Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 PM
ppkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP engine

How does this engine perform (power, reliability, etc.)?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/211280.asp
Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: AP engine

The performance is adequate for sporty flying but at $50, they might wear out a little fast. If you're the kind of guy who only puts in 10 flighta a year, it wont seem to matter.....but if you like to put in 10 flights a day, different story. Always run them with castor oil. I've never, ever seen anyone use too much castor. IIRC, some FOX fuel is 28% castor.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quality control is spotty at best. Most engines ship full of junk, so dis-assemble and clean thoroughly. They can be quite leaky; check all screws for tightness. I usually replace the cylinder screws with socket head screws that extend below the crankcase flange. If I ever snap one off, then I can back it out from the bottom. The needle valves do not have a tight thread fit; Slip a piece of fuel tubing over needle valve and either run it up tight against the throttle arm nut or over it. If I pull the carb body, I usually replace the carb O-ring with a silicone doughnut cut from a piece of fuel tubing. It is softer and will conform and seal better. Toss the aluminum head shim and replace it with an aftermarket copper shim. I'm convinced that OEM head shim is theprimarycontributor to leaks around the plug. The muffler end cap is a loose fit and can separate in flight. I usuallydecidewhat directionI want the exhaust stinger to point and JB Weld theendcap to the muffler. The throttle stop screw serves no real purpose and can be removed set your throttle throw withyour servo endpoints.

Even though bushed, the crank had side play out of thebox each one I've seen,so a good percentage of castor oilwill help maintain seal and slowwear.

Towerhad shown them as discontinued and no longer liststhe engine at all. Hobbypeople may be selling off remaining stocks, soif you want one, I would suggest pulling the trigger.

andrew
Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 PM
ppkk

Thanks for the replies - I think I'll stay clear of this one!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
combatpigg

mission accomplished [8D]

If you want to fly 1/2A, seek out a Norvel.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Yeah - they built a better mousetrap and everybody beat a path to their door. Then they locked the door.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:23 AM
ppkk

Speaking of Norvel, Ihave noticed SIG has some inventory of larger 0.4 sized engines on hand. IknowNorvel's smaller engines are great (if you can find one), but how to thelarger one compare to others out there?

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig
Old 05-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Norvel .25 and .40 are just like the little ones.  Light and powerful.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andrew

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Yeah - they built a better mousetrap and everybody beat a path to their door. Then they locked the door.

Ain't that the truth?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Nikolas K

I have 2 such engines. I have been running the one for about a year now. It is reliable, good idler, responsive and powerful. And I have to mention that I broke it in with totally synthetic oil. I do not know whethe it will be durable enough or not however. It seems to be an AAN combination, although they mention "true  ABC construction". This must be the lie behind this engine. This may affect its durability in time, but never mind, it costs only 45 euro! 

Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 PM
smoknDave

I've also been running one for about a year.  It took a little time to break it in.  But, it starts easy and idles well now.  I use Fox missle mist with a bit of extra castor added.  Checking all the screws is sound advice.  I had trouble with the carb screws coming loose because I didn't check them.

Dave
Old 06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
combatpigg

Man, you guys who've been running your APs for the last year......at 4 ozs per hour I come up with about 200 gallons burned in that amount of time, [allowing for some eating, sleeping, changing glow plugs, etc.] [X(]