a Cox engine ?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 AM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there CP. My thoughts exactly. My parents don't look at it that way. Only 2 more months today to go till I get posession of my new house. Even have a HUGE model room in the basement, complete with slimer bench run indoors. You do have a doghouse for me on the days I bench run indoors, right? Love the madness and thinking!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:40 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is this "madness" of which you speak?
I just got done testing a couple of T.D. .09's in my basement at 3 o'clock in the morning [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

First time I ran them, I couldn't get them to richen up...even w/ the needle (s ) open 8 or 9 turns!
So...I wet sanded the front and rear surfaces of the (new, not cracked...yet...) plastic carb bodies on a mirror w/ 1000 grit...and did the same on the top of the venturi neck, then sealed w/ just a touch of flowable Silicone.
Now they will run rich @ 4 turns [8D]
Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 AM
crossman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never run an airplane engine in the house. But my father-in-law and I once started a snowblower in the kitchen. It's been over 20 years and I still hear about it from time to time.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first model airplane engine running experience was a brand new Space Bug Junior in 1953. I mounted it on the corner of a table and leg with wood screws (with my Grandfather's permission) in the living room. Since I did not have the customary door bell battery, I used my model train transformer. Little did I know that it turns on at ~13 VAC. [] . Well, of course the glow plug lit off like a flash bulb (remember those?). Sooo, I ran (literally) down to my LHS and bought a new plug, battery and clip.

Primed the engine and it started first flip. Man, it was blowing my Grandmother's lace curtains around. I had no idea it was covering them, and the wall paper with oil. When it was all over, my grandparents did not scold me, but I NEVER started another engine in the house.

George
Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

NEW222, have fun in your new house. Sometimes I wish I could move up to Canada and get some land with a river and enough space for livestock and flying. Oh yah, a log cabin made out of 3 foot diameter cedars, [that way you only need to lay 3 logs per side].
George, your Grand parents undoubtedly made it to Heaven.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 PM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumbest question my wife ever asked: "Why is a motorcycle in the kitchen?"

She couldn't tell it was too cold to work on it outside?

jess