Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A off grass?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 11:16 PM
JT Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A off grass?

OK guys; I need your help! For many years I've used brute force to take off our grass runway (with .46 and up engines). Now that I have gone to small, I'm finding take-offs kind of maginal to say the least. Today my LA .10 powered J3 Cub just barely made it off, even with a good head-wind. So whats the secret? - larger wheels - wider wheels - real skinny wheels - hard or soft. 1/2A taildraggers tend to flip over on landings quite easily due to their lightness, again on grass. My cub flips over on it's nose about one in three landings. It needs to be slowed right down and '3 pointed' to stay up-right. My Ted Darvey (spelling may be wrong) 1/2A Flybaby does the same thing. Perhaps the main gear on these models should be repositioned to a more forward location? This coming building season I want to build one or two trike gear models. I have my eye on the Herr Cherokee. I might purchase a Norvel .074 for this one if the LA .10 is too large or unsuitable. I also like the looks of the HOB Bonaza. I have a couple of Hitec Flash 5 radios, so mixing dor the V tail can easily be accomplished. So landing on grass should be a cinch with these two. I'm still not sure I will have ample power to take-off from our grass field with .074 or .10 power. Our grass is short but very thick. Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome.......Pappy
Old 06-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1/2A off grass?

I have no problems taxiing or taking off of grass with ½A planes. I like the 1 3/4" Du-Bro Super Lite wheels because they are wide and help the plane ride on top of the grass. I've made some smaller by putting a bolt through the wheel and turning it down in a drill press with sandpaper.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZE0&P=7

I've got a couple of pairs of the Du-Bro Mini Lite wheels, but I haven't tried them yet.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZD5&P=7

For tail draggers taking off of grass, move the wheels ahead to prevent nosing over. Of course the plane will now have a tendency to ground loop, so lower the mains and raise the tailwheel so the plane has a less "nose up" stance.

Take a look at my web site, there are ½A videos of 2 tail draggers and 1 trike taking off of grass.

http://www.donatelli.net/
Old 06-21-2003, 12:33 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default 1/2A off grass?

i use a lot of the dave brown treaded electra lites. mostly 2 or 2-1/4 in., works good. however, on my little cap w/ an 074 I fly off our grass field with little bitty wheels and pants! takes full up till it gets rolling, but it works well! norvel 074's have the juice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	88080_19598.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	51188  
Old 06-21-2003, 01:49 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default Take off

Mow the grass shorter!!!!!
Old 06-21-2003, 11:08 AM
qfrc flier

Default 1/2A off grass?

I hqve no problem with my 1/2 a plane have the gear 1" ahead of leading edge of wing with 2 1/2 inch foam wheels.grass has to be short .It lands real nice can do touch and go too.on a smooth runway like a base ball diamond its a bit squirrely but controlable.My plane is pretty heavy too 18 1/2 oz.plane flys great
joel