Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

How small can you go?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

How small can you go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:34 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How small can you go?

I was looking through some pics and I found these of a glider I made in early 2007. It had a 1" wingspan and wasn't exactly a floater, but it did fly in the sense that it stayed level and fell slower than if you had dropped it straight down. lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46159.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1235269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73437.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1235270  
Old 07-13-2009, 04:36 AM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How small can you go?

When I was a preteen and teen the model club I belonged to (The Amarillo Planesmen) had a 5 sq " glider contest each winter in a gym. That, along with a 1/2A Prop Rod contest in the same gym, gave us something to model in the depths of winter.

At 5" you could could build a glider that would fly pretty nicely and was good fun.

A while back I used some balsa scraps to help my grand kids build gliders and was reminded of the times when Dwight was President and model airplanes were near the top of the list of what kids loved to do. (The grand kids had fun with our gliders, but it wasn't enough fun to keep them away from the video games for very long . . . )

Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
SGC

Some guys are building electric R/C aircraft that size :- http://microflierradio.com/
Old 07-13-2009, 03:33 PM
kpriddle

I'm sure that the price of the gliderisn't nearly as high, though.[]

KP
Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Back when I was flying indoor a lot I made up a couple of small ones. A 1 incher as I recall and one that was 1 cm span. The wood was sanded down until one more swipe would have turned it all into dust. Seriously, the wood was so thin that it was like tracing paper and you could lay it over a page and read through it.

To "launch" it I just held it in my palm and turned my hand over. It flew in about a 2 foot circle and with some trimming managed something like 8 seconds of flight from being help up over my head and the hand being flipped.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

I was looking through some pics and I found these of a glider I made in early 2007. It had a 1'' wingspan and wasn't exactly a floater, but it did fly in the sense that it stayed level and fell slower than if you had dropped it straight down. lol
Circa '95 I made a 3" span mylar covered indoor model that did over a minute in 25' ceilings. The first successful rubber motor I made for it was a thin ring cut from a thin-walled latex tubular device that was closed on one end and smelled like bubble gum and came in a sealed package - but it had too much power and it flew more like a ukie. Afterwards I managed to strip some .018-.020 rubber and make single strand motors that worked great. I'll post a pic of it later, my camera is elsewhere at the moment.

I have also flown a number of 1.5 - 2.0" span models powered by flies.. .

For mindless fun and games, and surprising duration from a high drop - try folding cigarette papers into little gliders, I typically use the Barnaby layout or just a rectangular wing with tip fins. Use the sticky side to fold up a LE and add noseweight. Good brainless fun, esp for those times when you might actually be simulating brainlessness and have papers handy, although I have no experience with that whatsoever and know nothing about the subject.

MJD
Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a good laugh out of that one.

I think I have plans around somewhere for a fly powered plane.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:22 PM
kpriddle

Speaking of flies and planes...the military is already flyingflies (yes, just the flies) around with cameras. Please don't ask me how! All I know is that they manipulate the nervous system to their own advantage. As for the camera...

KP
Old 07-14-2009, 05:22 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont have it in front of me, but theres an issue of the ama mag, where the micro achievment award was won by a guy whose plane was rc powered and was video capable and I think a 2" wingspan....Rog
Old 07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Mr. Mugen

http://www.todaysgizmos.com/crafts/m...y-house-flies/
Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, but those only look like planes. It is possible to make decent aircraft with balsa and even open structure wings for these, and use the fly for forward propulsion only.

And if you have horseflies - paper works because they are so powerful. See drawing. If you touch a miniscule dab of accelerator to the paper ahead of time it is a good idea - either the residual sulphur or acidity retards CA cure somewhat. When it kicks off it tytpically encourages the fly to start buzzing. If not, blow a puff of air from underneath 45 degress up towards its wings, or shake it up and down a bit. The downthrust is necessary due to the direction of thrust from the motor.

I'm serious, there are dozens of these dissolved and forgotten around these parts.

If anyone tries this and reports back, I'll draw the three engine helicopter next. Honestly, I made these too although some years ago, and had then fly very successfully. Not so successful for the flies, but it beats mummifiying on the window pane or being sprayed with Raid.

MJD

p.s. the image is full scale and can be used as a template. Fold the paper and cut the half outline. Forming a little camber in the wing never hurt, and adds spanwise bending strength.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10270.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1236552  
Old 07-18-2009, 03:10 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

dont have it in front of me, but theres an issue of the ama mag, where the micro achievment award was won by a guy whose plane was rc powered and was video capable and I think a 2'' wingspan....Rog
no it was a ~3 inch ornithopter that had a video cam on it...Rich Ruishing I think it was..won the technical achievment award