"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Comet Model Hobbycraft Corp (OT?)

Old 07-04-2009, 01:12 AM
LouisB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Comet Model Hobbycraft Corp (OT?)

Firstly, apologies for posting this topic here but I was unable to find a suitable group in rcuniverse.

While strolling through a LHS I bumped into a Guillows kit called a Fly-Boy (free flight rubber powered). It looked extremely familiar to me so I bought it. After reaching home I went through my files and then it dawn upon me. This Guillows kit is virtually an exact copy of the old Comet Cloud Buster kit my father gave me as a kid. Actually, it was a biggish box containing 4 aeroplanes taking one through the various stages of balsa building. The easiest kit was a chuck glider called "Trainer Glider". All solid balsa and you had to sand the profile into the wing. It flew very well. The second kit was a rubber powered machine called a "Stick Cadet". Once built one could slide the main wing (tissue covered stick construction, no profile) on the stick fuselage in order to demonstrate the influence of CoG. The third kit (unfortunately I don't have the plan - could someone perhaps help me with an electronic version?) was similar to the second kit except the wing now had a profile and the wing was fixed in position. It also flew very well. The fourth kit was called a "Cloud Buster" and this was the final level. Finishing this aircraft successfully you were deemed to be a proficient balsa builder. I never finished mine, that's probably why my sub-conscience prompted me to buy the Guillows kit and close the loop in my education.

On the Guillows box they advertise also 4 kits - a Goldwing, Cadet, Cloud Buster and the Fly-boy. Very similar to the Comet stuff I had except for some name changes. What was nice about the Comet 4-in-1 deal was that you got a building board, glue, sand paper & sanding block as well as wax paper included. This was a very nice means of introducing and educating a young kid into the wonderous world of flying balsa aircraft. Got me hooked for life.

I have Google'd the net and searched rcuniverse but to no avail - what happened to the Comet Model Hobbycraft Corp?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:15 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Comet Model Hobbycraft Corp (OT?)

Penn Valley still does Comet... But not the 4 in 1 deal you knew.

http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/
Old 07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a good question.
I do know that Guillow bought Comet Industries/North Pacific of Chicago in 1998. See the Guillow history here:
http://www.guillow.com/GuillowInfo.asp?UID=15551730

What I don't know is whether Comet Model Hobbycraft Corp became Comet Industries at some point or not.

I remember getting one of the Comet Build N Fly 4 in 1 sets for Christmas. I still remember the box art and looking insidethe first time!
Biuilt the first three for sure.

robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50331.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1229683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87130.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1229684  
Old 07-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Bipe Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What a great idea that kit was. Everything to get started. I wonder how many fathers and sons spent many quality hours together building these.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 AM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a heads up for anyone interested there will be a Free Flight forum added to RCUniverse soon. I have been told that it has been approved.

Robert
Old 07-18-2009, 12:21 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good news. There should be some "Masters" posting on that one.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 PM
gmawafer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Found a "RRR-Roaring Thunder Jet Model # 2256925 in primo condition still in clear plastic wrapped box. Can't find any info on Comet Model Hobbycraft Corp.