Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Just got back from a vacation that included 2 full days at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in NY. All I can say is WOW! If you've never been there and love early aircraft you should try to go see the place. Toured the museum, saw 2 airshows, and went flying in the 1929 Curtiss New Standard biplane. A bunch of model planes are on display along with the full-scale stuff including some of Cole Palen's personal rubber-powered models from his basement. Now that I'm back home, I feel inspired to get to work on my Great Planes Fokker D-VII electric-to-glow conversion so I can see another WWI plane fly soon.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:38 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Got a chance to go there with my Dad back when I was a kid. After the RC fly-in the old, restored Full Scale guys did their thing, Wow, what a great day and memory!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

I haven't been there in several years, although I live about ten miles from there (as the bi-plane flies ). Cole Palen used to be quite a showman himself. Anyone in the area should stop by and see the show. Excellent! Well worth the trip.

At one of the RC meets, one of the full-size stunt flyers left and, as he did so, made a pass over the field and treated us to an eight point roll.

Next Saturday, they are going to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the flight of the Bleriot over the English Channel by flying their own Bleriot.

Some of the non-flying planes are quite unique. One was to be made for the Army (way back when). Two test planes were made. One crashed, the other is in the museum...never flown because the project was scrapped.

George