Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

CRASHED 1st SWR, 1st day out

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

CRASHED 1st SWR, 1st day out

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRASHED 1st SWR, 1st day out

Finally got enough courage to take out my first swr. Went conservative; 5&1/4" x 34" wing for 178 sq.". Built a pretty close copy of the Simple 400 fuse., & tail feathers, & Used the Sig airfoiled plank, ( my thanks to MJD for showing that on a thread, here, a few months ago) with a full span 1/4 x1/4 spruce spar. Total dry weight was 11OZs. (about 3 OZs less than what my Simple 400 weighs in at) . Engine is an old (pre revlite) norvel with carb. I don't have a CL norvel, so just wired the carb open. The engine runs pretty strong (not compared to what you performance addicts would want, but for a pure stocker) about 24k twisting a APC 4.75x4 & 20+K spinning a MAS 5&1/2 x 4 cut down to 5x4 (0n 33% nitro).................. First the bad news! Maiden went OK, but during the 4th flight, I lost elevator control. Seems that some idiot used a drop of CA to temporarly hold the servo in place, got distracted, & then completely forgot that elevator servo installation was far from complete. (Ain't gonna do that again.!!!!!!!!!!) Plane went into the dirt, running at full tilt, at about a 45 deg. angle. ..................... The good news; Engine & electrics survived. Also until it's untimely end, the plane was great. First flight, I sent it up a tad on the rich side, with a big, wide, thick prop (Thimble Drone 5&1/2x4.) Even with these restraints, I couldn't believe how well this thing ran; Not only when doing imaginary pylon laps, but also while going through a large loop, or rolls. The really big surprise came when the engine died after running the tank dry. Thought that this thing was gonna glide like a rock. Instead, it's more of a floater than my profile with a MSS wing. !!! By the 4th flight, I had the engine leaned out, & running at full song ( well as close to "full song" as you could get it while spinning that big prop) 'Bout now there is a big grin accross my face, & I'm thinking what this thing is gonna be like when I start to get some better suited props on the engine. ( If I were a few "hunnert" years younger, I could probably get addicted to this stuff.) That's when I lost the elevator control. .......... My guess is that the weight (or lack of) is what made the big difference between this plane & the stock Simple 400. Regardless what the reason is, I was quite wowed. Even though I lost a plane on it's first outing, I've still got that grin on my face. I gotta slap another one of these things together. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .............. George K.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78343.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1231598  
Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: CRASHED 1st SWR, 1st day out

George, welcome to the SWR Brotherhood [8D]

On the evolutionary ladder of model builders, we're just above Spadders and just below Profile Brotherhooders.

Splendid looking wreckage, you do pretty thorough work I see

Glad you got a good enough taste of it to want some more.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mtntopgeo

Seems that some idiot used a drop of CA to temporarly hold the servo in place, got distracted, & then completely forgot that elevator servo installation was far from complete.
Sounds like it was flying pretty well before the mishap - I'll bet it was pretty quick.

Take some consolation in that the same builder has been to my house several times - if I can ever catch him, I'll hang him out to dry. [:@]
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Aw heck give the builder a cool one and thank him for the excitement. Then take a bandsaw and clip the good part of the tail off and mount that sucker on a wall somewhere with hot melt glue... I've seen it done somewhere before.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you made it to the 4th flight! That's serious progress. Yeah, an airfoiled sheet wing can make enough lift to do useful things.

Build it again!!! More power!!! Use screws to mount servos!

Mike D.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: MJD

Use screws to mount servos!

Or Goop the stuff grips and is flexible..
Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: soarrich

ORIGINAL: MJD

Use screws to mount servos!

Or Goop the stuff grips and is flexible..
Or Goop or whatever, I agree - I meant just use something!

MJD
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

CP, YES, I definetely want more. Finally found something where old age isn't strickly 100% bad news. A youngster, (with good eyesight, reflexes, & co-ordination) has to pay nearly $300 for a hi perf engine, & 'bout the same or more for some Czech carbon fiber/ kevlar airframe to get the same rush that I get with $7 worth of balsa, & a used $30 engine.

Andrew, Jeeeze, And here I thought that I had exclusive hiring rights to "that" guy.

Vicman, I'd like to pour the builder a "cool one", but Moose Head ain't available around these parts anymore, & I'd rather drink warm milk than try & swallow this modern swill that the yupsters call beer.

Mike, "more power"??? You got to be kidding me. I'm sure that if I had this thing proped right, I'd wet my pants. However, if I ever get too comfortable (unlikely), I can build a more slippery fuse, AND, I can clip the wing, AND, I have this here new D.G. modified MP-jet, AND ..................
I'm still not believeing that wing. What a rush.!!!!!

Thanks for the comments guys, & Take Care. ..................................... George K.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

What's beer? You obviously don't know what the guy who builds my planes drinks.[X(]

When using goop or any other glue to pot a servo I have found that wrapping a layer of masking tape around the servo keeps the glue from rendering the servo useless for future service and is a little easier to remove post last flight.