Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

I just bought my Herr little extra...

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

I just bought my Herr little extra...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:44 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I just bought my Herr little extra...

Battery consumption isnt linear...I would try the 3 flights and then say a 4 minute flight (1oz) and check, as I stated earlier mathematically you could get 5 flights and land with 0 mAh but it doesnt work that way....and it makes a difference if you float around in circles or doing 3D stuff, but you said wide open...It is a fun plane though isnt it!!...gotta get mine out and play with it some....Rog
btw are you deadsticking in to determine your flight times?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 AM
R/C Phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

I may have mentioned it but it would be a grat idea to have at least 20% oil in your fuel for a lapped engne. Modern synthetic fuels probably help but they still have no substitute for some Castor
I did add some about 2% Sig pure Castor to my Cool Power 15% which would bring the total oil content to about 20%. I did email Ken Enya about running synthetic fuel and he said that it's fine. However, since I typically lean-out my motors within inches of disaster, better safe than sorry..

I believe in Castor : Over the summer, my 8 year old son and I flew close to 2 gallons of fuel through a couple Cox Black Widows (That's right 2 gals 8cc at a time..) on our scratch built control Line 1/2a Combat Cat and several piston resets / replacements and a couple worn-out crankcases made me a believer...

My current "witch's brew" for the Cox motor is PowerMaster 30% Nitro Heli Mix (23% synthetic / castor oil mix) + 10% Castor.. It actually makes more power that way than it did without the Castor, I can lean-it to absolute max screaming RPM without worrying about heat related flame-outs or seized pistons (Don't ask [:-] )

It's a good thing that the Cox crankcases cost $2.00 and complete cylinder / piston sets are $8.00..

You can watch us fly the Wing here: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vzPJtNqvvI]Cox Powered 1/2A Combat Cat[/link]

Yesterday, I managed a Torque Roll and A tail slide with the Little Extra, I guess the (too many) hours spent playing Real Flight are finally paying off..

Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 AM
R/C Phile

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Battery consumption isnt linear...I would try the 3 flights and then say a 4 minute flight (1oz) and check, as I stated earlier mathematically you could get 5 flights and land with 0 mAh but it doesnt work that way....and it makes a difference if you float around in circles or doing 3D stuff, but you said wide open...It is a fun plane though isnt it!!...gotta get mine out and play with it some....Rog
btw are you deadsticking in to determine your flight times?
Yeah Baby! Since I'm still struggling to keep the little sob lit for anything above 50% throttle it's full throttle all the way 'till she dies. I'm flying in 10 acre field that's all to myself so where ever she goes down, she does..

You're right about the battery dis-charge curve, to find out better I'll put a GEM 2000 monitor on it like I have on my Raptor that way, I'll safely be able to stretch it out.

I found out the Main needle is leaking (Spewing fuel) so I added a small piece of fuel tubing between the seat and the base of the needle, we'll see if that makes it more consistent.

This little plane is a riot.. I've been flying my Raptor 30 (No need for runway / club field) and had kind of forgotten how much fun a hot plane is because I have not been to my club field in over 4 years ..

I was not comfortable flying my 40 / 60 / 120 powered planes so close to my neighborhood but with this little guy I get thrilling performance and convenience.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:22 AM
R/C Phile

Another update on the battery: I flew 4 flights yesterday and the battery only needed about 90 mah to fill-up.

It turns out my throttle linkage needed some work as the servo was stalling at full throttle when I had a high idle trim and the linkage had some bind. The combination of the free-er linkage / no stalled servo / the hinges getting broken-in are doing wonders for the battery. 5 flights is definitely safe.

The motor is getting broken-in and I put a super hot McCoy Car plug that I had: it really likes that plug. It's now showing 15K on the ground with my 8 X 3 prop and it unwinds to at least 16K in flight with a reliable Idle and good transitions.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

What servos are the best. No hard flying with this little guy, so what fits the best. Hobby People has HS 55's for 9.99 right now.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 PM
flyinrog

Thats what I have, 5 hs-55's on mine...been almost a year since I flew it...Rog
Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not surprised the little Enya likes a hot plug. Standard for them is the Enya No. 3; they also do really well on the McCoy MC-59. Is that what you have? Both of those plugs have cured idle problems for me on older Enyas with air bleed carbs.

By the way, I know people mess with the air bleed screws a lot, but I have always found that my air bleed carb engines tend to be rich on idle and I just open the air bleed all the way, and that always seems to be the best setting.

Jim
Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Rog: If it has almost been a year since you flew it, would you want to get rid of it? I am looking for one for my grandfather and I am heading back from Wilmington on Thursday and I saw you were in Burlington. A quick stop on I-40.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 AM
R/C Phile

Yep I use the McCoy MC59. I have Hitec 55's servos on all surfaces and a tiny little Cox "Icon RC" servo for throttle.

My latest "Performance" mod is PowerMaster 30% Nitro Heli fuel with an extra 10% Castor in it. It works well on 30% Nitro because the compression is just about gone, I have flown it so much at my rough and dusty field, it must have ingested something and the Cylinder is scored []. Amazingly, with all that Nitro the power is almost back to normal and it starts / idles wonderfully.

I would not recommend that practice on a normal Enya 09 unless you have access to shims for the head as I think the normal compression would be too high and cause overheating / possible pre-ignition.

