Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Spybot (Ad-bot) warning

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Spybot (Ad-bot) warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 08:32 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spybot (Ad-bot) warning

This is OT, but may affect many of you. I received the following:
My clients are looking for rc airplanes online. I am looking
for a company who can meet their needs. Can you help me, or,
barring that,can you send me to another reputable source?

I can be reached at the number below.

Jeff Perry
Wedding Segment Analyst, NETDIRECTWORDS
The listed website will generate a popup asking to install iGetNet software on your browser. In some cases, it may install silently without the popup. iGetNet is classed as a spybot/ad-bot/parasite. The installation does not violate any laws, but will redirect you thru their servers anytime you attempt to contact MSN's or Netscape's search sites -- and may cause some search slowdown.

By virtue of reading this forum, you are all active internet users and may be in the mailing list. My advice would be not to visit NETDIRECTWORDS and certainly don't load their software. There is no uninstall option, but I believe the most recent version of SpyBot Search and Destroy will remove it.

My apologies for an off-topic post, but I have to fight this stuff all the time and would not want to see you stuck with it. The email is also a common ploy to verify an active address by replying.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 06-16-2003, 09:37 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the heads up!!! Iam sick of all the commercial crap on the Internet and the pop-ups and redirects, what was once a great thing is just turning to Americanized crap!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 01:49 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me add my thanks to Andrew for the heads up. Commercialization is one thing but outright deception is another. Sad that this kind of thing might lead to more controls and interference with the Internet.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:55 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I received this email too. K9 marked it as spam and I deleted it without following the link.

I'm sure many people will appreciate you giving the heads up.