Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

norvel 061 questions

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

norvel 061 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM
fggh2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default norvel 061 questions

i have a nrvel 061 rc engine ,i did not start it yet,but first i want to know how you can change the glow plug? is there is a special type of wrench? and the same for the glo head i dont know how i can change them if they broke i want to have an idea about that there is also a opening at the mufller that i d know to what that opening can be connected to what? thanks lot guys
Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: norvel 061 questions

First-have you any previous experience with model aero engines whatsoever? The nature of this post and your previous posts in this forum suggest that you don't and your knowledge is very limited. If this is the case you need to get hold of some engine books and familiarise yourself with the various aspects of model aero engines and their operation. Unfortunately there are few if any websites that cover this topic for a beginner (but there are some excellent BOOKS that do) -anything by David Gierke or Harry Higley will teach you a lot. Is your engine new-and does it have the manufacturers instruction leaflet with it? If yes then read it thoroughly-then go and read the Norvel FAQ section of this forum-and read it throughly as well. Given where you are located, you may have no other modellers or people who can help you locally. In that case the odds are fairly well stacked against you. I doubt you will be able to obtain many of the items you need locally-so your only option is mail order-and that may be quite costly. If the engine is new it should come with a special spanner-a fairly flimsy item stamped from steel sheet-not dissimilar to a bicycle spanner in that is has several sizes of nut openings, a screwdriver end and a portion that fits the glowhead retaining ring. Cox engines come with a similar item-slightly better made. The spanner allows you to parrtly disassemble the engine, remove the glowhead, unscrew the backplate, tighten the prop retaining screw etc.
Norvels are no longer in production-and haven't been for several years. The obvious conclusion is that (i) there is no longer manufacturer and dealer suport, (ii) stocks are dwindling as existing supplies are sold-and (iii) and most importantly-spares parts inventories are likewise being used up. So you now own an engine with very limited backup. Most critical spares are glowheads, and headgaskets,-as these are what you are likely to go through in routine use from time to time.

To answer your specific questions-the engine either has a glowplug or a glowhead-it can't have both! A glowplug by definition looks like a miniature sparkplug-but with a coil of wire rather than two electrodes. A standard one has a hexagonal body (usually black or silver in colour-there are a few goldish coloured ones out there), a centre terminal post sticking out of the top and a short 1/4-32 threadede length below the body, by which it screws in the engines cylinder head, sealing on a thin copper gasket-which is nothing more than a very narrow ring of copper [some plugs have aluminium gaskets instead of copper]-the important point is the gasket is a soft metal which can crush slightly to provide a gastight seal. Glowplugs come in a variety of heat ranges to suit various usages and types of fuel. A glowhead does exactly the same job as a glowplug-but has no thread on it-and also incorporates the combustion chamber of the engine-which a glowplug does not. A glowhead sits either on top of, or plugs into the top of the engine cylinder, seals with a gasket-but this time the gasket is much larger diameter, and is held in position either by a separate screwed ring, or a clamping ing which in turn is attached with 4 or 6 short screws. Your Norvel uses a glowhead, retained by a clamping ring which screws in. This ring has a couple of shallow slots to locate the spanner for tightening or loosening it. Glowheads are normally more expensive than glowplugs, and they are much more limited in their use-tending to be specific to a particular make and or model of engine-ie the Norvel 049 and 061 use the same glowhead (but there are two versions-the original style and the later Freedom XL model-and the clamping rings are different for each). The one exception is the Norvels will take the Cox pattern 049 heads-and any aftermarket heads that will fit a Cox 049-Globee, Galbreath etc. There are also aftermarket adaptors available that allow you to use a standard glowplug instead of a glowhead. On small engines this normally results in quite a significant performance drop-due to the extra dead volume of the glowplug reducing the engines compression ratio.

Now to your muffler question-of course there is a hole in it-or rather there should be two holes-one to let the exhaust in-and the other to let it out!! Depending on the model of Norvel, it may have an outlet exhausting directly to the rear, or an angled outlet that can be rotated to the most suitable position for the exhaust spray.

Now let me leave you with some questions:

Have you got suitable fuel? Have you got a suitable 1.2-1.5V battery to energise the glowhead (or an adjustable power panel)? Have you got a suitable propellor? Have you got an electric starter or spring starter for the engine? [hand starting is tricky on these engines, let alone for someone with a new engine and limited experience] Have you got a fuel tank? Have you got a means of fueling and priming the engine? Have you got fuel tubing and a suitable engine mount? If the answer to any of these is no-then you're going absolutely nowhere

'ffkiwi'
Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: fggh2009

i have a nrvel 061 rc engine ,i did not start it yet,but first i want to know how you can change the glow plug? is there is a special type of wrench? and the same for the glo head i dont know how i can change them if they broke i want to have an idea about that there is also a opening at the mufller that i d know to what that opening can be connected to what? thanks lot guys
Here are a couple of pics that might help. The first pic shows the wrench on the left and the "Freedom" plug on the top and the older version on the lower right.

The other pic shows the mufflers on tha later versions. The outlet can be rotated, and the nipple is for pressure. You connect a piece of fuel tubing from the nipple to the tank.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92332.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1250318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92280.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1250319  
Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

fggh, you can use a pair of pliers to change the head, turn it counter-clockwise to loosen it.
It's a good idea to tie the muffler to the engine with safety wire if you plan to do a lot of flying.