"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

I just bought my Herr little extra...

Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I just bought my Herr little extra...

I run a OS 15 on mine with a 2s lipo right behind the tank. Fits well and balanced perfectly. I sanded the fuse where the muffler wanted to rub.

Kevin
Old 07-12-2009, 08:53 PM
jamiebravo
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had to grind a big chunk to get the muffler to fit along the fuse. I ran in my engine today, probably should have made sure my 25 year old engine started before I started grinding, got lucky. fuel leaked out of the needle valve and the muffler, it has a strap to hold it on not screws, what a sobbery mess. Just need the electrics installed and it is up up and away!

Rog did you cut a hole in the fuse to mount your battery behind the cockpit? I have seen the batteries in the cockpit.
Jamie
Old 07-12-2009, 11:05 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BPS how is the power of the OS10FSR working out in the Extra? I was thinking of using mine but I also have a nice ASP 12.

Jamie you must have an older OS15R/C, what is your impression? I have a matched pair of OS20R/Cs and had a .25 but sold it. I thought the .25 was a pretty good runner and I have a soft spot for baffle ported engines. They just sound completely different to me.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The .25 would be an over kill. IMO an .18 would be the "Va" for this model.
A Flying Buddy has one with a PAW.19, unlimited vertical.
If I had some spare time I would like to try a TT18 on one.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:43 AM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I sold the .25 and the .20s are for a twin some day. I am thinking the OS10 would be OK if it is considered enough engine but am leaning towards the ASP12 . My buddy Joe uses a Magnum XL15 but doesn't care for the throttling, good power though.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 AM
bps

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

BPS how is the power of the OS10FSR working out in the Extra? I was thinking of using mine but I also have a nice ASP 12.

Jamie you must have an older OS15R/C, what is your impression? I have a matched pair of OS20R/Cs and had a .25 but sold it. I thought the .25 was a pretty good runner and I have a soft spot for baffle ported engines. They just sound completely different to me.
Great combo for my money. I used the origional 2 oz tank with only 15% and get just about 7 min full throttle. I fly from a grass field so I always hand launch. The .12 might be a better choice and give just enough power to lift from grass. A felow modler at the field has the Norvel .09 on his and on 40% it will lift from very short grass, just bairly.

I enjoy flying until the engine quits and then dead stick back to a landing. I just use plenty of speed and energy disipates so rapidly with this small and light plane that after a couple dozen flights I have never missed the field. This plane just loves to fly!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My local field is state of the art so perhaps the OS10 will get the nod. Check it out it is the aerohawks field in iowa city iowa.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
John C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a .10 FSR in mine, but it really needs more power. I'll put a .15 in it sometime next winter. I won't get home until the end of October to play with it [].

John C
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 AM
jamiebravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeffie
You are right it is an old o.s. 15 r/c. Love the way it sounds, It ran in good and runs nice on the bench. I have not got it in the air yet. A friend of mine gave it to me and said he got it 25 years ago and never ran it. I got busy and have not had time to work on the Extra but will let you know how it performs. That same friend came out to the field with an E-flight Pulse, he flew it from our grass field. Made me hopeful of the Extra being able to land and take off from the grass.
Jamie
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From what I have seen the old baffle ported engines are at no real loss for power. In the tach reading section you will find several of my postings with baffle engines . My Fox 15 for example runs a Master Airscrew 8X4 to 15,500.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 PM
jamiebravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maidened my Extra today. What a blast! I am having trouble, my 25 year old o.s. 15 does not want to idle so I ran it WOT till it was time to land. I cut the throttle back and dead sticked three perfect landings. Ran it ten minutes on a 4 o.z. tank and had a little less than a half left. I did not want to get too crazy with the unrelliable engine but it handled great. It had a little trouble comming off the grass strip but I am running a 7x6 prop. Can't wait for the next flight!

Jeffie, You have any ideas on my idle problem? You are familiar with this engine... I tried adjusting the air bleed screw and no luck any suggestions?

Jamie
Old 07-19-2009, 11:02 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would have to have a lot more info to make an informed answer. My guess might be something like too cold a plug or perhaps something blocking the idle circuit.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:16 PM
jamiebravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It did have alot of old oil bilt up on the throttle barrel and could be on the low speed needle valve. Do you know what the setting is for the bleed screw? It transitions fine but won't idle for long. Not sure if it is not broke in enough to allow it to iddle?
Jamie
Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You probably need a little more fuel through it to get it to start idling well. The factory setting is the air screw half blocking the air hole. It is just a good place to start ,you will need to adjust it to your conditions. There are too many variables to say exactly where it will end up.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:15 AM
jamiebravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I fugured that out, they are just starting points and you adjust from there. I will try to clean out the hole and everything else I can. Thanks for the info.
Jamie
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any more trouble don't hesitate to ask, happy to help.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:20 PM
flyinrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jamiebravo

I had to grind a big chunk to get the muffler to fit along the fuse. I ran in my engine today, probably should have made sure my 25 year old engine started before I started grinding, got lucky. fuel leaked out of the needle valve and the muffler, it has a strap to hold it on not screws, what a sobbery mess. Just need the electrics installed and it is up up and away!