I bought a brand new 09 IV cylinder / piston set + Pin / Connecting rod and even a new crankcase for a good price from a guy on ebay and I'll be breaking that in / testing it in a few weeks (With a new air filter as well.. )

I also re-inforced the Turtle-deck as mine had broken after picking-it up "The wrong way" After dis-assembly I found that the main "beam" on top was not glued properly and IMO, there was way too much space between the bulkheads making the back part of the fuselage really flimsy.

I tried to stay as light as possible with my re-inforcements and used as few and as light pieces as I could while triangulating for strenght. (See Picture)

I feel the re-forcements were wortwhile as they weigh just a few grams and In addition to being a lot more robust to handle, the flying has improved as well. With the stiffer fuselage it flys more precisely / can even handle knife edge flight with aplomb (Not quite 90 degrees but close: need more power.. ) .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu60244.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1330467  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM
flyinrog

Hitec man...no thanks, just didnt make the time to do it....Rog
Old 04-13-2017, 11:18 PM
ghost123uk

Holy thread revival = I have a un-opened one of these for sale. See Ebay item number 222472935132
Old 05-09-2017, 02:02 PM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lil extra by Herr

hitec man - I had (broke it doing snap rolls) a lil extra and it was a sensational plane with a Supertigre x-11 - am rebuilding the fuse and it will fly again. That was a great combination
PS: if you want to sell the Lil extra. you will have some takers

Last edited by gmeyers; 05-09-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: adding ps
Old 05-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny how these Lil' Extra threads pop back up when someone has one they'd like to sell. They were once widely recognized and desired in the small glow airplane world. I still have and fly mine somewhat regularly. Flew it yesterday, in fact. The OS .15LA is still performing well after about 8yrs of fun. The plane is looking a bit rougher with all these years of wear and repairs but it lives on and flies well. ....and I still have the spare ARF under the bed for future use. Not for sale!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	969.1 KB
ID:	2214233  

Last edited by Tee Bee; 05-09-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 PM
ghost123uk

Yes, I sold one ("NIB") but I still have one, though it is currently on electric power, but I might change that. I have had many flights with it and no damage (was I stupid enough to type that !!)

The NIB one I sold on Ebay last week only went for £41 I thought I would get more than that for it.

Last edited by ghost123uk; 05-09-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:52 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tee Bee It's a great little plane - I searched long and hard for a 3 oz tank for mine and needed it for the thirsty x-11 Used all 9oz micro servos and had to make an exhaust extension to get muffler outside the fuse. I'll fix mine to fly again but if any more come available I'd like to have another..
Old 07-18-2017, 07:34 AM
klord125

Any plans available? Thanks Ken
Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just spent 1/2 hr. and this is all I could find Sig Somethin Extra SIGRC76 Instruction Manual It may be enough to make one.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:15 AM
klord125

aspeed.. Thank you for looking!!!!
Old 07-19-2017, 05:32 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do a lot of stuff for my own selfish reasons, am retired,and it is too windy to fly. The wing looks pretty intricate to home build, I think maybe a folded Blue Fan fold, or Depron wing might be quicker and just as light.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As I understand it, you've got the HERR Little Extra, right? That's a ARF, HRR600, instruction manual is available at https://wanderings-ds.jimdo.com/herr-engineering-kits/ - last item at bottom of page.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:09 PM
dedicatedtransp

Default jEFFS hOBBIES

Originally Posted by Tee Bee
It's funny how these Lil' Extra threads pop back up when someone has one they'd like to sell. They were once widely recognized and desired in the small glow airplane world. I still have and fly mine somewhat regularly. Flew it yesterday, in fact. The OS .15LA is still performing well after about 8yrs of fun. The plane is looking a bit rougher with all these years of wear and repairs but it lives on and flies well. ....and I still have the spare ARF under the bed for future use. Not for sale!
iM INTERESTED IN YOUR LITTLE SOMETHING EXTRA RC PLANE JUST MESSAGE ME THANKS.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:46 PM
R/C Phile

I still have mine, after over 300 flights and a few boo-boo's including an aileron servo failure it's ready for a re-cover. The engine is strong. I found the Enya .09 car version case with a single ball bearing (Same weight as bushing case) and after breaking-in the new cylinder and sleeve set it has enough power to torque roll quite nicely/ has unlimited vertical. In the end the MC Coy cold plug works best.

I did a few more mods / replaced a few things over time:
- Replaced the stock landing gear bracket with a carbon unit that saves a good bit of weight
- The HS 55's were just not up to the task fir the ailerons and elevator and failed one after the other, one in flight which caused a lawn dart landing. I now have an HS65MG for the elevator and 2 HTX900's for the ailerons
- I also replaced the stock Enya muffler with a lightweight U-control style tongue muffler, it's a bit obnoxious but saves a bunch of weight and gives more power.

I hope to start flying it again soon, I've got the R/C plane bug back pretty bad this year..

Best regards from Cumming GA,
-R/C Phile.

Here's what it looked like in flight on skis, that doesn't happen very often in Georgia.. (Holy cow, it was 7 years ago already)

Great little plane. I've been flying on and off since the 80's and up to now, that's the fixed wing craft I have flown the most. Of course, being able to fly it behind my back yard has allowed me to fly so much more often.

I hope to have more updates soon as I re-cover it and put it back in the great blue yonder :-)

Last edited by R/C Phile; 02-10-2018 at 08:49 PM.