Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

My first nitro plane

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

My first nitro plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM
mulikow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first nitro plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGKJnN-RvcA
Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My first nitro plane

Geez you'd think you'd be a little bit happier on a maiden!!..lol...nice looking plane!...just did clear that grass though, gotta practice those take offs,,good deadstick in too....Rog
its not a 1/2a plane, or I didnt hear what engine it was , but welcome to the forum
Old 08-15-2009, 04:44 AM
g-rock

mulikow
It looks like your either not a member of AMA or you throw away the AMA rule book. Too close to power lines! I am glad for you but you need a safer place to fly.
Gene
Old 08-15-2009, 10:46 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

He's new obviously, AMA comes later, he meant "my first glow plane".

So let the new guy slide, yes AMA rules say watch out for those power lines, but bravo on you breaking the ground on your newfound hobby. I made my handle change to nitro-pilot just to irritate "read only Bruce". That Super Sportster is one of my favorites to this day. It's been a kit that's been around for decades. The ARF version is very nicely built, but at $159, just a tad overpriced.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:38 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: g-rock

mulikow
It looks like your either not a member of AMA or you throw away the AMA rule book. Too close to power lines! I am glad for you but you need a safer place to fly.
Gene

There's always one in the crowd....
Old 08-15-2009, 01:24 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Canuck" must mean some kind of nut in Canadian.
Great video Ienjoyed it.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
ppkk

To sum it up:

- You took off on a road with cars on it
- Right next to power lines

Your video was cute, but sorry if I don't find this amusing. There are safer ways to enjoy this hobby, and without giving it a bad name.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, don't worry about flying off a road. The people in China and Japan are flying their TURBINE JETS from public roads. And if we lived in China, we could fly anywhere ... No rules !!
Check this out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQe7E-pmWuE

Remember this ... planes tend to gravitate towards obsticles ... like patches of grass and powerlines. Also, that dance you did at the end ... Sorry, but you're no Michael Jackson. That wasn't the moon walk, but you did grab yourself like Michael dies in his videos.

Glad you had a safe flight. I see you enjoyed it.

Welcome to the club!!

Happy Flying!!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Opps!! I made a typo /// should have been "Like Michael Jackson does in his videos" Sorry.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:53 PM
flyinrog

Oh for cryin out loud, give the guy a break,,he lives in a cow pasture for xxxxsake!!...so he's not an AMA member if I lived in the country I wouldnt be either, poor guy came here to show off, and you group of dolts criticize him!....maybe I shouldnt post anymore either, way to welcome a new guy..........Rog
Old 08-15-2009, 06:44 PM
hogflyer

Mulikow,

Congrats on the maiden, and good video. Like Rog said, maybe a bit more enthusiasm at the end? Super Sportster's are good flying planes. Hope you enjoy it.

If anybody has done a cross country where you have to refuel along the route, you do have to take-off and land in the middle of a road. No big deal if you are on a lightly traveled country road and fly over farm fields. There are lots of pilots who fly from the roads in front of their farms.

As far as going under the power lines, not really a good idea. You should fly above them and cross at a safe altitude. Same with landing - try to set up straight down the road crossing the power lines at a higher altitude.

Maybe he's not an AMA member because he lives in Canada?????

Hogflyer
Old 08-15-2009, 08:33 PM
mylamo

Love it . What model flying used to be. Besides AMA has very little to do with what
he is doing in Canada. FUN !!!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:24 AM
small_rcer

Great first glow flight. Obviously he has flown before, but there is no thrill like getting all the pieces to come together with glow.

Yes there is traffic on the road. But if you notice it is a rural 'dirt' road. If there was a lot of traffic it would have been paved as a paved road is cheaper to maintain if there is a lot of traffic.

Yes power lines are there. But at one of my regular flying sites, if you overshoot on a landing you have to fly under the power lines. We all accept it and the need to avoid them makes the pucker factor a little higher ( tighter ?? ) and forces you to be a more in control pilot. I enjoyed the video and yes I have felt like he did after some flights. That is partially why we do it.

Jim
Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 PM
mulikow

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...glow plug....sorry about that!!! New to these new words...lol
It was such a thrill to pull it off. Got all my information on how to start it and set it up on the forums. Never owned a glow plug plane before. Only foamies.
Yes...shouldnt have taken it off and landed between power lines...but...living on a Island...thats all i have at this time.
Will be joining a flying club now...and will learn the rules and regs and safety issues. Thanks for the kind words and comments.
Always appreciate them...whether they are good or bad.
Here in Canada its a MAAC license.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations, it sure looks like you enjoyed yourself. I was worried that you'd trip while dancing and fall on the plane.

MAAC insurance no longer covers you unless you are flying at a MAAC site or a MAAC sanctioned event. Find a good club and you'll enjoy the hobby even more.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Big Al-RCU

Hey, I agree, cut the guy some slack. I wish I had that dirt road and grassy field in my backyard!

In my opinion, safety (real safety vs. AMA dictated safety) is not an issue. The only unsafe thing that I can picture would be taking off directly into the windshield of an oncoming car or landing into one. I give the guy enough common sense not to try the former. And in the event of a power off landing there is plenty of grass on either side of the road to dump it in. Our old club field had power lines on two sides. Yeah, we snagged one now and again. Saw a 40 size lazy bee catch a tail wheel on an approach. It must have done 3 or 4 outside loops faster than you could count. Still no safety issue, no way anyone could have been hurt. You show me a guy that’s scared to fly off that road and I’ll .show you a guy that’s scared to pee in the shower.

As far as the AMA rules, a few years ago, I checked to see if the liability insurance would be voided if the requirement for the flyers name, address, etc to be attached to the model was not met. Answer: ‘Yes, all the rules apply’; (again, this was several years ago). How many of us violate this rule? The point of the rant is that there are ‘AMA Rules’ and ‘common sense rules’ which we would happily apply if we didn’t need the AMA to fly at our club fields (primarily for the insurance).

Probably a little more than my 2 cents worth

Al
Old 08-17-2009, 12:43 AM
flyinrog

Thats good Al hahaha,,I remember long ago my brother in college telling of his projects and accomplishments and I said " so what , you step outa the shower to pee too?"...lol/....Rog