Rog did you cut a hole in the fuse to mount your battery behind the cockpit? I have seen the batteries in the cockpit.
Jamie
I went through the covering and then recovered it....Rog
Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 PM
jamiebravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got lucky and was able to mount the battery half on the servotray and half on a battery tray I made (I used a 600ma). I stuffed the receiver under the battery tray. Flys great! The 15 I have in it is small and has a short muffler so, not as much weight up front.

Jeffie, The screw will not cover the hole. I adjusted it to match an O.S.10 I have and will try to adjust from there. I think it is running lean cause when I took it from the bench and put it in the plane I had to lean it. It idled fine on the bench and the tank is alot higher compared to the the tank in the plane.
Jamie
Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting. I have heard of using a small diameter wire stuck in the hole and the screw turned in till it contacts it as a starting point for idle settings. Wonder if the carb would benefit from a good cleaning. It's easy enough to do really. Do you use a little sealer on the carb oring ? I am in the habit of it, just in case.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
jamiebravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I messed with the engine a litle today until my glow igniter went dead. I used RTV high temp gasket seal on my exhaust because it leaked so bad (still leaks a little). If I tear into the carb I will use some on the O ring. Ran the screw in more and seemed to help. I richened the high end as well. Still not a reliable idle.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:47 PM
jetpack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check the head bolts? Steel screws in aluminum tend to loosen by themselves on a motor. A loose head will usually only let the motor run wide open.

Check for air leaks past the rear cover with a temporary smear of grease all around the seam. This can be done under the carb also around the O-ring. Carb set screws can also let air slip by. Cover those with grease also to find out. Remove the carb stop screw and spring and slide the barrel out of the carb and coat that evenly with grease. Air can slip through the carb if the fit between the barrel and the carb body is loose.

No idle usually means too much un-carburetted air being drawn through the motor, or it just might be too slobbery rich to keep itself cleared out. The latter being a lot easier to cure.

If you have less than a gallon or so of fuel through your motor it probably won't idle too well no matter what you try, or you find yourself always trying to adjust it each time differently.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
R/C Phile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I flew mine for the 1st time today .. What a steal for $39.99 at Towers..

I was a bit worried because I hadn't flown an R/C plane since '04 (But practiced a fair amount on the sim) and I was flying in a pasture behind my house where the grass is faily tall and my "Runway" is quasi smooth enough for about 25 feet..

The thing took-off like a homesick angel [8D]! It bounced around my rough path for about 15ft and rocketed off. The trims were just barely off and it's a smooth flyer.

The setup:

- 26 year old Enya 09 III TV / MAS 8-3 "Combat" prop (Really close to pulling the plane straight-up from dead stop but not quite..)
- 380 MAH NIMH battery (Under the tank)
- 5 HS-55s' ( Elevator / Rudder servos installed on the fuse right under the stab)
- FMA Direct M5 Receiver

I'm still fiddling with the Enya, it has not been very consistant. I ran great for 1 tank then after that it wouldn't Idle well and the main needle setting somehow had changed considerably.. The truth is that it's probably not yet completely broken in yet as it only had one flight and some fiddling around prior to that. (Was in a crappy plane that I had given-up on but kept all these years) It does have a new carb and all the seals appear fine. I guess I just need to keep fiddling with it.

My CG is about 1/8" back from stock. I was impressed with the Aileron / Elevator authority. The roll rate is kickin' and the Elevator is really "Snappy" If I had more HP I'll bet this thing could do some 3d

Question: How many flights can I safely do with this little battery pack? The Enya is pretty easy on fuel and runs about 7-9 mins wide open with the stock 2 oz tank.

After 3 flights my Triton indicated about 220 mah to re-charge the battery was I cutting it close?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 AM
flyinrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I only go 3-4 flights on my 600mAh battery, but I dont measure voltage after so I would say that was pretty close for you, might try one more (4) but no more, but thats just me, I guess by the math you still had 2 flights, but 5 servos down around 110mAh would take your power pretty quick.....Rog
Old 09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
R/C Phile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Update on the battery thing..

I did twice 3 flights today with a re-charge in between and at the end and both time the Triton showed about 108 mah, I guess the battery pack is getting better as it gets broken-in and /or the prior time I used it up fiddling with the needle on the ground more than I tought.

I would (now) say that 4 flights is safe and 5 might even be ok. I'll check it again later.

The Enya is running better too, I had my muffler pressure tap in the wrong spot and it appears I had too much pressure. Also, I can tell the engine is slowly getting broken-in and running more even / performing better. I heard these old style lapped steel linings take a long time to get settled-in.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:38 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Imay have mentioned it but it would be a grat idea to have at least 20% oil in your fuel for a lapped engne. Modern synthetic fuels probably help but they still have no substitute for some castor

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service