Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

cox engine disassembley

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

cox engine disassembley

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:04 AM
RS4RACER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cox engine disassembley

Can I take my engine apart and get the piston out to clean it? it is a cox engine not sure what model..thanks for looking!!
Old 06-25-2003, 12:28 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Sure the beauty of the Cox engine is they are so easy to work with/on. I'm not sure which model you have but just get yourself a wrench and remove the cylinder. Remove the backplate or tank( if it's a BW,Golden Bee, Texaco,Babe Bee ). The piston will come right off the crankpin. Why do you need to "clean " the piston? Is the engine varnished real bad?

Later,
Tim
Old 06-25-2003, 01:26 AM
Will Sgarlat

Hi RS,
I have the same question as Tim, Why do you want to clean the piston? Cox makes a cylinder brush and a conrod reset tool, where you soften the deposits inside the cylinder by soaking it in a buit of fuel, alcohol or engine cleaner, then pass the steel (bottle brush) thru the cylinder ONCE(!) to remove varnish. I clean my cylinders out maybe once every three seasons, and reset my conrods when I feel too much play in there.

If your engine is gunked up, take it apart and soak it in cleaner, using q-tips to remove gobs of castor oil. Dry it, lube it with Marvel or household mchine oil, and reassemble.

Love those Cox engines!! Have fun!
Old 06-25-2003, 02:59 AM
Msaint
My Feedback: (5)

heh hey Tim you need to change your avatar every time I see it it makes me want to invest way more time and money (mostly time) in a cox engine than anyone in their right mind should
Heh I'm already making a pile of cox parts at work to go to the anodizers.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:40 PM
RS4RACER

well its really varnished and is starting to lock up...a very old engine, about 12 years old.....I would like to get it started again..
Old 06-27-2003, 09:59 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, if you are runnign castor the piston will start to get burnt oil onit and needs to be cleaned.

Just unscrew the cylinder, and take off the tank/backplate to slip off the con rod and free up the piston.

A bit of very fine steel wool and some oven cleaner will remove the burnt on carnbon easily. Just use FINE wool, as not to scratch the piston. Or an old toothbrush will also work. Rinse well in water and re-oil and re assemble.

If you dont have the correct wrenches let me know I will send you a set.

Andrew Coholic